PDA

View Full Version : Determining correct installation from specs?

heyman421
03-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Is there a way to determine the best installation for a set of components from specs? Example, i'm putting in a set of kenwood xxv-04s components in the front doors next weekend, and i don't know if those speakers would sound better infinite baffle, like a typical component install, or if the speakers are best suited for a sealed enclosure-type installation.

Are there specs to look at when determining the best install for a given speaker? Or do people just trial and error to find the best sound with a current setup? I'm paying a shop to install the speakers, considering my factory speakers are 5.25" speakers, and the kenwoods are gonna take some crazy cutting/fitting to fit in my doors either way, so i wanna cut costs by getting the install correct the first time, rather than trying different setups.

Here's the specs of the speakers, in case someone can help me out.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3JDO5ItHl80/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52100&id=features_and_specs&i=113XXV04S#Tab

And also, i'll be feeding the speakers 88w rms, and i'm running 12" type-x's for subs, which i've heard don't handle 60hz+ very well, so i'd like to hit somewhere in the 70-80hz range with the components, or lower, so i have good full-frequency output on my midbass.

Thanks in advance! It's really hard to get much info as far as people's experience with these speakers, cause it seems like nobody on the planet has them/likes them/is willing to give them a chance.

squeak9798
03-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Well, yes, you can get an idea of how the speaker would perform in either IB or sealed by looking at the T/S specs for the mid. However, most companies don't release this information for their mids, and that information is not on that link you provided.

My suggestion...call Kenwood. Chances are very high it will perform well infinite baffle. But, they would be able to advise you on enclosure size if they would perform well enclosed aswell.