PDA

View Full Version : Foam Baffles degrade performance?

lil azn 06
03-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi,

I currently use a foam baffle for each of my Rainbow Profi kickbass woofers and was wondering if foam baffles degrade performance of the speaker. I do have a huge hole cut underneath the baffles for air to escape, but does that still affect performance? My dad said that the speakers would get wet without them, and it would eventually destroy the speakers. Although the seller told me the speakers are built like a tank (in which they are) it still makes me wonder if water/moisture would destroy the speakers eventually. Any ideas?

The foam baffles look like this http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/2762/baffle28yn.jpg

Thanks

6spdcoupe
03-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Theyll perform Alot better without them. Many of my customers have been running them with no issues whatsoever for a few years now. If its not water, than condensation would cause the same moisture anyway.

lil azn 06
03-09-2006, 05:36 PM
so either way, its best to go without baffles?

6spdcoupe
03-09-2006, 06:01 PM
correct sir.

3.5Max6spd
03-09-2006, 06:04 PM
I told you to ditch those things many moons ago...

learn more about your speakers and how they work;
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/files/dynamic/downloads/rainbow_kickbass_forever_en.pdf

lil azn 06
03-09-2006, 07:53 PM
I told you to ditch those things many moons ago...

learn more about your speakers and how they work;
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/files/dynamic/downloads/rainbow_kickbass_forever_en.pdf

I know you did, but i still worry about water... houston... when it rains it pours and that gets me worried a lot especially since these speakers are such a big investment for me. I will uninstall the baffles though and try it out.

thugpassion
03-09-2006, 11:12 PM
I know you did, but i still worry about water... houston... when it rains it pours and that gets me worried a lot especially since these speakers are such a big investment for me. I will uninstall the baffles though and try it out.
do you have a leak in your car or something? my biggest worry about my investment is theft not water

Ayrton
03-10-2006, 01:14 PM
1. Remove foam baffles
2. Purchase cheap plastic bowls the same size as speakers
3. Cut out large hole in bottom of plastic bowl
4. Mount plastic bowl to speaker
5. Reinstall speaker

This will protect the speakers from moisture and will still allow the speaker to “breath”.

maylar
03-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I use the foam baffles and just cut out a section in the bottom. No affect on sound whatsoever.

-Sin-
03-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I use the foam baffles and just cut out a section in the bottom. No affect on sound whatsoever.
x2 that's what i did

squeak9798
03-10-2006, 05:34 PM

:iagree:

Just cut the back and/or bottom out of the foam baffles. It'll still protect the speaker from dripping water, and not affect the performance.

And after re-reading your original post, it sounds like you already did this. In which case, you should be fine.

lil azn 06
03-10-2006, 06:43 PM
What setups are ya running?

marley1
03-10-2006, 07:11 PM
do you like the way it sounds now?

if so why do you want to change it out?