PDA

View Full Version : kicker ks65.2 help!

honda250x
03-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi, i recently just installed a set of kicker components in my dodge dakota, my problem is that only the passenger side works but the tweeters do not. Ok first off i have a premier deh-p860mp pioneer cd player, my amp is a mtx 564. first off yes everything is brand new! right out of the box, and im pretty sure i have hooked everything up right, this is not new to me but it is the first time i have tried to hook up component speakers. Ok i first turned my headunit on with the amp on the high pass filter and i heard a slight pop on my passenger side speakers. then i turned up the gains a bit and started hearing the music from the mid's. and still this is only on the passenger side. so then i decided that maybe the amp has something wrong so i disconnected each speaker output and changed them to the opposite side to see if the driver side would work on the passengers side place on the amp and yet this made no prevail. I got a closer look at one of the crossovers and i see that it makes a weird static sound i'm wondering if this is normal or if my crossovers are blown. I had 12 gauge stinger audio wire running into the crossovers with the standard 18 gauge wire that kicker gives you to the speakers and tweeters. so im not sure what i did wrong, i'm 99.9 percent positive that all the wires are hooked up right.

Polecat
03-03-2006, 06:58 PM
have a dealer look at it........

Alexwaves
03-03-2006, 07:17 PM
i had the same prob and it turned out i am a dumb *** and i connected the wires from the amp to the tweeter out puts on the x over,,, the mid was connected to the right spot and the tweeter was connected to the input on the x over

so make sure everthing is connected right

honda250x
03-04-2006, 02:09 AM
the only thing is that i got a closer look and i started smelling something funny and it turns out that the crossover smells like its been fried is this a sign that the crossovers could be blown? what would cause the crossovers to smell like something electrical you know the smell is burning?

m48xhp
03-04-2006, 09:48 AM
maybe its cause you went from 12 to 18 guage. i think most cars have 18 from the factory so it matches up, but i would think if you gave it 12 guage from the amp it would draw more electricity. then distribute it to only 18 guage, some of the electricity is not going to go anywhere or just go really slow. that could have blown the xover.

i am no expert, its just a thought since you said it could be blown. id like to see you figure this out cause im getting a set of these comonents.

Polecat
03-04-2006, 02:53 PM
if soemthing fried while hooking up the crossover, yes, that's why your mid and tweet don't work...

honda250x
03-04-2006, 05:37 PM
thanks guys you are excatly right about the 12 to 18 gauge, i should not of did this.... the good news is that i only fried 1 speaker and 1 crossover. I put 18 gauge from the amp to the crossover and all 3 of the speakers and tweets started working flawlessly. just the other didnt manage so well. do any of you know if you can get replacement ks65.2 speakers?
Thanks,
Lance

m48xhp
03-04-2006, 05:43 PM
thanks guys you are excatly right about the 12 to 18 gauge, i should not of did this.... the good news is that i only fried 1 speaker and 1 crossover. I put 18 gauge from the amp to the crossover and all 3 of the speakers and tweets started working flawlessly. just the other didnt manage so well. do any of you know if you can get replacement ks65.2 speakers?
Thanks,
Lance
wow, i was right????? well im glad i could help. polecat can probably help you ind speakers.

Polecat
03-06-2006, 05:02 PM
if you bought them from an authorized dealer, you get a warranty replacement.