PDA

View Full Version : CDT/ID Component Suggestions?

Down
03-04-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm down to these 2 sets, having a hard time picking a set and I need some help:help: . I mainly listen to real heavy metal:peace: , and these sets are whats in my price range. Its a toss up between the HD-63's or the Image Dynamics Chameleons. Theyre gonna get 150w per side, going in heavily deadend doors. I don't know if theres someone thats heard both sets, if so that would be awesome if you could chime in on any experience. If anyone has any other suggestions that are in the same price range, let me know so that I can consider other components before I buy one of these sets!
:2thumbs:
-Down

lubetek
03-04-2006, 01:57 PM
CDT ftw. I didn't even have to think about that one.

RPM
03-04-2006, 02:24 PM
well the cdt's are a three way set so they should be better if u were comparing the 2 way sets thenit might have beena tougher call

Down
03-04-2006, 03:13 PM
The HD-63's aren't a 3-way set, its a 2-way braxial set, the HD-642 is the 3-way......

RPM
03-04-2006, 05:23 PM
^^^ oops my bad then disregard what i said

alteraudiousa
03-05-2006, 11:44 PM
HD-63s will have an awesome sound in the doors. CDT's always do well in stock locations but with the braxial setup the tweets will be nicely setup for good imaging. Have you already got them? Check your PMs

Down
03-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Right back at ya alteraudiousa.......

Let me know if there are anymore suggestions, I just found out I can get Focal KP's for the same price as the HD-63's, are they even comparable? I'm going to throw in the DLS UR6S into the mix, they're looking more appealing to me then all the others for some reason....

-Down

squeak9798
03-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I would go with the ID's or the DLS.

CDT isn't all that impressive.

Down
03-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Your the first to tell me to go with the ID's, every other person has said to stay away from them?? To many reasons to list why on that one. Hmmm, everyone else says to get the CDT's too. This is why it ***** not to demo a set before hand!

-Down

squeak9798
03-06-2006, 12:29 PM
CDT is a boner on this forum (I don't know why, really). So, majority of the answers here are going to be biased into their favor.

Down
03-06-2006, 12:39 PM
True, but other then DLS and ID, what else do you recommend in the same price range? Should I be looking at Rainbow as well? I'm pretty sure theres a line-up of thiers that is comparable to what I'm looking for right?

squeak9798
03-06-2006, 12:50 PM
True, but other then DLS and ID, what else do you recommend in the same price range? Should I be looking at Rainbow as well? I'm pretty sure theres a line-up of thiers that is comparable to what I'm looking for right?

Oh hell, there's tons of options.

Boston Acoustics, OZ Audio, Rainbow as you mentioned, Morel, Seas Lotus, etc.

Down
03-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I didn't know Morel had a comp set thats in the $350-$400 range?? Which one is it, do you know? And I'm looking for a real laid back tweeter, so any Boston is out, I didn't like the Z6 when compared to something that was more laid back, thats just me though. Besides, I think thats outta my price range from an authorized dealer. I didn't know Seas had a set out in that price range either, I guess I was asking which model of comps, cause I can't find a place online that will show me what costs what so I can compare.............

audiolife
03-06-2006, 01:13 PM
beyma, db drive platinum

squeak9798
03-06-2006, 01:16 PM
You never stated a specific range until now...but these ae very close to your budget: http://www.mobilesq.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=30

lubetek
03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
there is nothing wrong with CDT. They make a fine speaker.

Down
03-08-2006, 02:58 AM
I was thinking of the K2P's, but I think they may be a little on the bright side, and I'm thinking the DLS or the CDT, or just maybe the ID's might be just what I'm looking for as far as laid back goes. There just hasn't been one person thats heard them all or at least some to let me know what they think...... :(

-Down

Mr. Opportunist
03-08-2006, 02:59 AM
just buy my id horns and xovers then get a mid of your choice :cool:, i would go w/ id i loved mine...

Down
03-08-2006, 03:27 AM
I'd love to, to be honest, but I don't know the first thing about them, or installing them, and theres no one around me that even knows the words "Image Dynamics" :)

ighettoboyi
03-08-2006, 03:43 AM
wasnt there some issue with debris collecting on the IDs? i vaguely remember reading about this somewhere...

JAZN
03-08-2006, 04:16 AM
wasnt there some issue with debris collecting on the IDs? i vaguely remember reading about this somewhere...
It's the same issue that goes with any speaker without a dustcap, since the car environment is a rather nasty one. However yes, my first set of ID mids got debris in down around the VC. Conversely, the second set I got worked perfectly fine.

maxse
03-10-2006, 08:31 PM
y not the rainbow slc 265? I imagine they would be better than the CDTs ur considering.

6spdcoupe
03-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Rainbow Germs, although a bit above your budget.

Down
03-10-2006, 09:18 PM
How much more above? I don't mind spending the extra money, its the decision on where my money is going thats the problem. As you can see, everyone has thier opinion, in some ways it ***** and in others, it helps. As far as Rainbows go, can anyone tell me where I can go online and see some prices, or if there are any dealers here, pm me and tell me whats workable in my situation.......

-Down

digital mint
03-11-2006, 04:09 AM
I had both. Properly installed and with at least 175 watts, the ID's are a better choice for me. The midbass are so much stronger. With my setup (XXX15),the IDs are able to catch those 55-70 hz notes that my XXX lacks of. With less than 150 watts then i would go with the CDTs. My point about power is that with not enough power you won't get the full potential of the IDs.

The IDs are pretty big mids, just make sure they will fit both in diameter and depth. Even tho they're advertized as 6.5, they're actually closer to 7"

On the other hand, the CDTs are more upgradable (Crossover, tweets).

I'm gonna side with squeak on that one. I think CDTs are overrated and overpriced. They are better/cheaper options. Can't say it enough tho install is everything. Took me 3 times before i got it right.

SATX210
04-05-2006, 03:51 AM
i am in san antonio and have experience with the ID's and the CDT

req
04-05-2006, 04:15 AM
scoop these;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Image-Dynamics-CD-1E-V-2_W0QQitemZ9707896711QQcategoryZ3292QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

and these;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Image-Dynamics-CS1-X-crossovers_W0QQitemZ9707432935QQcategoryZ79840QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

and see if you can find the matching mids (i cant find them atm)

6spdcoupe
04-05-2006, 12:53 PM
How much more above? I don't mind spending the extra money, its the decision on where my money is going thats the problem. As you can see, everyone has thier opinion, in some ways it ***** and in others, it helps. As far as Rainbows go, can anyone tell me where I can go online and see some prices, or if there are any dealers here, pm me and tell me whats workable in my situation.......

-Down

the price would be $450

you can get alot more info at:

www.rainbow-audio.de

no prices there though.

Down
04-05-2006, 01:09 PM
SATX, pm'd you...

I can honestly say I can't do horns, I'd love to cause I'm pretty sure it be awesome, but I'd rather stick to some comps for now, I was actually going to buy a new set of 2ohm ID's in a couple weeks, but now bringing this thread up again got me thinking. My choices are Rainbow and ID for now, just don't know what Rainbows are a step above the chameleons?

-Down

zfactor
04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
the id's are great speakers... they do need to be installed properly in a well deadened door. and given a good amount of power not enough and they will sound just bad,,,, cdt makes good stuff.... if you are looking at the hd and up set. you can aim djdilliodon and he can get you the hook up with cdt for very good prices.... rainbow makes awsome drivers as well... just need to step up to thier sorta higher priced stuff to get any better than the id's or a good set of cdt's..i am a former id dealer... i used them for along time and i run the e-07 cdt's right now... in this case the 07's blow it id's away... but you can get better results than either of these in a good diy set also.. the dayton's for example... for just over 100$ these sound like comparable 4-500$ sets.. again if installed right.. i have used them as well and i think they sound maybe even better or close to the 07's... when done actively... many great choices out there... I WOULD NOT BUY speakers without hearing them though.. bug mistake a lot of people make and they are dissapointed afterwards..see if anyone from here or eca lives somewhere around that maybe you can listen to thier setup... this would help you greatly!!!!!

M3NTAL
04-06-2006, 12:33 AM
I have the CXS64's and the CDT-ES620's

I like the ID's better in my application. (Sealed kickpanels with ~200wrms a side)

mid-bass being my main resoning, the tweet was very transparent, but still had lots of impact.

spudracer326
04-06-2006, 12:41 AM
rainbow germaniums ftw