PDA

View Full Version : 18 XXX box that will fit in my avenger?

SwaveY
03-06-2006, 01:00 AM
I have a 99 avenger. Dedicating all the trunk space to this 18. I was hoping i could keep my seat if i just make a sealed box. I was wondering what specs i should make it tho in order to fit into my trunk. I figuired i could get some ideas on here, make it out of cardboard, then see if it will fit in the trunk before i made it. I have 2 4x8' sheets of 3/4 MDF here so im all set to go :naughty: .Any help would be great. I can get pictures of the trunk and whatnot after school tomorrow (around 4) if its a need. Thanks

Oh, I will be powering it with a viper 2500d

jalverson
03-06-2006, 08:30 AM
your max dimensions would be good. :)

SwaveY
03-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Let me go measure... might be kinda hard to explain. My max dimensions wouldnt be as big as my trunk though because obviously a box as big as my trunk wont fit INTO my trunk. I dont know how to go about measuring the trunk.... Ill figuire it out. Ill like...take pictures and ****.

InhumanAcura
03-06-2006, 05:29 PM
youre gonna have to build inside the trunk...once you get the box built, its gonna be pretty tough to get the sub in there too.

Slowd N Throwd
03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Let me go measure... might be kinda hard to explain. My max dimensions wouldnt be as big as my trunk though because obviously a box as big as my trunk wont fit INTO my trunk. I dont know how to go about measuring the trunk.... Ill figuire it out. Ill like...take pictures and ****.
Thats the hardest part, building a box that will go into your trunk. we had a hell of a time just tryin to get 3cubes into my freinds trunk then we had to put the sub in.

Chevyaudio
03-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Yeah I agree, to get that thing proper airspace you are going to need to do an in-trunk build...that is if you even have enough room

PepsiFiend69
03-06-2006, 05:37 PM
i hate getting boxes in my trunk, the trunk is huge but the trunk opening is tiny.

you might be bettter off going with a box that has a rear facing port, and mounting the sub on top of the box, that way it's easier to get the sub in.

that's how i have my 18" sx set up. i expected to have cancellation, but it ended up being louder than my 2 12" l7's were

at any rate.

good luck.

InhumanAcura
03-06-2006, 05:40 PM
i hate getting boxes in my trunk, the trunk is huge but the trunk opening is tiny.

you might be bettter off going with a box that has a rear facing port, and mounting the sub on top of the box, that way it's easier to get the sub in.

that's how i have my 18" sx set up. i expected to have cancellation, but it ended up being louder than my 2 12" l7's were

at any rate.

good luck.

there is no way he is getting a ported box for an 18" in there...not gonna happen..sealed, i honestly dont think he'll be able to get the box built large enough and still be able to get the sub in there...

PepsiFiend69
03-06-2006, 05:43 PM
there is no way he is getting a ported box for an 18" in there...not gonna happen..sealed, i honestly dont think he'll be able to get the box built large enough and still be able to get the sub in there...

oh **** sorry, i didnt see the sealed part in there

my bad :blush:

SwaveY
03-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Sealed we are going with. I have the dimensions wrote down upstairs. Let me get a shower real quick and ill post them, and pictures of what im talkin about

SwaveY
03-07-2006, 12:35 AM
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/25/car19pk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9606/car24oj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7828/car30in.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3301/car48on.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Dont understand?....

43" from the seat to the back
57" from side to side (in the back)
36" from side to side (behind the seat)
19" from the fender back

Trunk is 19" high measuring from the top metal to the board
Trunk is 8" high from the board up to the top of the back (trunk latch)

16" diag opening... from the top of the trunk (the 19"), to the back of the trunk (the 8")

Wheelwell is 29"x 28" and is 9" deep

Spair tire can deff come out... it wont do me good if i get a flat anyways. I dont know the rule of a sealed box... it wouldnt have to be a square would it? Im asking because i could use that wheel well, lay a board at the bottom and 4 square walls around it...then add to that. (unless it has to be a square). Ive never had as difficult of a build as this. Ive built a sealed box for 2 10w3v2's that went behind my seat in a single cab 97 s10 (wedge type shape...very nice). I built a wedge for 2 mtx 7000 12's which my friend now has (it was sealed too). And i built a ported box for a 15"w0 that boomed real loud in my talon. This is a step up i guess. I want a sealed box just so i can keep my trunk.

Wouldnt building a box in my trunk get messy? It doesnt sound hard...but neither did putting coilovers in until it took me from 7 until 5:30 AM to get them all in correct and to an even height that i was pleased with.

If there's a will theres a way

SwaveY
03-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Pictures got a little fuzzy when i uploaded them. Hope you can still read it. They arent exact (the 12" is hard to measure because it isnt straight its more of a "C" shape). So dont go exact. Also i forgot i would have to put in the rails that come down when i shut my trunk. The box would have to sit lower than that so the lid would still shut without hitting anything. Hmm

KngOfThePkngLot
03-07-2006, 12:37 AM
ive got a box that would almost work perfect for you...except it is 20"H

SwaveY
03-07-2006, 01:13 AM
ive got a box that would almost work perfect for you...except it is 20"H

And i dont want to buy one. Actually...i cant buy one because i have NO money at all. I do however have a nail gun, lots of wood glue, and 2 4'x8' sheets of 3/4 MDF. And a lot of spare time!

KngOfThePkngLot
03-07-2006, 01:14 AM
And i dont want to buy one. Actually...i cant buy one because i have NO money at all. I do however have a nail gun, lots of wood glue, and 2 4'x8' sheets of 3/4 MDF. And a lot of spare time!
i wouldnt have charged you anything but shipping;)..but either way it wont fit.

SwaveY
03-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Lol... shipping from NY to PA wouldnt be that bad... except even if it cost $20 i still couldnt afford it.

KngOfThePkngLot
03-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Lol... shipping from NY to PA wouldnt be that bad... except even if it cost $20 i still couldnt afford it.
:laugh:

SwaveY
03-07-2006, 01:26 AM
cmon hook me up! lol ... im goin to bed now. Wont be on till late tomorrow since its my girls bday. Thanks for any kind of help

SwaveY
03-07-2006, 08:01 AM
bump

SwaveY
03-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Nobody? it cant be that hard...

InhumanAcura
03-07-2006, 08:27 PM
it cant be that hard...

lol, then do it yourself...i dont think youre getting that thing in there.

bimma85
03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
l*w*h/1728=feet^3

Do your own calculations. Build a box out of cardboard or styrofoam...if it fits then start building, if it doesnt...crunch some more numbers.

SwaveY
03-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah i dont know where to start is all. Like how much i should have minimum. and thanks matt, if i could do it myself i probly wouldnt have asked would i?

SwaveY
03-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Nobody wants to give advice now that i have measurements...

CBFryman2
03-08-2006, 07:55 PM
fiberglass mold of the entire trunk wit hthe baffle on top sub facing up. Thing is that is going to cost alot more than $20..a lot

SwaveY
03-08-2006, 11:10 PM
fiberglass mold of the entire trunk wit hthe baffle on top sub facing up. Thing is that is going to cost alot more than $20..a lot
I have 2 sheets of 3/4 MDF already. (two 4' x 8' sheets). I wish i could fiberglass... but i have no idea how to even start that junk. What if i basically used my entire trunk as the box? I mean like... put a baffle facing my back seat, moved back enough that the sub wouldnt flex and hit the back seat though. When i didnt have a backseat rider i could pull down my seat. Of course, i dont have the money to use all that trunk sealer stuff. **** is expensive.

I was thinking i could just cut a square to fit into where my spair is. Build up from there.... But i thought it would be really hard to glue the wood and everything since i would be building it inside of my trunk. A sealed box can be any shape right?I dont want to waste money by building a box then having it sound like ****.

PatFitz9
03-09-2006, 12:23 AM
just do some volume calculations and see what you come up with. RE says 4.2 cu. ft. for a sealed 18xxx. if you can fit that in there, then go for it. most likely you will have a problem getting the box inside the trunk. do your seats fold down? you can put it in that way too.

SwaveY
03-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Yeah my seats fold down... i dont know if i could get it through the doors though. I just need a calculation thats the 4.2 and ill make it out of cardboard. I need LxWxH dimensions to make it is all.... if it fits then ill build it. If i can go bigger i will.

Chevyaudio
03-09-2006, 12:39 AM
what do you mean you need a calculation....just play with dimensions then multiply them together and then divide by 1728...voila there ya go

SwaveY
03-09-2006, 01:26 AM
wait what? l x w x h divided by 1728? whats that supose to come out to? 4.2? I realize im asking a lot for someone else to do my calculations. I just want to do it right.

Chevyaudio
03-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Ok ill do it....what are your max dimensions.

Mr. Opportunist
03-09-2006, 01:36 AM
10" H x 57" w x 19" D (external dimensions)~ 4.8 cubes net should help bring out low notes

SwaveY
03-09-2006, 01:46 AM
57" gonna fit in my trunk? Ill get some cardboad goin tomorrow and try those dimensions out. Thanks. Chevy, my dimensions are on the 1st or seconds page in a later post.

PatFitz9
03-09-2006, 01:55 AM
(l * w * h)/1728 = 4.2 it's just filling in the blanks. you can put whatever you want in there. take your max size for whatever way you can fit the box in there (length and height) and then get your depth. check to see if it fits. lather, rinse, repeat.

Chevyaudio
03-09-2006, 02:08 AM
This box would either be a build in job, or if you could fit it through your door, slide it into position.

4.8 cubes before sub displacement

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/5074/sealed187qz.jpg

Mr. Opportunist
03-09-2006, 02:16 AM
that box would be choking off the trunk the way mine is wouldnt going by his max dimensions i built it to his max length and depth.

Chevyaudio
03-09-2006, 02:17 AM
naw....its only 10 inches tall, there is plenty of room for air flow.

Mr. Opportunist
03-09-2006, 02:19 AM
naw....its only 10 inches tall, there is plenty of room for air flow.
no there isnt, there is no room around the sides of the box, with mine it takes up the entire back of the trunk w/ an entire open area for air above and infront of it..

Chevyaudio
03-09-2006, 02:21 AM
The sub will be firing up in my box. I know thats not the best way to fire a sub, but I thought I would give him another alternative

Mr. Opportunist
03-09-2006, 02:23 AM
sub is firing up in mine also ;) our boxes are basically identical only yours goes in the 36" space and mine goes in the 57" area same height and all... lol

Chevyaudio
03-09-2006, 02:24 AM
oh ok I see...well Im bored, and I just drew up another box to give the man 2 choices.

PatFitz9
03-09-2006, 11:00 AM
psst... the 18xxx is just about 10 inches tall. it might not fit in there.

SwaveY
03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
psst... the 18xxx is just about 10 inches tall. it might not fit in there.

Actually its 12" tall. I tried to design a box that pretty much sits in the middle of my trunk.. 13" tall. Seems everytime i tried to do what you did i got 6.2 instead of 4.2. When i did the dimensions in that calculation you said i got 7.4. But i know it isnt 7.4 cubes. Mmm...

SwaveY
03-09-2006, 07:55 PM
10" H x 57" w x 19" D (external dimensions)~ 4.8 cubes net should help bring out low notes

I get 6.26 ? According to this-

what do you mean you need a calculation....just play with dimensions then multiply them together and then divide by 1728...voila there ya go

But since i get 7.4 for what im trying to do... i guess it will be over 4.8?

SwaveY
03-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Okay, for the 10 x 57 x 19 i came out with 6.267361 when i multiplied then all and divided by 1728.

For the box i know will fit...well, it seems as if it will.... its 37 x 22 x 14... multiply that and divide by 1728 and i get 6.5949074 ... which is of course the outside measurements and its 3/4" wood so give or take a little. This box would fit... from what i can see... and i would have the sub mounted in the top. Would it matter if i had it right in the middle of the box or off to a side? Also, with those dimensions whats the real volume? that equation im guessing is a typo or im retarded?

Chevyaudio
03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
You have to account for the thickness of the wood....

57X19X10= ~6.2 cubes.....but those are external dimentions, when you factor in the 3/4" MDF you get roughly 4.8 cubes.

PatFitz9
03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
using ^^ you get 5.26 cu. ft. of internal space (i just took 1.5" off of each measurement for the wood). minus .2 for the driver, and then whatever bracing you have, call it 4.8-4.9 cubes.

you can still afford to shrink some of those numbers down to get the 4.2, and have an easier time getting it into your trunk. but like we've been saying, just play around with the dimentions and see what you can get for a 4.2 net volume.

SwaveY
03-09-2006, 08:52 PM
using ^^ you get 5.26 cu. ft. of internal space (i just took 1.5" off of each measurement for the wood). minus .2 for the driver, and then whatever bracing you have, call it 4.8-4.9 cubes.

you can still afford to shrink some of those numbers down to get the 4.2, and have an easier time getting it into your trunk. but like we've been saying, just play around with the dimentions and see what you can get for a 4.2 net volume.

i have 1.48 driver displacement according to that calculator. So would the plans i said work? 37" length x 22" width x 14" deep? If so i will be constructing it out of cardboard tomorrow, and making sure i can fit it. ( i basically used the max measurements i could fit through the hole behind my seats. This way, if it wont go in through the trunk, it will fit from the doors. I might end up tearing out a passanger seat to make it slide by... but it would be easier then building the box in my trunk. Im sure i could seal it a whole hell of a lot better too.

SwaveY
03-09-2006, 10:40 PM
i have 1.48 driver displacement according to that calculator. So would the plans i said work? 37" length x 22" width x 14" deep? If so i will be constructing it out of cardboard tomorrow, and making sure i can fit it. ( i basically used the max measurements i could fit through the hole behind my seats. This way, if it wont go in through the trunk, it will fit from the doors. I might end up tearing out a passanger seat to make it slide by... but it would be easier then building the box in my trunk. Im sure i could seal it a whole hell of a lot better too.

eh?

PatFitz9
03-10-2006, 02:09 AM
i am not sure what calculator you are talking about, but the driver displacement is about .2 cubic feet. and i said that you can shrink some of the numbers down to get 4.2 cubes. (thats what RE recommends). so shrink some numbers down to get that and see if it fits. jeez, this is like 8th grade. L*W*H=4.2 if you find numbers that work, they are the inside dimentions. add 1.5" to each side for the 3/4 MDF and blamo you get your box size. i am not bored enough to do the math for you, but really it isn't that hard.

Chevyaudio
03-10-2006, 02:10 AM
www.bcae1.com

Directed to the original poster

go to the bottom of the menu on the right and look at basic enclosure calcuator...it wouldnt hurt to read over the rest of the site either.

SwaveY
03-10-2006, 05:31 PM
www.bcae1.com

Directed to the original poster

go to the bottom of the menu on the right and look at basic enclosure calcuator...it wouldnt hurt to read over the rest of the site either.

Okay... i got 14 x 19 x 35 now. Which is 4.241 cubes. I kept the 14" even though it will be a very tight squeeze...but the sub has to go somewhere...so i will mount it facing up. The sub is like 12" deep so i need a little clearance.

Will the 3/4 hold up for the face? Or should i make it 2 layers? I figuired id put the face on last so i could stick it in my trunk and see how much room i had to play with. Gonna be very heavy thats for sure...

mazdakid
03-10-2006, 05:55 PM
i can pick up my 9 cubic foot box and im like 140lbs, boxes arent that heavy

PatFitz9
03-10-2006, 06:56 PM
i would recommend putting some bracing in there too. i am going to put big +'s on each side of my 18xxx. but you have to take that volume into accout too for your net volume. and i am using the double baffle (two pieces of MDF on the front)

SwaveY
03-11-2006, 12:12 AM
i would recommend putting some bracing in there too. i am going to put big +'s on each side of my 18xxx. but you have to take that volume into accout too for your net volume. and i am using the double baffle (two pieces of MDF on the front)

Well, its all glued, screwed, everything is together except the sides. I havent cut them yet, but i put tons of wood glue on all the pieces. Ill take some pictures tomorrow. I made it 35 x 19 x 14 . I made it out of cardboard first and if i put my seat down, it will slide in through the trunk then into the car part...then i can pull it back into the trunk, and turn it completely sideways. Works great. I also ran a nice bead of caulking around the inside corners. I double stacked the face (the top) and glued the two pieces together, and ran like 4 screws into it. All thats left is to cut the sides and put them on. Took a whole 4' by 8' sheet of MDF. That means i have a whole sheet left :) .

FrEnChYII
03-11-2006, 03:22 AM
****, too bad I didn't get here earlier... you said you don't know where to begin with fiberglassing.... man... neither did I, but a couple people on another forum referred me to here (http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=139991) and I read it about 10 times... and I started working with f-glass and man... talk about being rather easy... just have to take ur time and make everything look sweet. :yumyum:

Also, if you stick with the box you made.... use a LOT of screws.... I was told about a screw every 2 - 3 inches as a good rule.

SwaveY
03-11-2006, 01:28 PM
****, too bad I didn't get here earlier... you said you don't know where to begin with fiberglassing.... man... neither did I, but a couple people on another forum referred me to here (http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=139991) and I read it about 10 times... and I started working with f-glass and man... talk about being rather easy... just have to take ur time and make everything look sweet. :yumyum:

Also, if you stick with the box you made.... use a LOT of screws.... I was told about a screw every 2 - 3 inches as a good rule.

Really? Cause i was told the opposite.
EDIT: im talkin bout the screws...not F glass.

FrEnChYII
03-11-2006, 02:25 PM
It may just be the person I was talking to, cause everyone is different.

When I built my boxes outta MDF for my F-150 I use to have I used a LOT of wood glue, and silicone to seal the edges, but I was still having air leaks. I went to my local audio store place, and the guys said I used WAY to little screws. I had screws about every 4 - 5 inches apart... He said that air was leaking out through the gap I had.

SwaveY
03-11-2006, 07:44 PM
It may just be the person I was talking to, cause everyone is different.

When I built my boxes outta MDF for my F-150 I use to have I used a LOT of wood glue, and silicone to seal the edges, but I was still having air leaks. I went to my local audio store place, and the guys said I used WAY to little screws. I had screws about every 4 - 5 inches apart... He said that air was leaking out through the gap I had.

you must **** with silicone:yumyum:

SwaveY
03-11-2006, 08:17 PM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2928/box16ke.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5725/box24oa.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9338/box38mr.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3115/box48yu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8047/box58kj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Watcha guys think?

SwaveY
03-12-2006, 01:42 AM
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/434/sub19mk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9130/sub20fp.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

FrEnChYII
03-12-2006, 01:46 AM
It's large.... and square! I like it! Fits like a worn glove.