PDA

View Full Version : Seas Lotus Reference

Rodge
03-01-2006, 07:43 PM
I've picked up a ton of overtime in the last couple of weeks and was thinking about buying a set of these guys. I have very limited experience with component sets. I know, from what I've read, that these things are amazing. My question is, how the heck do you hook them up. Of all the components I've seen, they all have a single crossover, whereas this set has two? Can you hook this set up with a 2 channel amp, or will I need a 4 channel? I noticed from one of the closeups of the crossover there is a terminal marked bypass. By any chance is this used to 'piggy-back' the crossovers together off of one channel? Lastly, will 85W be enough to get these things to shine? I plan on using a DLS Ultimate A5 to run them.

alphakenny1
03-01-2006, 07:46 PM
hmm well my guess is that each speaker comes with its own crossover (ie mid has a crossover and tweet has own crossover) and that you just hook the crossovers up to the speakers and thats it. i can't see why not use a 2 channel to run it but why don't you go active with this wonderful set of speakers? more tuning options rather than running a passive setup.

Colin+M
03-01-2006, 08:19 PM
^^^ he's right, they have a crossover for each driver, and it is possible to power them with a 2 channel amp. I don't know how much they will "shine" with 85 watts, doubt it will sound bad. I am going to run 250 rms per driver when I get mine in Friday. Thats definite overkill and you don't NEED that kind of power.

FoxPro5
03-01-2006, 09:00 PM
This should help with your question: http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=125188

I just put my Reference tweets on the front channels of my A5 yesterday and so far so good. Lot of tweaking to be done yet but the sound is, well, more....kind of hard to describe...just sounds more alive and full than before.

I'm running Performance mids off 75w for now and it's plenty loud. I'll probably send my amp in to have it modded to put out 150w in the future, but it seems fine for now. The sensitivity on them is like 94 db....I don't know much about efficiency but that seems high.

I believe the Ref mids are rated for 100w?

And, yes I can now say that active is the way to go :rolleyes: Thank you Obi-Wan!!!