PDA

View Full Version : Call it good or go for broke

PyroBob
03-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Despite having signed up for the forums about two years ago, I think this is my first post...thats gotta be some kinda record...

So...I found out I'm getting a fair tax return (although to late to pick up the SH-1 that was in the classifieds).

The stock deck in my 03 S10 died already (at 36800, of course), so I swapped in an Alpine 9853 from my truck I traded in. The rest of the gear includes:

CDT ES-620
CDT EF-61
CDT M519XT
MB Quart RAA2400

The question I'm pondering is to just stick what I have back in, or will it be worth my time and energy to go all out and consider entering my truck in SQ competitions. I spoke with the McCintosh reps today, as they were demoing new house eq at a local install shop, and there is no local provider, so I know getting gear from them would help me stand out in a crowd.

Would a better set of front components (no rears) and a deck + amp such as the McCintosh give me a shot, or would I be just paying money to move to the left, instead of forward?

Sorry it's longwinded, I'm just trying to give all the detail I can, to get the best opinions.

[edit: It's NOT my first post...and where did I find that freaky a$$ clown?]

alphakenny1
03-03-2006, 10:26 PM
its all up to what you want to do. the general conscensus seems that people just like to run a frontstage with no rears. me personally i rather go with high quality speakers than high quality amps. all you need is a solid amp that will do the job. so maybe think of upgrading the speakers first and then find a good solid amp to power it. and to get the best out of the speakers, tune away with whatever processor you choose.

PyroBob
03-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Much appreciated.

I was thinking of selling off the speakers and just getting one of the new 07.4USX Gold sets, and add a Centerstage, as well. The MB Quart amp I have will do 2x400 @ 4 ohm, and I could use it to power them until I'm ready to switch to a better amp (if I need to). The front end defeat is nice too, because personally I dislike it's built in crossover.

My question was mainly whether or not the McIntosh deck would be superior to the Alpine CDA-9853, or if it's really splitting hairs.

Sorry, after rereading my own post, it didn't really ask an accurate question.

alphakenny1
03-03-2006, 10:41 PM
i've never had a mcintosh HU but from i've read they are herald for their SQ. over at ECA they had an high end H/U showdown which included a mcintosh HU. maybe it'll be a good read for you, http://www.elitecaraudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121657

but i'm not sure if the mcintosh has DSP but if they don't you should look into buying one.

PyroBob
03-04-2006, 02:51 AM
I appreciate the link, that was useful...although it's a shame they couldn't test it with the Pioneer, or an F1. I'm going in tommorrow to talk with the McIntosh people again, to get some more detailed information. I'll keep you guys informed.

alphakenny1
03-04-2006, 04:07 AM
just purchase and give us a review ;)

troy_audi0
03-04-2006, 05:46 AM
The McIntosh HU are **** sick if you ask me..
Iv only heard 2 1 was in a Ford GT (MX406)
Very sweet I wish I could have played a CD that I know insted of the 80's rock the guy had..
Asfor how I go about a system I tend to get the killer coms & slowly add the rest
r Get killer comps & find some nice old school amps (PPi ART/Zapco Z or Studio)
I think they have a US Amps Group Buy going on -On one of the audio forums..

But if you can get the hook from McIntosh that would be the catsass (perfect ish)
Is The SQ SPL Cap still 135dB?
Iv heard the McIntosh amps are on the Smooth/Less powerful side for sound
But you would need to lison for your self..

Iv never used a Alpine HU Iv Run Eclipse since 97'
Iv just moved to the Addzzest But I was told it has the same twin 20bit prossesors the McI. has (Texas Insterments like Burr Brown) Please let me know if im wrong
Cant go wrong with Highend Plus It is very classy not somuch flash like all the other crap they have out now days (Thats why I went old school)

Keep us posted..
Peace T_A