PDA

View Full Version : Jeep TJ questions

canadian_mofo
03-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Ok first is to confirm the size of the stock speakers. From what i read its 5.25 for the sound bar and 4X6 in the dash?? That correct? And next its a brand new 2005 TJ. Anyone heard of the installation of an aftermarket HU voiding any part of the chrysler warrenty? THe GF is quite worried about that? How about an amp install that void any part of the warrenty?

NE14MX
03-07-2006, 12:38 PM
The speaker sizes are correct, 5 1/4 for the rear soundbar and 4x6 for the front, it you're going stock. You can fit 6.5's in the rear with a little work and 5 1/4 in the front with a little work. Just depends on if you want to buy and bolt them directly in or not. The warranty issue is something you should take up with your dealer. I had my 02 in for warranty work and had new speakers all around, Alpine HU with two 10 inch subs and 2 amps installed by myself. They didn't ask me any questions but it may depend on the type of warranty work involved too (I'm sure an alternator would raise more eyebrows from a dealer than say a brake problem).

canadian_mofo
03-07-2006, 12:44 PM
ok thanks. And what type of work would be needed to make those larger speakers fit? Dont really want to do any cutting on my GF's new TJ. Can you maybe point me in the direction of where to find info on achieving this??

canadian_mofo
03-08-2006, 11:55 AM
so how do i get 6.5's in the roll bar if the stock are 5.25's?? Think for the front i might go with the 4X6 Kappa plates.

Darth Audio
03-08-2006, 12:44 PM
If you use a wiring harness adapter and leave the stock wiring uncut you will not void any warranties. In the past I dealt with a dealership who said that the system I installed for a customer messed up the air conditioning . But for some reason when I asked them to put the reason in writing I didn't hear from them again. Warranty work costs them money so they will do anything to push it off on someone else. So go ahead and replace the HU and speakers if you want you won't have any issues. And BTW if it's your GF's new car just go with stock size replacements. You won't be able to tell the difference between a 6.5 and 5.25 in the rollbar anyway same goes for the dash.

canadian_mofo
03-08-2006, 12:49 PM
thanks very much. Seeing as its new ill just get the place i buy the HU from to install the Deck. I can do it, its easy but then if something arises the GF cant blame me it will be between the dealership and the audio shop.