PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter placement

chargers
03-06-2006, 05:22 PM
It's been a little over two years and I have not taken care of this problem. I have CDT components, CL-something, and they have not been able to keep up with my 12" XXX or my 15" Avalanche. The midbass is non-existant, but what's worse is that the tweeters are way too harsh on some songs. Mainly when I play rap and there's a tapping beat or when a word containing the letter 's' is played.

I can't do anything about it with the settings on my amp or HU, so I'm guessing the best thing to do would be to relocate the tweeters. Right now they are in the sail panels in my 2002 Civic LX sedan, normally where stock tweeters would be located in any vehicle. Where do you suggest would be the best place to mount tweeters so they don't sound as harsh to the ears? Thanks.

chargers
03-06-2006, 05:25 PM
How would they sound if I aimed the tweeters toward the windshield?

AcidicDreams
03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
I beleive proper placement is as close to the woofer as possible aiming towards your ears. I think CDT's are just bright. Get a set of Rainbow SLC's for ~$240 to fix your problem :)

squeak9798
03-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Place them down lower and/or more off-axis.

Best thing to do is just to play with it. Grab some double sided tape of velcro and get to listening.

AcidicDreams
03-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Place them down lower and/or more off-axis.

Best thing to do is just to play with it. Grab some double sided tape of velcro and get to listening.

that's a good idea....

chargers
03-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys. I'd fix this right now, but I'm at school.

chargers
03-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I also found this bit of information at SD, so I will try this too:

"FYI, I emailed CDT last year about this very thing. They said that if you have the 560 x-overs and aren't using any image tweeters, then you could plug into the "image" tweeter connection on the x-over. It's supposed to give a -3db drop as compared to the normal tweeter connection.

At least that is what they told me."