PDA

View Full Version : Inverted?

NewToTheGrounds
03-02-2006, 11:07 PM
does it matter what way u put the sub in a box like normally or inverted with the magnet out or do any specs chamge when u do this or does anything hav to be done to the box to do this?

Jameseypoo
03-03-2006, 12:13 AM
It doesn't really matter, inverted will give your sub more airspace though

bybliz
03-03-2006, 12:36 AM
it doesn't matter if you're using 1 sub, but if you are using more than 1, they all have to be facing the same way or you'll have to change the polarities of either one to match the phase of the other.

BoomCrew
03-03-2006, 12:42 AM
but when u have the one sub inverted does it matter what the polarity is?

Slammed
03-03-2006, 12:44 AM
you must switch polarity once a sub is inverted

if you have vented enclosure your tuning might go down a hair

people do this to show off the sub's backside or because the want to give the sub more space

ssj2xxgotenxx
03-03-2006, 01:01 AM
The sub doesn't displace the interal volume of the enclosure, and if your subs got a nice booty... you can show it off.

Bolognablake
03-03-2006, 01:15 AM
you must switch polarity once a sub is inverted

Didn't know that.

I hate being a n00b. :crap:

bybliz
03-03-2006, 01:27 AM
u do not have to change the polarity if you're using only 1 sub inverted. you only have to change polarity if you are using more than 1 sub where there is a mixing of inverted with non-inverted ones.

BoomCrew
03-03-2006, 01:28 AM
alright, i think i am going to do that with my premiere cause it dont have much air space and it seems like it laks

pwnt by pat
03-03-2006, 01:32 AM
If you don't change the polarity then the sub may fire out of phase which may or may not cause problems with the rest of your system.

Slammed
03-03-2006, 01:32 AM
u do not have to change the polarity if you're using only 1 sub inverted. you only have to change polarity if you are using more than 1 sub where there is a mixing of inverted with non-inverted ones.

now Im confused LOL

Slammed
03-03-2006, 01:34 AM
you run the + wire to the - terminal and vice versa

GemaRastem
03-03-2006, 01:38 AM
switching the phase when inverting 1 sub depends on your system and placement, sometimes switching phase helps, sometimes it doesn't.

bybliz
03-03-2006, 01:54 AM
please read these two threads....

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123617

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142243

Slammed
03-03-2006, 02:39 AM
hmmmm...

I guess it depends on your install, I read differently.....

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=113925

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=72553

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=100662

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=28208

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=91346

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=42063

"With only one sub you can wire it in or out of phase. Theoretically, if you wire an inverted sub in phase, it is out of phase. In car stereo it doesn't matter much because we wire subs out of phase alot of the time anyways. Just remember this, if your sub is inverted its cone is moving the opposite direction it would normally be moving. So if you do mount one inverted and one normal they have to be 180 degrees out of phase with each other"

great quote by Jimi77

Slammed
03-03-2006, 03:05 AM
Didn't know that.

I hate being a n00b. :crap:

lol...we learn something new everyday

I just learned something too :)

helotaxi
03-03-2006, 03:54 AM
With any sub install you pretty much need to try it wired both ways. Until you try, you don't know which way will blend in with the front stage better. Phase is relative and as long as all the subs in the system are in relative phase with one another (they all move in and out with relation to the enclosure together) then it doesn't matter how they are wired to the amp. A single sub will always be in phase with itself, obviously.

NewToTheGrounds
03-03-2006, 08:45 AM
thanx for the help I've had it inverted for a bit now just came to me the other day that maybe there was something special i might have to do lol, as far as the polarity reverse goes i never thought of that one of my friends had told me if you have your polarities mixed up you could reck your speaker or amp, but im taking that thats not true : )

squeak9798
03-03-2006, 08:55 AM
you run the + wire to the - terminal and vice versa

When inverting a single sub you do not necessarily need to wire the positive speaker terminal to the negative amp terminal, and negative speaker terminal to the positive amp terminal. This is the misconception I was speaking of in one of the earlier linked threads.

Polarity is not definite. It's something that should be tried both ways, regardless of mounting method, to determine which polarity sounds best with the rest of the system.

This means that when inverted, you could arrive at the best results with the sub wired "normal" (+ to +, - to -).

To state your above statement is simply, wrong :)

Now mind you, this is for single sub wiring. If there are two subs, they must stay in relative phase as helotaxi pointed out. But that doesn't mean that the inverted subwoofers wiring will be the one that is reversed. The best results may be acheived with the "regular" mounted sub's wiring reversed, and the inverted subwoofers wiring "normal" (+ to +, - to -).

NewToTheGrounds
03-03-2006, 09:09 AM
thanxs great help :) ill try to get sum pics for use of where im at hopefully u guys will like them my first set up and box made it my self

bigguy2010
03-03-2006, 11:42 AM
i have a premier 640 i think it is, it has a thing when you come to the sub setting, and you can change it to reverse is this reverse phase??

squeak9798
03-03-2006, 11:47 AM
i have a premier 640 i think it is, it has a thing when you come to the sub setting, and you can change it to reverse is this reverse phase??

Yes.

Only instead of changing the wires to reverse the phase (like we were discussing here), that will reverse the phase of the signal.

Same effect. Different approach.

burnzie2413
03-03-2006, 11:48 AM
in the interest of learning can someone please explain adjusting phase on an amp and what it does and such? (i think this question goes with the thread...)

squeak9798
03-03-2006, 02:22 PM
in the interest of learning can someone please explain adjusting phase on an amp and what it does and such? (i think this question goes with the thread...)

Sound waves are...well, waves. They consist of peaks and valleys, like any other waveform.

Reversing the "phase" of the signal reverses when the peaks and valleys of the signal occur. And reversing the polarity at the speaker determines when the speaker moves in or out in relation to the signal (this is called absolute phase).

For things like a phase switch on an amplifier or phase reverse in a HU, it's going to actually reverse the phase of the signal itself by 180 degrees. For example, the original signal (like on a CD) has a pattern of "peak, valley, peak, valley", then the amp or HU will reverse the pattern to be "valley, peak, valley, peak".

Likewise, if you reverse the polarity of the wiring at the speaker's terminals (+ speaker terminal to - amplifier terminal, - speaker terminal to + amp terminal), then the speaker is going to move in when the signal is at a peak, and move out when the signal is at a valley. Whereas with "normal" wiring, the speaker would move out with a peak and in with a valley. Simple way to demonstrate reversing the polarity of a speaker is to grab a 9V battery. Touch the + speaker terminal to the + battery terminal, and negative to negative. The speaker will excurt outwards, and hence is in absolute phase. Now reverse the wires....+ speaker terminal to - battery terminal and - speaker terminal to + battery terminal. The speaker will move inward, and is out of absolute phase.

Slammed
03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
When inverting a single sub you do not necessarily need to wire the positive speaker terminal to the negative amp terminal, and negative speaker terminal to the positive amp terminal. This is the misconception I was speaking of in one of the earlier linked threads.

Polarity is not definite. It's something that should be tried both ways, regardless of mounting method, to determine which polarity sounds best with the rest of the system.

This means that when inverted, you could arrive at the best results with the sub wired "normal" (+ to +, - to -).

To state your above statement is simply, wrong :)

No mind you, this is for single sub wiring. If there are two subs, they must stay in relative phase as helotaxi pointed out. But that doesn't mean that the inverted subwoofers wiring will be the one that is reversed. The best results may be acheived with the "regular" mounted sub's wiring reversed, and the inverted subwoofers wiring "normal" (+ to +, - to -).

thanks for clearing this up :)

ECA was wrong then? :eek:

squeak9798
03-03-2006, 03:03 PM
ECA was wrong then? :eek:

Last time I got on ECA from work, it gave my PC a virus :crap:

Slammed
03-03-2006, 03:07 PM
oh shyt :(

Squeak....its weird though, perhaps its my front stage phase, but, last time I wired my sub out of phase (while inverted) it sounded better.

squeak9798
03-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Squeak....its weird though, perhaps its my front stage phase, but, last time I wired my sub out of phase (while inverted) it sounded better.

Could be your cars acoustics, your subwoofer placement and aiming, your crossover frequencies, a combination of them all, etc.

It is going to be completely vehicle and setup dependent :)

phantom240
03-08-2006, 10:01 PM
so in short, what this thread has come to the conclusion of... well as far as WHY would you run it inverted... would be that it could be run inverted to compensate for small box volume... or at least thats the most logical thing i got out of this. Running a sub in and out of phase is pretty much common sense among those who really take the time to understand subs and their acoustic properties. Not that im an expert in the field, its just im on a never ending quest for knowledge of audio. I have audiophilia. lol.

NewToTheGrounds
03-08-2006, 11:35 PM
i flipped mine to show off its booty bc its all chrome and looks nice alot of subs have nice asses : P so why not show em off?

phantom240
03-09-2006, 12:03 AM
i was talking about from a viewpoint of "what performance differences will this make?" not "wow my sub has a nice ***, let me show it off!" though i do agree that some subs are better left backwards...

Chevyaudio
03-09-2006, 12:05 AM
^^^^so im guessing you dont have a W7

directed towards the guy with a dub 7 in his avatar

phantom240
03-09-2006, 12:06 AM
nope!

Personally i think JL's are more hype than theyre worth. My opinion though.

Im gonna show my type-x's cone, cuz its **** and carbon fiber-ey