PDA

View Full Version : cheap foam speaker enclosure ???

pluto
03-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Are those cheap neoprene foam speaker enclosures any good ? You know, the ones that fit on the back of the speaker when you install the speaker. they are supposed to keep water amd dirt from getting to the speaker. I need to know pretty quick as i am doing my install pretty soon. Seems like a good idea but i dont want to waste money if i dont have to . any help much appreciated.

jeeper07
03-06-2006, 09:22 AM
i believe they are called baffles and yes they help well worth the 8 bucks or so per pair

~Magick_Man~
03-06-2006, 09:25 AM
they work well to keep water and debris off the speaker but alot of people have suggested cutting out the bottom of the foam baffle because most speakers dont like being in that small of an enclosure.
so with the bottom cut out your speaker will be protected and you wont have to worry about any negative effects of the small size.
however i have not used these personally so your experience may differ.
hopefully somebody that has will comment.

~Magick_Man~

pluto
03-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks Jeeper07- Do I need to cut out the bottom part of the baffle for the speaker to perform properly? Just want to do it right. I have read on a previous post somewhere that the speaker would not perform correctly in such a small enclosure without any space or air for the soundwaves to escape. Does this make any sense? thanks

pluto
03-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Magick Man----- you type faster than me.

squeak9798
03-06-2006, 11:05 AM
You can try it both ways.

Install the speakers without the baffle, then install them with the baffle (without anything cut out) and listen to it each way. If they sounded better without the baffle...then cut the bottom out of the baffle before you permanently install it.

UndercoverPunk
03-06-2006, 11:10 AM
I used them a few years ago. I cut the bottom off of mine.... before I did that I could hear them popping and such. They went ra-pa-pap-a-pa-papapp-ra!
But that was also before I had done any damping to the doors.

So take it for what it's worth.

pluto
03-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on deadening the doors and I think that I will just cut the baffles in two peices to keep the speakers dry!