PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Of Choosing A Head Unit.....

MBrock4u
03-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Hey everbody! I see alot of threads about choosing a head unit. I learned on this forum a head unit is the second most important piece of your entire system. Speakers being no. 1 With that in mind, alot of thought and research went into my decision. First of all money, unfortunantly, but lets be real. Next alot of of Q&A. This forum was a great help. I live in the St. Louis area, so I have access to alot of different stereo shops. So with all the info I was able to gather, it was time to get out there and listen to alot of different units ( lucky me ). My goal was sound quality period! Got it narrowed down to the big 4. Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood, Pioneer. I was at this coustom stereo shop and a installer had so time to spend with me and let me listen to all 4 with all levels a 0 on head units. I heard them with a set a focal speakers amp and not amped, Then he let me hear them with a set of alpines, amped and not amped, What can I say but sweet! I love alpine and to me it is the sexiest head units out there. But sq was the goal here. Of the 4 Eclipse sounded just a tad better then any other, but the Kenwood Excelon had everything I wanted , just not the bells and whistles X-589. Had to go higher and alot more money out of the other 3 to get what this one had. The Excelon has amazing sq and high volt pre outs. Bottom line is I didn't want to spend xtra 100.00 or more for bells and whistles. BTW all the head units sounded good but I ended up with the Excelon KDC-X589. Head unit is awesome for the price, I could not go wrong. The featues this unit has are great. Bottom line do you homework, the leg work and use this forum . Try not to get in a big hurry lol. I am very happy with this unit, and BTW you Eclipse lovers, I was SOO close to getting one but money became the final factor there. They are awsome head units. Thanks all! My 2 cents worth. :)

Ignatowski
03-05-2006, 07:12 AM
the 589 is an excellent choice

MBrock4u
03-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Thank You :)

FoxPro5
03-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Nice pick up. You should be an inspiration to all those in your situation as you took your time, did it right, and got what you wanted....most just start a "vs" thread, eventhough a freakin gazillion have been posted in the past couple months alone!!!

MBrock4u
03-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah thanks! It was a process. The hardest thing about it was being patient. I was fortunant enough to be able to talk to installers as well as the sales people. To me it is vital to find people who really know what they are talking about. This forum has been a big part of it all. People who have real experience in the equipment you are looking for. But I still had to listen with my own ears. :)

Prowler573
03-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Yeah thanks! It was a process. The hardest thing about it was being patient. I was fortunant enough to be able to talk to installers as well as the sales people. To me it is vital to find people who really know what they are talking about. This forum has been a big part of it all. People who have real experience in the equipment you are looking for.

But I still had to listen with my own ears. :)

Of all possible teachers for this particular subjet matter that one is both the least forgiving and the most accurate. If your ears tell you they're unhappy with something then likely it is a good idea to heed their opinion ;)