PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse 8455 vs 8445

kingsxman
03-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Is there a big difference in sound or features? I'm looking at a Alpine 9855 also.
I think the 8455 is out of my price range however...

headless
03-08-2006, 01:49 PM
The 8445, from what i understand, does not have the same flexibility in crossover tuning and PEQ as the 8455. Other than that i don't believe there are other notable differences. There are a few other threads about this topic on the forums, do a search and i'm sure you'll see them.

alphakenny1
03-08-2006, 03:36 PM
yea it depends on what your setup is. if you go active either get the eclipse 8455 or the alpine 9855 because both of those HUs have built in 3 way crossovers. but if you are going with a passive setup, get the 8445.

kingsxman
03-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Do they offer more flexibility than the Alpine 9855? I'm mainly concerned with decent time alighnment and EQ settings. (ability to adjust sub level and eq quickly). I know the 9855 has this ability.

headless
03-08-2006, 05:57 PM
if the time alignment on the 8455 is like it is on my 8454 (i've read that it is), adjusting the sub level down is a bit of a *****.

You get a sub - L and a sub - R to adjust, separately, and it's a slow *** process which requires repeatedly pressing seek up, seek up, seek up to increase the level by 1db at a time, or decrease by 1db at a time. The ****ers made the twist nob adjust the delay time in 10ths of a ms. I thought this was a stupid design decision. Ideally, the nob would adjust the volume, where the seek adjusts the delay in ms since you will be adjusting volume a whole lot more than delay...and it'd be nice if there was a way to link low - R and low - L together (at the least. I'd like to be able to adjust both mid woofers or both tweets together too...) so you could just adjust your subwoofer output by twisting the nob.

kingsxman
03-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Ahh...that could be a dealbreaker...

headless
03-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Ahh...that could be a dealbreaker...
I should mention that if you don't use the Pro mode with the 3-way crossover and 10band PEQ, you can adjust your SUB-W out as normal ;) Push volume button to go through bal/fad/etc until you see NON-FADER...twist volume nob to adjust NF out up or down. But if you're not going to use pro mode...get the 8445 ;)

alphakenny1
03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
yes i admit, its a PITA to adjust it like that but its a PITA that i wouldn't mind in terms of flexbility. eclipse has that setup because well when you are in pro mode you want to T/A the speakers indepedently not as midwoofer and tweeter. Also you can change the mid woofer and tweeter together, its called mid and treble.

again i admit its a PITA to actually turn off the speakers because you have to push the buttons down all the down to -30db from 0db but its a PITA i'd gladly have. also you can use your presets to preset a speaker to be turned off. not that hard. i prefer to look at the quality of the features and work around that.

headless
03-09-2006, 02:16 PM
yes i admit, its a PITA to adjust it like that but its a PITA that i wouldn't mind in terms of flexbility. eclipse has that setup because well when you are in pro mode you want to T/A the speakers indepedently not as midwoofer and tweeter. Also you can change the mid woofer and tweeter together, its called mid and treble.

again i admit its a PITA to actually turn off the speakers because you have to push the buttons down all the down to -30db from 0db but its a PITA i'd gladly have. also you can use your presets to preset a speaker to be turned off. not that hard. i prefer to look at the quality of the features and work around that.

I'm not really disagreeing that it's useful from a flexibility standpoint; in fact, i've got the time alignment in my car set so that each of my 4 front-stage speakers (2 tweets and 2 woofers) are delayed by a unique amount measured off specifically, so i completely see the usefulness of them being adjustable separately. It would simply be convenient to be able to adjust the volume independently from the time alignment, or if needed to be in the time alignment screen, be able to link sub-w L and R together, or mid L and R together, etc. for the purpose of adjusting volume instead of delay. The problem is that there is no alternative method to adjust volume level output (especially on the nonfader out) except through the time alignment screen which requires that i adjust Bass-R and Bass-L separately and tediously.

I notice you mentioned a preset that would allow me to change that stuff on the fly -- i'll take a look in my manual again because i must have missed that :D I really wanted that feature, too, since generally i have 1 setting for listening to good, high quality and bass heavy music, and another for lower quality, thinner bass music where it needs the level a little higher, so 2 or 3 presets would get me cookin' :)

alphakenny1
03-09-2006, 02:19 PM
yea the eclipse allows 5 sets of presets i think. i think the 8454 and the 8455 are similar so i think you set those presets on the PEQ. it'll save your PEQ settings, T/A settings along with the attenuation settings you have for those speakers. for my HU just hold either numbers 1-5 to set the preset.

headless
03-09-2006, 02:21 PM
yea the eclipse allows 5 sets of presets i think. i think the 8454 and the 8455 are similar so i think you set those presets on the PEQ. it'll save your PEQ settings, T/A settings along with the attenuation settings you have for those speakers. for my HU just hold either numbers 1-5 to set the preset.

Oh rock on, so the presets get set on the PEQ screen, but effect other screens also. Thanks for the information -- i haven't gotten to adjusting the PEQ yet so i hadn't gotten deep into the instructions surrounding that screen :D

alphakenny1
03-09-2006, 02:24 PM
yea on my first three settings: 1) T/Ad for me :D. 2) no T/A 3) T/Ad for passenger. 4 and 5 i believe for me are types of songs. as you stated bass heavy, etc....

headless
03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
yea on my first three settings: 1) T/Ad for me :D. 2) no T/A 3) T/Ad for passenger. 4 and 5 i believe for me are types of songs. as you stated bass heavy, etc....

Totally Awesome. I'm completely going to do that. I had considered previously that any time i set the TA for me...i'd be screwing over my passengers even worse.
Then i thought.
Feck em.

Now, i can be extra nice to random individuals and give them their own dose of accurate TA :D

alphakenny1
03-09-2006, 03:18 PM
lol. yea its funny when random people come into my car and its T/Ad to me, then all of a sudden i'll T/A to them...one guy was like "did you add power?" i'm like no. hahha.