PDA

View Full Version : Next box, veneer instead of carpet?

JL12W7INAGS300
03-11-2006, 01:37 AM
So once I get back from NY, I plan on building a sealed box for my 12W7 (to spec). I don't really like the carpet look and think some veneer would add some kind of tight look to the box. Here is the kind of veneer I would be putting on it http://www.salksound.com/gallery/ht1-bubinga02.jpg What do ya'all think?

Eldorado
03-11-2006, 01:40 AM
IMO...that side veneer is a bit to "goddy" for an enclosure. The front stuff is better
But other than that veneer is definetly different than your average carpet job.
I was planning on doing a veneer enclosure since its so unique.

SAG3
03-11-2006, 01:41 AM
i think that it would look like **** in a car

JL12W7INAGS300
03-11-2006, 02:14 AM
well my friend is awsome on doingthat stuff for drums and guitars, so he is going to hook me up and do it on my box. The box will cost me around 30 bucks in supplies to build and another 15 for the veneer, so even if it comes out off i wont be out much money

JL12W7INAGS300
03-11-2006, 02:52 AM
comes out bad*

Eldorado
03-11-2006, 05:49 AM
It'll cost you about the same for carpet.

saywhat?
03-11-2006, 08:09 AM
What do ya'all think?

i think ur a loser for spending money on car audio.

Ignatowski
03-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I like it....

giantgloworm
03-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Sweet, something unique. I like it, what kind of car?

ssj2xxgotenxx
03-11-2006, 02:29 PM
I think it depends on the car.... If its a Bently with alot of wood in the interior... it'll match. However, if you put that in a Geo Metro... It'll look like ****.

SAG3
03-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Sweet, something unique. I like it, what kind of car?
well if you saw his name it says JL12W7INAGS300 so my guess would be GS300

SAG3
03-11-2006, 10:16 PM
to whoever negged me without leaving a name, at least spell the shut up write when you type shuttup ***.

Beat_Dominator
03-11-2006, 10:18 PM
My mom did her bathroom in bubinga... it's a very nice wood.

Depends on the car whether it'll look good or not.

JL12W7INAGS300
03-12-2006, 12:13 PM
It's a Lexus GS300 (1998) - There is any wood grain in the trunk (obvouisly) put there is a little in the cabin. I am going to start on it next week so I will have pictures for ya'all.

JL12W7INAGS300
03-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah and I have a false floor built in made out of 1/2" mdf. Its not really a false floor, just replacing the stock trunk liner because it couldn't hold up the weight of the box. The floor is carpted to match my current box, what if I put some veneer on that floor and a little lighter/darker veneer on the box? **** that would be pimp

vosschs
03-12-2006, 12:20 PM
It'll cost you about the same for carpet.
what, that kind of vaneer will be MUCH more expensive, then you also have to get f'n contact cement, and the tools to put it on, your best bet would be getting good one side cherry or whatever that was

JL12W7INAGS300
03-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Like I said - I have a friend that does this stuff all the time as a hobby/side job. He has all the tools to do it and getst them relatively cheap. He said he can do the whole box for around 15-20 bucks. Which is more than carpet but a lot cooler looking

phantom240
03-12-2006, 06:11 PM
nah i dont like it... not my taste. I think you should try to find some OEM carpet from like a wrecked car like yours, and use that...

..sorry i just like an install to have a certain flow to it.

JL12W7INAGS300
03-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Just finished the box for a friends 12W7, another friend and I started putting the veneer on today. It should be finished by Tuesday. I'll post pics when its done

joeldirt
03-28-2006, 10:43 PM
looks like some humboldt redwood. Some old growth redwood burl would look sick in a home audio set up. I think it would look really nice on a car audio aplication, but it would for sure have to be the right car. In a trunk just would'nt catch my eye on a possitive note, no matter how awsome it was done. I would be able to apreciate the craftsman ship, but it would just be "off" in a trunk. Though that is only my personal opinion. Good luck with your box anyhow. would like to see it when its done.

JL12W7INAGS300
03-28-2006, 10:47 PM
looks like some humboldt redwood. Some old growth redwood burl would look sick in a home audio set up. I think it would look really nice on a car audio aplication, but it would for sure have to be the right car. In a trunk just would catch my eye on a possitive note, no matter how awsome it was done. I would be able to apreciate the craftsman ship, but it would just be "off" in a trunk. Though that is only my personal opinion. Good luck with your box anyhow. would like to see it when its done.

I plan on selling it on ebay. Im guessing some wood grain lover will pay 100-200 bucks for it. Oh well, we shall see.

joeldirt
03-28-2006, 10:52 PM
I plan on selling it on ebay. Im guessing some wood grain lover will pay 100-200 bucks for it. Oh well, we shall see.

Just may be an idea for home theatre. Audiophiles would eat that shiit up. imagine a 6.1 system would go for about $1200 bucks. $2000-$3000 loaded with speakers, amp, and x-overs.

thai_creeper
03-28-2006, 10:59 PM
lets see it wen you're done

JL12W7INAGS300
03-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Just may be an idea for home theatre. Audiophiles would eat that shiit up. imagine a 6.1 system would go for about $1200 bucks. $2000-$3000 loaded with speakers, amp, and x-overs.

I don't doubt it... I honestly don't know much about home audio though. I'll see how this works out then go from there.

Megalomaniac
03-29-2006, 10:04 AM
is veneer the same as vynyl? also my friend DOHCrazy he once built a foldedhorn box for an SX he used laminate. he said it was a b!tch to sand, but he loved the look,expensive though.

lebomb
03-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I personally DONT like any type of sub box that stands out.....(too much contrast).....I like the boxes to blend in with the interior, or to be monotone or a solid layed back color.......JMHO!! :eyebrow:

PV Audio
03-29-2006, 07:58 PM
You do realize that if you have any imperfection in the speaker it will show through clear as day, right?

JL12W7INAGS300
03-29-2006, 08:00 PM
You do realize that if you have any imperfection in the speaker it will show through clear as day, right?

you do realize what you said absolutely made no sence to me, right

JL12W7INAGS300
03-29-2006, 08:16 PM
I personally DONT like any type of sub box that stands out.....(too much contrast).....I like the boxes to blend in with the interior, or to be monotone or a solid layed back color.......JMHO!! :eyebrow:

yeah that seems the be the norm these days. I want to try sumtin differnt. Yah know what i mean

saywhat?
03-29-2006, 08:25 PM
ummmm pics? cuz i dont believe u to be honest.

Beat_Dominator
03-29-2006, 08:28 PM

:laugh: they learn real early to ignore Lemans. ;)

JL12W7INAGS300
03-29-2006, 10:02 PM
ummmm pics? cuz i dont believe u to be honest.
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

let me go snap some real quick to prove to some random dude on the internet im not lying

the box is at my friends were we are veneering it. He has all of laquer and tools to cut veneer there so yah know

We just finished cutting the veneer out, next is cutting out the terminal and sub circle than the port. After that we will contact cement it down to the box, sand it down, put some laquer on it, sand it again, put some more laquer on it.. and a few other steps that I can't remember off of the top of my head

Eldorado
03-29-2006, 10:04 PM
polyurethane....

azbass
03-29-2006, 11:03 PM
lemans pwned

Slammed
03-29-2006, 11:04 PM

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9396/hardcoreprawn2ho.gif (http://imageshack.us)

:D

Slammed
03-29-2006, 11:05 PM
hardcore prawn^^^^

for those who dont get it ;)

JL12W7INAGS300
03-29-2006, 11:09 PM
hardcore prawn^^^^

for those who dont get it ;)

your a *** for using the word hardcore

your also a *** for using the word prawn

your a huge homosexual for using the word prawn and hardcore in the same sentence

Slammed
03-29-2006, 11:12 PM
your a *** for using the word hardcore

your also a *** for using the word prawn

your a huge homosexual for using the word prawn and hardcore in the same sentence

uhm...bro..I was saying that you prawned him....

uhm...yea

reading FTW!

Slammed
03-29-2006, 11:13 PM
last time I stick up for a noob :crap:

Untouchable11
I think on my next box, I am going to try formica (sp)? In a matte black finish... Seen it on a few countertops and stuff, and I think it will look pretty good...

azbass
JL12wdumbass. OWNED.

JL12W7INAGS300
03-29-2006, 11:19 PM
uhm...bro..I was saying that you prawned him....

uhm...yea

reading FTW!

:banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

im just so use to the hate on this board, first itme seeing some love :yourock:

joeldirt
03-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Flat black laminate is easy to come by, and curved on the inside of a slot port can do two things. Eliminate black paint which can leave an unprofessional look, and can perfectly round the corner. Alot of people use 45's in the corners to help airflow. That would be the same concept, just smoother. Could put a 45 behind it to back it up and reinforce it. I would probably pour some resin/bondo mix behind it to fill in the voids so that it wouldnt vibrate at all. Just a random thought after all of this.

The steps for the lay-up of your vaneer should go more like, spray (or brush) contact cement... stick it, flush trim it, and sand the corners ever so slightly. Vaneer is easy to burn through. Not only that, but if your vaneer doesnt have a paper backing, you will want to use wood glue, other wise the contact cement will bleed throughb the fibers of the wood. Just make sure your box is perfectly flush trimmed and sanded so you don't see any imperfections, or so that a tiny blob of glue or somthing doesnt crack the vaneer. Just a bit more from my random tid bit of thinking from reading all of this..

JL12W7INAGS300
03-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Flat black laminate is easy to come by, and curved on the insiede of a slot port can do two things. Eliminate black pain which can leave an unprofessional look, and can perfectly round the corner. Alot of people use 45's in the corners to help airflow. That would be the same concept, just smoother. Could put a 45 behind it to back it up and reinforce it. I would probably pour some resin/bondo mix behind it to fill in the voids so that it wouldnt vibrate at all. Just a random thought after all of this.

The steps for the lay-up of your vaneer should go more like, spray (or brush) contact cement... stick it, flush trim it, and sand the corners ever so slightly. Vaneer is easy to burn through. Not only that, but if your vaneer doesnt have a paper backing, you will want to use wood glue, other wise the contact cement will bleed throughb the fibers of the wood. Just make sure your box is perfectly flush trimmed and sanded so you don't see any imperfections, or so that a tiny blob of glue or somthing doesnt crack the vaneer. Just a bit more from my random tid bit of thinking from reading all of this..

Good words ;)

PV Audio
03-30-2006, 01:17 PM
That's not my problem. What I meant to say is that any and all imperfections will show through the veneer. It's just like paint, the surface must be flawless before you put it on. If you don't, then you don't get a second chance, and more likely than not it will look horrible. I find it to be easier now that I've done it quite a few times, but judging by bimma's avatar, I'm not positive that you should be veneering.

ramos
03-30-2006, 01:53 PM
If your planning to use real bubinga veneer. Your gonna pay 10 x what you would for carpet. I have priced it locally last year. For the 10 mil, a 4 x 8 sheet was in the neighborhood of $200. :)

JL12W7INAGS300
03-30-2006, 04:54 PM
That's not my problem. What I meant to say is that any and all imperfections will show through the veneer. It's just like paint, the surface must be flawless before you put it on. If you don't, then you don't get a second chance, and more likely than not it will look horrible. I find it to be easier now that I've done it quite a few times, but judging by bimma's avatar, I'm not positive that you should be veneering.

Bimmas avatar was the result of being bored + having lots of wood putty + having a box with lots of holes. Bimma in other word is a looser

Randy Savage
03-30-2006, 04:55 PM
http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006979

SAG3
03-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Bimmas avatar was the result of being bored + having lots of wood putty + having a box with lots of holes. Bimma in other word is a looser
the word is LOSER with one O.

Eldorado
03-30-2006, 08:10 PM
So where are the pics ?

PV Audio
03-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Well, again, that's not my problem. You posted it as though it was something good to look at, which is fine, but it doesn't represent your true abilities (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt). You never posted pictures to prove us wrong, so I go by what I see.

bimma85
03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm not so sure he should be making his own box period ;).

PV Audio
03-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Truth.

bimma85
03-30-2006, 10:01 PM
looser would be your mom after I was done with her ;). Your box was a result of you being the suxor ;)

JL12W7INAGS300
03-30-2006, 10:04 PM
looser would be your mom after I was done with her ;). Your box was a result of you being the suxor ;)

bimma do you feel good about yourself bashing someone half your ago over a forum?

JL12W7INAGS300
03-30-2006, 10:05 PM
compare bimmas avatar and mine - box I built with time, his box i build out of pure boredom and spare wood

not to mention its a DUBYA SEVEN daah

bimma85
03-30-2006, 10:08 PM
compare bimmas avatar and mine - box I built with time, his box i build out of pure boredom and spare wood

all I see is carpet ;) Not to mention a duya seven in a janky *** box :crying:

bimma do you feel good about yourself bashing someone half your ago over a forum?
:confused:

PV Audio
03-30-2006, 10:16 PM

I see nothing whatsoever from your avatar. I could carpet a shipping box and it's look like that. What's underneath is what I care about.

JL12W7INAGS300
03-30-2006, 10:39 PM
I see nothing whatsoever from your avatar. I could carpet a shipping box and it's look like that. What's underneath is what I care about.

let me rip off the carpet so i can prove you wrong PV audio

wasnt the pics from my last build up enough to shut you ****ers up?

ramos
03-31-2006, 08:13 AM
http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006979

Matt is ridiculous man. Ever seen him ? He looks like a geeky scientist or some chit. But dayum the man has some skills. :)

JL12W7INAGS300
03-31-2006, 08:32 AM
**** thats some nice work

mikegett
04-03-2006, 12:21 PM
It can look pretty sweet. Just don't go with a redish collored wood in a grey to black trunk. I f***d up here. My box had a redish bubinga veneer on the front. A very nice exotic wood (had used it on some of my furniture) but went poorly with a dark grey trunk. The silver amplifier made it even worse. I suggest looking into a dark grey to black wood. Ebony, Gabon would be my first choice. Be aware there are two types of ebany. The Ebony, Gabon is nearly black with little grey going through it. It polishes to a very high luster showing off all grain as the light hits it. Another choice may be wenge or East Indian Rose Wood. They both are very dark brown with light to medium grey and black running through them. Good luck on your plans.