PDA

View Full Version : Active Or Passive

danteBirosel
03-11-2006, 06:53 PM
What's the diff of both, and what's so special about it? Not really a pro at headunits.

-Dante

AcidicDreams
03-11-2006, 06:56 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146473&highlight=active+passive

that is an active HU... passive means your speakers use stand alone Xovers that aren't adjustable...

AcidicDreams
03-11-2006, 07:00 PM
also read this

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146726

springy101
03-11-2006, 07:10 PM
with active you get to choose the xover points to whatever sounds best to you.

alphakenny1
03-11-2006, 07:14 PM
with active you get to choose the xover points to whatever sounds best to you.

but its easier said than done. in my thread i didn't even mention staging and imaging. in an active setup placement of speakers can be wherever you want because you have the T/A. with a passive it is prefered to put the tweet as close as possible to the mid especially if running the component set off of a two channel amp.

My opinion, if you have the dedication to place your speakers correctly and have time to tune then definately active is the better choice. but if you just want to set it and forget it, passive should be your choice.

TheBigDu
03-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Sorry to butt-in, but I think this is along the same lines.

I'm likely going to be going active when the 7000 comes in a few weeks. From the setup in my sig, you can see that I'm currently running the 9835 with the passive xovers from the Rainbow SLCs. Those are being powered from the front channels on the KAR 400.4. The rear channels are powering the Rainbow SL165s in the rear doors.

I just want to clarify that if I go active, I'll have to get rid of the rear speakers, right? Because even if I buy a 2-channel amp for them, there won't be any output from the HU to send to it, correct?

Not that this is a huge deal, I'll just have to sell them and make some money I guess, though I did like having the rear fill for people in the back.

Thanks!

kpr10is
03-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Correct. The 7000 is 3-way active capable, meaning tweets, mids, and sub. Youd need a full range output to go to the rears, and with the deck tuned actively, your F/R preouts are already tuned for either tweeters or mids. Its all good, you dont need rear fill anyway. :)

alphakenny1
03-12-2006, 03:35 AM

I'm likely going to be going active when the 7000 comes in a few weeks. From the setup in my sig, you can see that I'm currently running the 9835 with the passive xovers from the Rainbow SLCs. Those are being powered from the front channels on the KAR 400.4. The rear channels are powering the Rainbow SL165s in the rear doors.

I just want to clarify that if I go active, I'll have to get rid of the rear speakers, right? Because even if I buy a 2-channel amp for them, there won't be any output from the HU to send to it, correct?

Not that this is a huge deal, I'll just have to sell them and make some money I guess, though I did like having the rear fill for people in the back.

Thanks!

yes you are correct. going active in general on the HU, you will lose the ability to control the rears. but rear fill? :nono:

TheBigDu
03-12-2006, 10:50 AM
yes you are correct. going active in general on the HU, you will lose the ability to control the rears. but rear fill? :nono:
Lol...yeah I know, but I just feel bad when people in the back have all bass and litte highs. But then again, it's rare that people will sit in the back without me having the volume low anyway so that we can talk (otherwise we can't hear each other).

phantom240
03-12-2006, 10:59 AM
what do you drive, a taxi? lawls. In my car, theres 2 rules:

1- The driver is always right
2- If driver is wrong, refer to rule #1

TheBigDu
03-12-2006, 11:00 AM
what do you drive, a taxi? lawls. In my car, theres 2 rules:

1- The driver is always right
2- If driver is wrong, refer to rule #1
LOL...alright I'll post a sign in the back of my car...

carchrism5
03-12-2006, 10:13 PM
active>passive
passive causes a slight loss in power, plus your sound system will sound different in different temperatures, so if you have the option to go passive you should def do it

TheBigDu
03-13-2006, 12:44 AM
active>passive
passive causes a slight loss in power, plus your sound system will sound different in different temperatures, so if you have the option to go active you should def do it
Sorry, just wanted to fix your post. :D

ngsm13
03-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Man, you and weGayed sure do make a great couple. ;)

nG

Slaugh
03-13-2006, 08:30 AM
i tested both and i liked active way much more... never went back, but now i got new comps and im trying both to know which will be best for me...

Hernan
03-19-2006, 10:33 AM

Thanks!

If you want rear fill, run a pair of coax/triax from the HU amp.