PDA

View Full Version : dissapointed in daytons...

TrlcKed_OuT
03-08-2006, 11:18 PM
hey i just installed dayton rs 7'' and lpg aluminum tweets in my buddies silverado and i wasnt impressed at all..all i here is aluminum tweets tend to be harsh but niether the tweet nor the mid seemed loud enough...anyone have some other suggestions ?!?!

azbass
03-08-2006, 11:19 PM
probably dont know how to tune an active system.

rocky 59
03-08-2006, 11:19 PM
eq it, check crossover points

UndercoverPunk
03-08-2006, 11:20 PM
probably dont know how to tune an active system.

indeed.

phantom240
03-08-2006, 11:22 PM
i heard those daytons SHOULD be very loud and clear... something aint right.. got an amp to em?

iceteebone
03-08-2006, 11:25 PM
how is everything crossed over? placement of mids and tweets? amp? details please

alphakenny1
03-08-2006, 11:32 PM
yep i think i talked to you about this setup and how to setup it up. its an active system. takes ton of tuning to get it right. also another important aspect is the positioning of the tweeters. i have read many experienced users of the LPG 26na and they have had no harshness problems. many people are quick to blame the speakers for reasons why a certain speaker isn't performing to how you want it when its actually the install. just keep tuning. change crossover pts and slopes. also an eq would nice as well.

i had this very problem with my lpg25nfa. i had them up in the corners of the dash. the LPGs were pretty harsh and sibilant but i switch it up the dash a bit and that COMPLETELY changed the performance of the tweeters. no only did it broadened the soundstage but it caused the tweeters to be less harsh. you can look at my sig to see how i changed the position of the tweeters.

i hope you actually had time to tune to actually make this claim. an active system isn't supposed to sound good out of the box (well most of the time). just take your time and tune.

also yes pleae list the xover pts and slopes. the LPGs perform best when crossed at 3khz or so with a 24db/oct slope. daytons tend to break up around 2khz so cross them around there.

ngsm13
03-08-2006, 11:37 PM
also yes pleae list the xover pts and slopes. the LPGs perform best when crossed at 3khz or so with a 24db/oct slope. daytons tend to break up around 2khz so cross them around there.

Hmm... then there'd be a large gap ;)...

nG

alphakenny1
03-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Hmm... then there'd be a large gap ;)...

nG

very much so. thats why the dayton/lpg setup isn't too popular ;) . nothign wrong with gaps though. i have my mids crossed at 2.5khz and tweets crossed at 3.15khz. still sounds good.

TrlcKed_OuT
03-09-2006, 07:58 AM
well i played a little but i will defenitly play with the eq more they are crossed at 2.5khz for the tweets and 1.75khz for the mids right now yes i have an amp on them a profile 1040 but i will just keep playin with the eq and h.u - kenwood 889 and see what i come up with hopefully i just rushed into not liking them lol..also the mid and tweet sit about 4 inches apart in stock locations in the door

squeak9798
03-09-2006, 09:05 AM
How well did you treat the door, sound deadening wise?

3.5Max6spd
03-09-2006, 09:07 AM
very much so. thats why the dayton/lpg setup isn't too popular ;) . nothign wrong with gaps though. i have my mids crossed at 2.5khz and tweets crossed at 3.15khz. still sounds good.

yep-nothing wrong with underlapping, specially when your vehicles acoustics will boost that area anyhow.Nothing unusual in the 1-4khz area.

ngsm13
03-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Indeed, obviously you do want some sort of gap. "Ideally" to meet around -3dB... but whatever sounds best to you would be best ;). But I'm just saying you don't want a huge gap ;).

nG

squeak9798
03-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Indeed, obviously you do want some sort of gap. "Ideally" to meet around -3dB...

Last I checked, a car wasn't an "ideal" enviornment :naughty:

Due to his vehicles acoustics, there may not be an actual gap in the frequency spectrum.

ngsm13
03-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Last I checked, a car wasn't an "ideal" enviornment :naughty:

Due to his vehicles acoustics, there may not be an actual gap in the frequency spectrum.

p00p head... quote my entire message ;)...

... but whatever sounds best to you would be best ;).

nG

:)
nG

squeak9798
03-09-2006, 11:51 AM
I'll quote whatever I want to quote :p:

Johnny Drama
03-09-2006, 01:48 PM
are the mids attached to the door pannel or to the door itself? I am asking because I have a silverado and have tried about everything there is to try (short of glassing)

Deaden the door and pannel very well. TRUST me it is worth it. Next, use a good baffle to attack it to the door, not the pannel. Cut the door pannel to allow the driver to not rub the surround on the door.
In those trucks with the placement of the tweets so low and of axis cross over your mid and tweet at 2.5khz. You can let the EQ do and work it needs to in that range. I have angled baffles for my tweets. They are a little better for the imaging.

Lastly, your door will have a large spike in the 100-125hz range and in the 275-325hz range. Make sure you EQ that out. Is the shape of the doors, every driver I have put in my door had the same spike.

You can get very loud clean midbass out of those doors. Dreaden them well and you wont regret it.

giantgloworm
03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
I run a entire Dayton RS front/rear stage. Really like them and have great output. Found I really had to do a good job sealing them to the doors to get the best out of them. My mounting goes Car door/eDead/ .18 aluminium/eDead/ .18 aluminium/eDead/ Driver. Also worked for my spacer :) about 1/2in. Mine are all active with varing slopes at crossover points. With a full 1/3 oct eq(really didn't need much). Don't give up on them. When set-up right they will sing.

TrlcKed_OuT
03-09-2006, 03:04 PM
well i think im going to do more dampining , i only did 2 layers so ill try than and play with the eq...btw the mid mounts to the door itself with pop-rivets :)

Johnny Drama
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
well i think im going to do more dampining , i only did 2 layers so ill try than and play with the eq...btw the mid mounts to the door itself with pop-rivets :)

Add a wood baffle if you havent already. I know it sound crazy, but it helps. Also add some egg crate behind the door and or deaden the inside of the door.

TrlcKed_OuT
03-09-2006, 03:08 PM
ok will do give me a couple days and im sure they will shine! thanks for the input guys!!