PDA

View Full Version : Arc/Rainbow CAL 25 Tweeters

srunr04
03-11-2006, 04:20 PM
What's the lowest xover point for them? I'll be tinkering with my comp set by going active. The passive xover point is set at 3200hz but would like to know if it could go any lower with a 24db slope.

alphakenny1
03-11-2006, 05:28 PM
thats the whole point in going active, test test test. see how it sounds when crossed lower.

srunr04
03-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Yes that is true. I can't find what the frequency response is for them and I'd like to start as low as possible and then work my way up.

FoxPro5
03-11-2006, 11:04 PM
The Jersey boys should know...3.5max and 6spdcoupe are the guys that could help you with that. Nice tweets huh! Told ya ;)

srunr04
03-11-2006, 11:47 PM
The Jersey boys should know...3.5max and 6spdcoupe are the guys that could help you with that. Nice tweets huh! Told ya ;)

Right on Fox, thanks. I'll shoot them a pm and yes, those tweets are awesome!

Beat_Dominator
03-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Test test...... but don't give them too much power at like 100hz ! :)

srunr04
03-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Test test...... but don't give them too much power at like 100hz ! :)

LOL ! :crazy:

3.5Max6spd
03-12-2006, 09:07 AM
I say with a 24 db slope start at ~2k with low to medium volume and pile on the volume slowly to see how they behave. If you are the type that likes balls to the wall loud listening level all the time then may 2.4-2.6khz is a safer point.
I had them in my car, with tweeter ear level positioned at 2.5khz 18/24db slopes with a 85-100 rms per tweet amplifier on them.

6spdcoupe
03-12-2006, 01:26 PM
^^^ he always beats me to it. :D I definately wouldnt dip below the 2K range though.

I didnt realize you had em that high Manny, **** my memory is shot. ;)

FoxPro5
03-12-2006, 03:55 PM
As i understand it, a good place to start might be to find the Fs on the tweet and double it. For example if the Fs is 1000Hz, start at 2000Hz. I am learning more and more about this active stuff everyday, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :cool:

srunr04
03-12-2006, 11:55 PM
I say with a 24 db slope start at ~2k with low to medium volume and pile on the volume slowly to see how they behave. If you are the type that likes balls to the wall loud listening level all the time then may 2.4-2.6khz is a safer point.
I had them in my car, with tweeter ear level positioned at 2.5khz 18/24db slopes with a 85-100 rms per tweet amplifier on them.

Ok, I'll start from there and see where it sounds best. Thanks for the advice!

I definately wouldnt dip below the 2k range though.

Gotcha.

As i understand it, a good place to start might be to find the Fs on the tweet and double it. For example if the Fs is 1000Hz, start at 2000Hz. I am learning more and more about this active stuff everyday, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :cool:

Ahhhhh, now that you mentioned it, I do recall about doubling the xover point at the Fs. Read it somewhere in some article, probably Autosound 2000 or some mag.:eyebrow:

Speaking of A2000, wasn't there an article about tweeter protection while going active? I think it was some type of mylar cap going inline or across the terminals. Hmmmm .... someone help me out here.:confused:

6spdcoupe
03-13-2006, 12:52 AM
A 20 +/- mF cap could be placed in line. Some people believe in it, others dont. Its used to absorb extra DC saturation coming from the amp. There are a few articles for this floating around on carsound.

srunr04
03-14-2006, 12:06 AM
A 20 +/- mF cap could be placed in line. Some people believe in it, others dont. Its used to absorb extra DC saturation coming from the amp. There are a few articles for this floating around on carsound.

Thanks coupe, I found the article at carsound and the formula to calculate the capacitor value. I'm not sure how many people do this but I just want to protect my tweets from pops and spikes.

3.5Max6spd
03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks coupe, I found the article at carsound and the formula to calculate the capacitor value. I'm not sure how many people do this but I just want to protect my tweets from pops and spikes.

Keep in mind adding a cap/filter inline will create an automatic 6db slope...so basicaly thats stackable to whatever slope you chose when playing with the xovers actively. So say you want to achieve a 24db slope, you really only need a 18db using the digital xovers on the HU. So in reality you have up to a 30db slope to play around with playing your tweeters lower.;)

BodegaBay
03-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Manny,

So when one runs comps in passive mode, the passive x-overs will be stackable with whatever slopes I use on the H/U as well?

I'm still breaking in my Rainbow Profi Kicks but actually had an itching to try out the CAL26 in active. Just curious to see what sonic benefits over the already good x-overs. Would you also recommend the same x-over points as the CAL25 per the above (mine's in the sail panels and will be fed the same power via 4150XXK)? What bandpass settings would you recommend for the W 165 Kick woofer?

Also, I take it you and 6spd don't use the cap?

3.5Max6spd
03-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Manny,

So when one runs comps in passive mode, the passive x-overs will be stackable with whatever slopes I use on the H/U as well?

I'm still breaking in my Rainbow Profi Kicks but actually had an itching to try out the CAL26 in active. Just curious to see what sonic benefits over the already good x-overs. Would you also recommend the same x-over points as the CAL25 per the above (mine's in the sail panels and will be fed the same power via 4150XXK)? What bandpass settings would you recommend for the W 165 Kick woofer?

Also, I take it you and 6spd don't use the cap?

I dunno about Don, but I'm not taking any chances in blowing my Platinums , :nono:....so I have a cap on them

I remember Emilios @ Dynaudio recommending to Don to use one inline with his Md100's, so its not an uncommon practice for a measure of defense.

As far as xover points it may vary in your car- start with the same passive points and play around. Most of the sonic benefits come with the extra power your speakers see and deliver on dynamic peaks.

6spdcoupe
03-14-2006, 01:35 PM
I dunno about Don, but I'm not taking any chances in blowing my Platinums , :nono:....so I have a cap on them

I remember Emilios @ Dynaudio recommending to Don to use one inline with his Md100's, so its not an uncommon practice for a measure of defense.

As far as xover points it may vary in your car- start with the same passive points and play around. Most of the sonic benefits come with the extra power your speakers see and deliver on dynamic peaks.

Mine went in the same time as my Platinums. Never got a chance to throw em in when I had the MD100s in there, despite Emilios advice, which I certainly respect.

I never had much of a chance to notice any difference without them in a sound aspect as theyve been with the CAL28s the whole time.

BodegaBay
03-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Good thing I read this thread as I haven't seen the cap being mentioned in other "how to active" posts.

Can I use this 22uF cap (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102588&cp=&pg=3&kw=20+capacitor&parentPage=search) from Radio Shack? I assume one would just need to solder the cap anywhere on the tweeter positive wire before it gets to the amp?

Thanks again Manny for the Rainbow recommendations. And Don, thanks for finding me a set for such a good price. You Jersey Boys are da bomb!

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2264787w345.jpg

3.5Max6spd
03-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Good thing I read this thread as I haven't seen the cap being mentioned in other "how to active" posts.

Can I use this 22uF cap (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102588&cp=&pg=3&kw=20+capacitor&parentPage=search) from Radio Shack? I assume one would just need to solder the cap anywhere on the tweeter positive wire before it gets to the amp?

Thanks again Manny for the Rainbow recommendations. And Don, thanks for finding me a set for such a good price. You Jersey Boys are da bomb!

Converting Iridium users one at a time:naughty:

6spdcoupe
03-14-2006, 07:42 PM

We used these....

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=027-436

Actually I believe theyre almost identical to the ones in the RAC crossovers. I was recommended for a 250V so I searched a bit for the one with the lowest tolerance.

6spdcoupe
03-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Converting Iridium users one at a time:naughty:

:D :cool: :D

;)

BodegaBay
03-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Niice. 6spd comes through again. Does it need to be soldered inline closer towards the tweeter or amp or it just doesn't matter?

6spdcoupe
03-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Niice. 6spd comes through again. Does it need to be soldered inline closer towards the tweeter or amp or it just doesn't matter?

It shouldnt matter. Manny and I did ours at the tweet, the screwset connections on the tweet simplified it a bit as well. ;)

FoxPro5
03-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Does a cap like that have a current capacity one should be concerned about?

srunr04
03-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Keep in mind adding a cap/filter inline will create an automatic 6db slope...so basicaly thats stackable to whatever slope you chose when playing with the xovers actively. So say you want to achieve a 24db slope, you really only need a 18db using the digital xovers on the HU. So in reality you have up to a 30db slope to play around with playing your tweeters lower.;)

Thanks 3.5 about this, totally forgot that just a single cap inline is a 1st order slope...:blush:

srunr04
03-14-2006, 11:05 PM
We used these....

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=027-436

Actually I believe theyre almost identical to the ones in the RAC crossovers. I was recommended for a 250V so I searched a bit for the one with the lowest tolerance.

Speaking of voltage, would it be best just to get the highest rating just to be safe?

srunr04
03-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Does a cap like that have a current capacity one should be concerned about?

Fox, I think it's the voltage rating you need to know than the current capacity. I may be wrong and someone will chime in soon about this. :uhoh:

FoxPro5
03-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Found some info on the in-line cap: http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=023516;p=0