PDA

View Full Version : Why do Eclipse HU's cost less than Alpines?........

NE14MX
03-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Just looking through ebay and I see you can get a new in box Eclipse 8445 for $300 shipped. But look at some older used Alpines like the 9835 and other top units like the 04 phantom faces and they are going for at least $350. At first i thought it was just the name so I started looking around other sites which are not car audio specific, like the acura rsx, mazda3, scion, etc. sites and generally the Eclipses reliability and QC keeps coming into question.

The general feeling I get here is that Eclipse has some of the best reliability and QC in the business, which means more to me than coming from a non-audio specific site. however, on these other sites I continually see Eclipse's QC coming into question, from dealers to individuals time and time again.

opiniions?

FoxPro5
03-04-2006, 11:33 PM
I've owned 4 Eclipse decks and have never had an issue with any of them. I owned one Alpine deck and it was suspect (made some god awlful noice when I put a CD in) from day one. You wanted an opinion, there's mine. Guess which one I'd recommend? ;)

NE14MX
03-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Gotcha, and for the record, I've seen that view on here a lot. SO, why do teh Alpines sell for more in the secondary market?

3.5Max6spd
03-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Alpine lovers somehow feel the 9835/7998 are better than whats currently out and being they are discontinued models their demand inclines a decent amount as they become harder to find.

Weird-To me anything post 7949 era, all sound the same and I've owned the 7949/7998 and last 2 generation Eclipses 8 series. I personally feel the 8445 is a better cd player sonically.

iceteebone
03-04-2006, 11:35 PM
my 8443 is 3 years old and still going good. never heard anything mentioned about there reliability. also what the hell is QC?

alphakenny1
03-04-2006, 11:37 PM
uhh can't really tell you why. 9835 has been claimed that its the last quality HU alpine made (although its a 2004). lots of alpine fans aren't fans of the glide touch. because of that the 9835 market value has gone up significantly.

FoxPro5
03-04-2006, 11:38 PM
SO, why do teh Alpines sell for more in the secondary market?

Which company spends more $$$ on marketing? :)

zachzchw
03-05-2006, 12:27 AM
QC= Quality Control

X2 on the marketing thing.

Think back to before you became seriously interested in audio....you had probably heard of Alpine, what about Eclipse?

95Eclipse
03-05-2006, 12:40 AM
alpine = over rated, and over priced
eclipse = quality product @ quality price...

end of story :)

NE14MX
03-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Ok, I was just posing this question for $h!ts and giggles. I had already made up my mind to get an eclipse. I thought the answer came down to alpine's name and as some of you pointed out, marketing. I do think Alpines look better. You have to give them credit for going with the same basic look throughout the years. There have been variations off of their distinctive look but it has always been built around the same theme year after year. You can't say that for eclipse after their line for last year, or many other brands for that matter. IMO, Alpines have a **** look. However, I'm buying an Eclipse 8445. $300 shipped for a brand new unit is pretty awesome and represents one of the best buys around in car audio at this time IYAM.

Black_Jesus
03-05-2006, 02:46 AM
my 9835 never leaves my side =)

spudracer326
03-05-2006, 02:51 AM
I love my 9855:)

Fosgate Forever
03-05-2006, 02:59 AM
my 7998 kicks ***

Greenscreen
03-05-2006, 03:12 AM
9835/56 love em both:)

Prowler573
03-05-2006, 03:47 AM
my 9835 never leaves my side =)

This must make it awful uncomfortable to drive as well as be a major PITA having to uninstall / reinstall it all the time!

Slaugh
03-05-2006, 07:35 AM
love my 9815 aswell, but willing to experience with eclipse cd8454 and alpines 7998 and 7878

faulkton
03-05-2006, 09:18 AM
The first deck i owned was eclipse 5303 in like 96-97. Was a great dead head 5 volt, flip face until it was stolen. Incidentally i saw one for sale just last week. I'm sure it wasn't mine, but the fcking thing was still going. IIRC they wanted $199 for it at a car audio place.
I had some alpine flip face that got caught on the trim piece and burned its motor out the first time it powered on.

i now have a 8454 i picked up on ebay a while back. Works great. If i could pick up a 8455 for <330 shipped i would do it just to check it out.

Slaugh
03-05-2006, 09:45 AM
The first deck i owned was eclipse 5303 in like 96-97. Was a great dead head 5 volt, flip face until it was stolen. Incidentally i saw one for sale just last week. I'm sure it wasn't mine, but the fcking thing was still going. IIRC they wanted $199 for it at a car audio place.
I had some alpine flip face that got caught on the trim piece and burned its motor out the first time it powered on.

i now have a 8454 i picked up on ebay a while back. Works great. If i could pick up a 8455 for <330 shipped i would do it just to check it out.
heya buddy.. have you ever listened to alpine 7998 or 7878? if you have, how do you compare it's SQ to cd8454 one?

just curious to know, but is the SQ of my 9815 still good compared to the one from eclipse 8454?

hell i dont find anyone with these hus to give it a listen :(

Randy Savage
03-05-2006, 11:08 AM
If you go over to CarSound you can check out the industry section, where a lot of shop owners/workers have talked about the QC/warranty issues they've had with Eclipse.

IMO, you see people talking more about Alpine then Eclipse because Alpine is more commercially available- only places you could have found Eclipse were at shops- although Eclipse is now with CC. Alpine you can find just about everywhere.

Alpine still makes a great radio compared to what's really out there on the mainstream market.

thefunkybunch
03-05-2006, 12:46 PM
eclipse got their bad wrap in the 97-98ish model years. they had some skipping issues, and in people's opinions that seemed to stick with them, even though that problem has long been resolved and they have one of the best cd mechanisms on the market as far as reading through scratched cd's and not skipping. i've owned 4 or 5 eclipse decks, an 5440, 5441, 5442, 8051, 8061, and never had a single issue with any of them. i could literally kick a cd down the street on its face, pop it in, and it would play and not skip once.

i currently own an alpine because i like to keep in my car what we sell at the shop, but i still love eclipse decks. if we carried them, i'd have one over alpine in a heartbeat

Mr. Nipples
03-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Eclipse FTW

iceteebone
03-05-2006, 12:51 PM
eclipse got their bad wrap in the 97-98ish model years. they had some skipping issues, and in people's opinions that seemed to stick with them, even though that problem has long been resolved and they have one of the best cd mechanisms on the market as far as reading through scratched cd's and not skipping. i've owned 4 or 5 eclipse decks, an 5440, 5441, 5442, 8051, 8061, and never had a single issue with any of them. i could literally kick a cd down the street on its face, pop it in, and it would play and not skip once.

i currently own an alpine because i like to keep in my car what we sell at the shop, but i still love eclipse decks. if we carried them, i'd have one over alpine in a heartbeat

x2

never had a problem playing stratched cd's with mine. better then i other deck i owned

Black_Jesus
03-05-2006, 01:15 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D
This must make it awful uncomfortable to drive as well as be a major PITA having to uninstall / reinstall it all the time!

Ctminime
03-05-2006, 01:28 PM
i had an eclipse cd5454 witch was a great deck..... but ill just say that over the 2 eclipse decks i have had i like my 9855 WAY better, not to mention the new eclipses are just hard to look at i mean.... gross, but the alpines make me more excited to look at than pam anderson

dleccord
03-05-2006, 02:00 PM
went from 9830 to 9831.. hopefully i can get my hands on the 9833 or even the 9835 sometime soon:)

Randy Savage
03-05-2006, 02:24 PM

turn on/off thump as well from what I've heard.

iceteebone
03-05-2006, 05:00 PM

i heard that was a problem, especially on the 8443's and i have owned 2 different 8443's and have yet to have that problem

FoxPro5
03-05-2006, 05:13 PM

My 8445 had that, but my 8053 does not...kind of nice not to hear that unnerving thud anymore !!

04silverz
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Ok, I was just posing this question for $h!ts and giggles. I had already made up my mind to get an eclipse. I thought the answer came down to alpine's name and as some of you pointed out, marketing. I do think Alpines look better. You have to give them credit for going with the same basic look throughout the years. There have been variations off of their distinctive look but it has always been built around the same theme year after year. You can't say that for eclipse after their line for last year, or many other brands for that matter. IMO, Alpines have a **** look. However, I'm buying an Eclipse 8445. $300 shipped for a brand new unit is pretty awesome and represents one of the best buys around in car audio at this time IYAM.
hopefully you havent bought that yet. im sure you could get one authorized for only 100 bcuks more at max. if installed you get a 3 yr warranty vs an ebay warranty.

NE14MX
03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
hopefully you havent bought that yet. im sure you could get one authorized for only 100 bcuks more at max. if installed you get a 3 yr warranty vs an ebay warranty.

No I haven't bought anything yet. My local shop doesn't have anything. Hell they barely have any 2006's. The 3 year warranty is a definate plus. My local CC only has the CD3000 and 2000. The other smaller shop only has the CD2000.

I'm sure the ebay ones carry no warranty. Do you think it would come with a warranty if I bought it from ebay and took it to teh dealer to have it installed? I don't feel like paying $550 for the 5K or $700 for the 7K but there are no others around me that I can find. If I can't find anything, I'll just take my chances and buy something online and install it myself.

ToyTundra
03-05-2006, 07:42 PM
i took my chances on ebay, now i have a paperweight. It lasted a year and a half, but it no longer reads CDs, and it'll cost too much to fix it and i can't deactivate ESN. I plan to run it until i have to disconncet my battery (ie it locks). But i'm gointo buy another when i like the styling.

I second authorized.

thefunkybunch
03-05-2006, 08:28 PM

i've never had an issue with that at all, though the amps i've always run have soft turn on circuits so there would be no thump anyways. but of all the eclipse decks i've had, i've never had an issue with thump, that would drive me nuts.

definitely buy it authorized. if by chance something does go wrong with it, you will be glad you did! not to mention if you need support or help setting it up, your local retailer will be much more helpful than some dude on ebay.

and whoever said the 9855 is great is smoking something serious and needs to share! i have a 9855 and have been grossly disappointed in the performance. needless to say it won't be in my car much longer... will probably switch to clarion and get some quality in there. i should have never gotten rid of my 8061, it absolutely smashed the alpine in every category.

NE14MX
03-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Well I can't find one from an authorized dealer. I could wait until the CD5000's show up. But then it would be almost $600 after tax. I could get two 8445's online for about the same price. I had an 8454 and it worked perfectly but I hated how it looked in my dash. I seldom keep HU's for 3 years anyway. Will probably be removed for something else in about 16- 18 months.

headless
03-05-2006, 09:53 PM
LOL. My first deck was a eclipse CD1001 (i think it was), built circa 1991. I had it in my car until last year when the poor bastard finally bit the dust. It had a 12 cd eclipse changer hooked up to it that NEVER freakin skipped from bumps... though it was old so was a bit sensitive to scratches. It was surprising to me it played CD-R's though, being so old. Anyway, it finally bit the dust so i got a CD8051 which worked flawlessly until i shorted the RCA shields against my distribution block (yes. Slick eh?) so i recently replaced it with a CD8454 which is continuing the legacy of badassity. (What's up with replacing the 8454 with an 8445 so soon, NE14?)

Re: the post earlier about sliding cd's around on the street and having them still play, i totally agree...i had a cd on my passenger side floorboard for 3 or 4 months getting rubbed around in the sand...popped it in after washing it off one day and played half the cd before it skipped... :D

One thing i noticed, IMO go for the 8454 instead. The 8445 doesn't have the crossover capabilities of the 8454.

NE14MX
03-06-2006, 08:50 AM
headless, I got a new car and just did not liek the way the 8454 would have looked in it. I just sold everything out of my old CRX, including the 8454 and wanted something that looked more compatible with the amber lighting on the interior. I didn't sell the 8454 for the purpose of getting an 8445. I just sold the 8454 b/c I wanted something else in the new car. I've seen pictures of one in a mazda3 and it looked pretty good. I've yet to fnd the perfect HU. They will all do something a little annoying to me and I will want to change it after a year or so.

Did teh manual arrive yet? I found teh blank registration card to the 8454 yesterday if you want it. Not sure how much good it will be now but let me know if you want it.

jimmyjames1700
03-06-2006, 09:17 AM
No I haven't bought anything yet. My local shop doesn't have anything. Hell they barely have any 2006's. The 3 year warranty is a definate plus. My local CC only has the CD3000 and 2000. The other smaller shop only has the CD2000.

I'm sure the ebay ones carry no warranty. Do you think it would come with a warranty if I bought it from ebay and took it to teh dealer to have it installed? I don't feel like paying $550 for the 5K or $700 for the 7K but there are no others around me that I can find. If I can't find anything, I'll just take my chances and buy something online and install it myself.

There is no more three year warranty as of Feb 28. I think it propably has something to do with agreements between Eclipse and Crutchfield/Circuit City. I would think Circuit City more so, so that they would have the opertunity to sell a pure margin extended warranty w/ the deck.

The 06 Eclipse are hard to come by so far. My shop has only been receiving the CD2000 so far. Of course we have had the AVN7000's for some time but that is a little different.

If you want a sweet deal on an 05 deck, check your local shop for a CD8445. Apparently that is the only 05 deck still in Eclipse's inventory and they are now beginning to blow them out. I think we will be selling the 6 units that we ordered for $350:crazy: Similar to what we did with the 8053 a year or so ago.

headless
03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
headless, I got a new car and just did not liek the way the 8454 would have looked in it. I just sold everything out of my old CRX, including the 8454 and wanted something that looked more compatible with the amber lighting on the interior. I didn't sell the 8454 for the purpose of getting an 8445. I just sold the 8454 b/c I wanted something else in the new car. I've seen pictures of one in a mazda3 and it looked pretty good. I've yet to fnd the perfect HU. They will all do something a little annoying to me and I will want to change it after a year or so.

Did teh manual arrive yet? I found teh blank registration card to the 8454 yesterday if you want it. Not sure how much good it will be now but let me know if you want it.

Rock on man, i could see that. The old eclipse units were so extremely barebones, it's hard to get used to the new 'flashier' look. I'm digging the look of the 8454 though.

Please do send the registration card. The AUX input on the deck is not sending right channel stereo correctly all the time (it goes in an out based on how i hold the wire...bah!) and i want to send it back to get them to fix it. It's finicky about reading my cd's too, so i figure i'll get them to check that out while they're at it.

mikegett
03-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Headless, you may try a premium minijack cable. I hated the minijacks due to there unreliability. After a few months of unplugging, they tend to create noise and loose connections. Monster cable and the ipod minijack cable seem to be pretty reliable in comparison to the walmart brands. If you suspect it is in the HU wire, tape the connection togeather and then bend it. I sent back a ipod twice thinking it was the problem.

ngsm13
03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
I LOVE...LOVE my 9835. I owned one, I sold and bought a screen...then I bought another 9835 b/c I loved it so much.

Only thing I think I'd might get rid of my 9835 for is a new Eclipse CD7000...which I'll be ordering from CC accomodations pretty soon. I'll A/B them and decide which one to keep ;)...

nG

headless
03-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Headless, you may try a premium minijack cable. I hated the minijacks due to there unreliability. After a few months of unplugging, they tend to create noise and loose connections. Monster cable and the ipod minijack cable seem to be pretty reliable in comparison to the walmart brands. If you suspect it is in the HU wire, tape the connection togeather and then bend it. I sent back a ipod twice thinking it was the problem.

Thanks for the info. I'm certain it's the deck though, i've traced the faulty connection to where the wire enters the deck itself. I've got it bent back on top of the deck right now, and as long as it's bent like that it works, but i'd like to get it so the wire isn't poking out above the deck on my dash, yanno? lol. The other problem is the thing is being insanely finicky about cd's, giving error 3 constantly. I've tried maybe 30 cd's, burned and not, and none of them read. Strange since it read cd's fine when i first got it in there (for 2 days or so). I'll try blowing some compressed air in the slot and see if it reads cd's any better, but even if it does, the problem with the aux in is irritating enough to send it back. The alternative is to use the digital aux in, but i'd have to have my Riocar modded for optical out to do that :(

Mynameismcgyver
03-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Got the 9827 and love it. Def going to look for a new HU soon though..Prolly an eclipse..Gotta change it up

NE14MX
03-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Sent you a pm headless

Fosgate Forever
03-07-2006, 10:47 AM

Did teh manual arrive yet? I found teh blank registration card to the 8454 yesterday if you want it. Not sure how much good it will be now but let me know if you want it. if your lookin for amber lightung go with a 7998