PDA

View Full Version : Warning signs??

MBrock4u
03-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Today I found a CD that I had totally forgot that I had. Anyway, it was louder than any other CD I currently have. When I turned it up it got really loud, but still sounded good. Left me thinking how loud can I turn this thing up? So with that in play, are there any clear cut warning signs that you speakers are about ready to blow?? Thanks :)

gimpster80
03-10-2006, 04:06 AM
depends on what kind of speaker, I would be careful with volume of 3/4 or more, and if you have too much power for your speakers, its easier to hear a large speaker clip than a smaller speaker. Hey if it sounds clean keep cranking. too little power of too much volume, eventually it will be obvious. Just never play something wide open forever, just crank a little more at the parts you like. hey isn't that how live music is anyway, they always get louder at the good parts.

fosgate140
03-10-2006, 04:14 AM
well if you hear obvious distortion then it could very well blow. if you here it popping is another sign of misuse. these are 2 main reasons you will see speakers blow. if gains are set properly then you should have nothing to worry about. if using deck power then keep your bass down and decks eq should be at custom with your settings in use. also do not use the loud that the deck has to offer easy way for clipping to occur.

pwnt by pat
03-10-2006, 04:17 AM
Are the speakers amped or ran off of the head unit?

If amped: depends on where you set your gains and what speakers you have, as well as power feeding those speakers.

If off of the head unit: when they start to distort, turn it down.

MBrock4u
03-10-2006, 05:37 AM
O yes they are definatly amped. This paticular CD is very loud. I didnt even get it cranked up half way and it was sooo loud. Kinda scary really. You hate to spend all of that money and screw up. lol. Good news is no distortion. I watch out for that popping , Thanks

FoxPro5
03-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Never blown a speaker myself, so I cannot say for sure. But I back off when I detect the signal starting to break up (ie distortion). If you are not sure open both of your car doors and stand 10 feet behind the rear of your car and listen.