PDA

View Full Version : glue to wrap enclosure with

nismboy6986
03-08-2006, 05:27 PM
first to give you a idea of what my enclosure looks like picture taking the fat part at the top of a icecream cone, cutting out a "wedge" of it and putting it on top of a regular mdf box (one thats 8" high 20"deep 34"wide) i remember car audio mag saying that you shouldn't use super 77 but contact cement. i work with something similar to contact cement at work when we lay laminate (its only known as "glue" and everyone know what it is because its the only substance that comes in something like a small home propane tank and the buildup on the sides of the tank from overspray looks like twizzlers) where you glue both things you are trying to bond, let it dry then apply. you have zero worktime with that stuff. once its touches its bonded unless you use thinner to desolve it and reglue and for the shape of my box i'm definitely going to need some thing that gives me some work time before it completely bonds. what would u recommend using?? also i'm trying to use that faux suede selectproducts.com sells

PhatTonyDeMarco
03-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about as far as the box shape... Maybe draw something up in MS Paint real quick for us?

nismboy6986
03-08-2006, 05:59 PM
theres got to be on solution. in the current car audio mag there is a frontier with schoche(spelling) equipment and no head unit whatsoever just there interface adapter and has tv's and they used a ipod video so i guess schoches (once again pardon my spelling) will allow you to do that. that is exactly what i want to do is get the 30gb ipod video

nismboy6986
03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
holy mother of wrong thread. basically picture a wedge shaped piece cut out of a cylinder on top of a regular box with the sub in the opening of the cylinder so the sub sits at a angle. or picture a slice of a orange on top of a box with the sub on top the orange slice

nismboy6986
03-08-2006, 06:08 PM
i much rather wait until i'm finished before i post pics of the box since i have to burn them on a cd since my home computer wont go on the internet and i can't dowload software on this public computer i'm on. its a rather complex shape since it go from horizontal to flat to vertical and around should i just use super 77 or what.

PhatTonyDeMarco
03-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Any good at fiberglassing?

Or you could use bondo, should hold fairly well.

Ingleside
03-08-2006, 06:42 PM
my head is going to assplode after reading all that.
icecream cones, orange slices, ipods... KABOOM!

does your box look like this?
http://kickin-it.com/icecreambox.JPG

phantom240
03-08-2006, 10:25 PM
bondo is teh gayness when it comes to vibration. I would say use contact cement, or super77 might work... or some gasket adhesive would work... some really heavy duty gasket adhesive.... hell i even have some at work that comes in an aerosol can! lolz

MetalHead888
03-09-2006, 05:39 PM
im not quite sure what exactly your glueing... and i have no idea what ur talking about... just glue the box...clamp it up...and screw that ***** together then seal it up real nice

nismboy6986
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
if that confused you don't ever talk to me when i'm high i was a only child picies so there is no telling what i would say. but to be as simple as possible think of a cylinder now lets cut out a cross sectional area of it ( think how you would slice a pepperoni sausage) that is wedge shaped now lets place that shape on a box. and to be specific since i don't know where the last post comes from i'm not talking about building a box i'm talking about what is the best glue to use to wrap a faux suede fabric on it. should i just use super 77 or use contact adhesive

phantom240
03-13-2006, 11:07 PM
lol.. you still dont make much sense until teh end.... but yeah super77 is teh shiznitty when it comes to gluing fabric on.

THUNDERBIRD
03-14-2006, 12:06 AM
lol.. you still dont make much sense until teh end.... but yeah super77 is teh shiznitty when it comes to gluing fabric on.
yeah take a pic of the enclosure and super 90 is so much better. i have carpet glued to my trunk lid and has been there threw the winter

joeldirt
03-14-2006, 12:24 AM
What type of laminate work do you do? I work in a custom high end architectual case work and mill work shop. I am fairly new to the trade, (just got done w/ USMC) We do banks, courthouses and alot of schools. Is your glue clear, or green? We just got this 80 gallon tank that looks like a big propane tank that we have to wheel arround the shop. THat stuff is more forgiving actually then actual contact cement. We use a binks spray pot to soot that, and once that is stuck, your f***. super 77 ***** imo, but it is the best you can get if you don't want to mess w/ contact cement. It also depends on what your sticking. SOme stuff sticks alot easier then other stuff.

nVRuckus
03-14-2006, 11:42 AM
yeah take a pic of the enclosure and super 90 is so much better. i have carpet glued to my trunk lid and has been there threw the winter
I use super 90 too but then again I dont have a compressor good enoguht to use professional spray glue :D

TypeRBass
03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
i use loc-tite industrial strength adhesive...it rules all. imo better than any 3M

nismboy6986
03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
but does that stuff have any work time since my enclosure makes the transition from horizontal and flat to vertical and round pretty sharply and i would need time to work out the wrinkles. sound like i will be using super 90 then. the stuff we use at work is red. we just do shelves and **** for stores. i personally would buy any of that crap for the price they charge. (its just melamine and then how we basically just use crayons to fix chips in laminate ect)