PDA

View Full Version : kicker comp for home audio?

sqsetup
03-05-2006, 09:49 PM
any of you guys tried it/heard about it? i have a couple old school ones from back in 00-01 (dont remember), and was wondering how well they would work for a temporary home audio sub.

thanks in advance for any replies. :D

brandontw
03-07-2006, 01:38 AM
technically, a sub is a sub..give it a shot, if you have em laying around, what do you have to lose?

Ctminime
03-07-2006, 01:40 AM
if u wanna build a nice box and try it out for shits and giggles go ahead.... but usually SQ subs are desired for home audio and i dont think a a CVR is gonna quite provide all the sq one may be looking for in a home audio setup.... but... do it cuz i am curious now...

Prowler573
03-07-2006, 01:42 AM
technically, a sub is a sub..give it a shot, if you have em laying around, what do you have to lose?

Hard to argue this logic....

When I retired my pair of eXcelon SVC 4 Ohm 10s they sat for the longest time collecting dust. I got an idea one day and wired 'em in series to an 8 Ohm load and connected them to my HT receiver's subwoofer amp channel (my receiver has both a preamp out for a powered sub and a dedicated amp channel for a passive one) and shoved the sealed box they're in between the end of the couch and the bottom of a bookshelf.

A) They freggin slammed considering each sub only sees 50w give or take.
B) The bottom shelf of that bookeshelf is unused.

Result: The car subs stayed right where they were :thumbsup:

joetama
03-07-2006, 01:49 AM
if u wanna build a nice box and try it out for shits and giggles go ahead.... but usually SQ subs are desired for home audio and i dont think a a CVR is gonna quite provide all the sq one may be looking for in a home audio setup.... but... do it cuz i am curious now...

I agree that most of the Home Audio subs are designed to be more SQ than SL. But, most people on here don't buy the high end subs that are SQ they just want SL or SQL, so it would work but it'll sound like a kicker and if that's what you want nock yourself out....

sqsetup
03-07-2006, 10:49 PM
i figured since a lot of the sound has to do with the install i could mellow out the sub... well, its 4 ohm and i will most likely get another 4 ohm sub for home audio in the future, so all i would be out would be half a sheet of three quarter mdf...

thanks for the input... i already have towers with 8" woofers that play fairly low, so this will be Xover'd fairly low.

Ignatowski
03-08-2006, 07:54 AM
I was looking at the Comp for HT,
since I only have 100w@8ohm it seems to fit the bill pretty close in the ported version......
They are cheap and plentyfull on Egay.

How do they sound?I was looking at Kickers manual's specs for the
C10 on page #9, 1.25CF ported box

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2005/2005%20Comp%20Sub%20Manual.pdf

what ya think?

sqsetup
03-17-2006, 05:04 PM
I was looking at the Comp for HT,
since I only have 100w@8ohm it seems to fit the bill pretty close in the ported version......
They are cheap and plentyfull on Egay.

How do they sound?I was looking at Kickers manual's specs for the
C10 on page #9, 1.25CF ported box

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2005/2005%20Comp%20Sub%20Manual.pdf

what ya think?

they dont sound great by any means, but they dont sound like ***** either

they certainly arnt an spl sub either. it would work if you got the box right.

Ignatowski
03-18-2006, 07:49 AM
I bought an eD 9kv.2 for HT,hooking it up this weekend as soon as my box is done