PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse comps any good?

Slaugh
03-10-2006, 08:40 AM
hey guys i found this kit and im kind of interested on it... has anyone here ever heard it to share some personal opinions about it?

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/695/caixa8po.png

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3918/ki...kitcaixa0mv.png

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8397/kit15ph.png

Eclipse 8062

Power Handling: 85w RMS
Frequency respose: 65Hz-20Khz
Sensitivity: 91 db

- Midrange Specifications

FS: 59 HZ
VAS(Liters): 14.7
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Re (ohms): 3
Qts: 0.43
Qes: 4
Qms: 3
Mounting depth: 2 7/8'

- Tweeter Specifications

Fs: 1790 Hz
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Re: 4.6 Ohms

what you guys think, is it worth it? with which other component kit do you think it compares to ??

FoxPro5
03-10-2006, 08:48 AM
How are we supposed to judge if they are worth it or not if you don't post a price???

Slaugh
03-10-2006, 09:11 AM
How are we supposed to judge if they are worth it or not if you don't post a price???
prices in my country are pretty ****ed up dude... but i like the price and i think it's somewhat cheap... i want to know if it's worth in general terms... regardless of the price

jimmyjames1700
03-10-2006, 09:24 AM
We had those exact same comps on our demo board for a long while. I thought they were pretty smooth in the upper midrange and had a very soft sounding tweet. They didn't have great mid bass impact but they would still make a good compliment to a nice sub set up.

Slaugh
03-10-2006, 09:46 AM
We had those exact same comps on our demo board for a long while. I thought they were pretty smooth in the upper midrange and had a very soft sounding tweet. They didn't have great mid bass impact but they would still make a good compliment to a nice sub set up.
yeah, thanks a lot for the answer dude, but would you mind if i ask you something else... which other kit do you think it compares to??? im looking for good SQ, do you think it accomplishes the duty of some good SQ comp?

and what else do you have to tell me about it? something else you've noticed on the way it sounded? i want answers hehe

jimmyjames1700
03-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Well, I was able to A/B compare them to JL XR/VR and Diamond M3/M5 components that were on our demo board at the time. These more than held their own when compared to the above. We all thought that they sounded very similiar to the VR's in the midrange with a little less midbass punch, which isn't a bad thing. However, the Eclipse tweet sounded much more smooth. I actually preferred their soft dome tweet to the metal dome XR's. These are a solid system and can be dailed in nicely with the tweeter level adjustment on the crossover.

Slaugh
03-10-2006, 10:47 AM
yer awesome dude, thanks! :)

i sent him a proposal, let's see if he accepts it :D

if i buy it ill come back and tell my impressions about it

later dude

jimmyjames1700
03-10-2006, 10:51 AM
A couple of other things I thought I would add. I think that sensitivity rating is a little over-rated. I remember them being a little less efficient than the other comps we had on the board. It could have been due to the design of the tweet. As I said above, they do not have great midbass and extension, so you may have to run your sub at a slightly higher lowpass frequency to compliment them.

Slaugh
03-10-2006, 11:44 AM
it's mine :D

i'll pick it up by tomorrow... thx :)

faulkton
03-11-2006, 05:42 AM
how much are you having to pay?

I paid a little over $600 (retail) for a set of eclipse comps in like 1997. They were great, till they got jacked.

fosgate140
03-11-2006, 06:01 AM
very nice comps like jimmy said kind of lacking in the mid-bass but very smooth. well worth the price tag

Slaugh
03-11-2006, 06:37 AM
well he wanted about 250 dollars for it... but i had a visteon component and he traded his for mine and i gave him about 100 dollars more...

i didnt like my Visteon a lot... i'll pick it up in a few hours, hope i like it hhee... i won't be able to come back with pictures thou... my camera tipped goodbye to me some months ago... :(

Slaugh
03-11-2006, 04:50 PM
i got it this afternoon.. the box is sitting by my side as im typing this... i havent put it to play yet, but my impressions about the speakers design was AWFUL... it looks like a cheap *** chinese 2way kit that sells for less than 50 dollars or sumthing... on that part i miss my Visteon comps, they looked SO shiny, everything was very well finished and it was VERY sturdy.. this kit doesn't even have spring terminals, only those cheap plugs used in the early speakers... and the tensil leads... OH MY GOD THE TENSIL LEADS... theu are EXTREMELY tiny, like you could break them by barely touching it... the tensil lead of the of the tweeters are smaller than an eyelash, i swear!!! not to mention the original wires that leaves the tweeter dome are of 0.01mm (seriously, it must be something like this)

well, this all doesn't really matter A LOT anyway... i hope it will sound amazing once it's installed... let's hope...

don't take it personal yet, i'm noy bashing on it... i haven't even installed it yet... it has EVERYTHING to sound WAYS better than my Visteon comps... everything.... this, if i dont ****ed them up :(

Slaugh
03-11-2006, 05:36 PM
oh i forgot to add you guys were very helpful to me...i appreciate your help so MUCH... i know i can trust you guys... if you say this sounds good, then it will sound good :D

Slaugh
03-15-2006, 06:13 PM
guys, the kit is playing now, it's AWESOME, but i got one little big problem here...one of the tweeters came ****ed up... it plays WAY to low... i've tried everything... running active or passive the tweeter won't sound right... well im trying to solve this problem, otherwise i will try to have my money back... the mid is AMAZINGLY good...

thank you guys i knew you wouldn't let me down

Slaugh
03-17-2006, 12:29 PM
well it all seems the tweeter is defective... im having a hell of a time trying to figure out what to do... is there someone here who can help me someway? :(

Slaugh
03-20-2006, 05:05 AM
well i'm plenty sad.. just telling you guys that :(