PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Designs building me a box...

goodrich
02-28-2006, 05:17 PM
i have (2) ED 12" O's that are going into the box. i assumed they would build the box with a divider between the subs but the guy at ED (box builder himself) said that since i was powering them with an MTX 1501D mono amp i wouldn't need to have a divider. i thought if there were more than one sub in a box there had to be a divider, what gives?

djman37
02-28-2006, 05:19 PM
what gives???? THEY SELL SUBS!!!!:D

goodrich
02-28-2006, 05:28 PM
what gives???? THEY SELL SUBS!!!!:D

so are you telling they are full of ****?

iagrdshaka
02-28-2006, 05:33 PM
i have (2) ED 12" O's that are going into the box. i assumed they would build the box with a divider between the subs but the guy at ED (box builder himself) said that since i was powering them with an MTX 1501D mono amp i wouldn't need to have a divider. i thought if there were more than one sub in a box there had to be a divider, what gives?

and how much did you shell out for that box? :crazy:

djman37
02-28-2006, 05:35 PM
so are you telling they are full of ****?

FULL of it? no. I feel that in a common chamber enclosure, if 1 sub goes, the other has a higher potential of going with it. In a split chamber enclosure, each sub doesn't have to worry about double airspace, just double power for a short time.

the thing is that they make/sell subs and offered up a common chamber box. I like split chamber myself.
At RMS for the subs, one sub most likely won't blow though so maybe you will never have any trouble with the subs or the enclosure.

goodrich
02-28-2006, 05:35 PM
can't anyone give me a straight answer?

Johnny Drama
02-28-2006, 05:36 PM
No they are not full of **** this time. If you wire your subs in mono, which your amp is, you dont have to have a divider.

jujumantb
02-28-2006, 05:37 PM
There doesnt have to be. The reason you normally should is that if one sub blows, the other sub would be havng twice the airspace and could potentially blow aswell because of it. With that amp and the O's for however big the box will be, even if one blows in your case, the good one would be fine. In this case, you don;t need one, jeremy knows his stuff and wouldnt do you wrong, not to mention they would be warrantied.

jujumantb
02-28-2006, 05:39 PM
and how much did you shell out for that box? :crazy:
why dont you mind your own business about it? yes, we all know perfectly well you can build your own for cheaper, or even other people could build one for cheaper, why do people insist on getting on others cases when they spend a bit of money for a trustworthy box... :rolleyes:

goodrich
02-28-2006, 05:43 PM
No they are not full of **** this time. If you wire your subs in mono, which your amp is, you dont have to have a divider.

thank you for a straight answer

delvryboy
02-28-2006, 05:46 PM
since it's wired to the mono block, lets say you have 2 dual 2's wired series/parallel to 2ohm. if one blows, it is true it will see double the volume, but it will also see half the power.

bimma85
02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
if a sub blew or something, it would be nice to have a divider to run the single good sub, but it not something that you NEED.

Ignatowski
02-28-2006, 05:52 PM
sealed or ported?
it really doesnt matter sealed if it has a divider or not,I dont use one in my dual sealed box .

goodrich
02-28-2006, 05:53 PM
yeah, it's sealed. supposedly the flat cone O's don't do very well in a ported box.

Ignatowski
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
yeah, it's sealed. supposedly the flat cone O's don't do very well in a ported box.

dood your good to go,,,,

theCybe
02-28-2006, 07:03 PM
since it's wired to the mono block, lets say you have 2 dual 2's wired series/parallel to 2ohm. if one blows, it is true it will see double the volume, but it will also see half the power.

Depending on the amp; In this case, yes;

Half the power or even less, depending on the final impedance of the blown sub. It could open up, and he'd get 2 ohms. Or, it could just get crispy, and the impedance may increase.

Ported or Sealed?

Can't believe nobody asked that.

JimJ
02-28-2006, 07:04 PM
If they could use rebadged MDF, they would...

;)

theCybe
02-28-2006, 07:06 PM
If they could use rebadged MDF, they would...

;)

(rimshot!!)

JimJ
02-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Thank you, I'm here all evening.

ssj2xxgotenxx
03-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Make sure you have them put that classy Elemental Designs metal plate they have one the NiNe.1 onto your box.