PDA

View Full Version : Head UNits with low prevoltages?

trd_camry
02-28-2006, 03:43 AM
Anyone ever wondering why most complanies today are making low prevoltage HU? Its because Preamp dont affect power and proformance? I know there are still some HU with high preamp voltages but thats if u have the cash.

Unlike a couple years ago i can get a HU w/4V preamp..for $250-$300 (alpine). Now days..HU which falls in the same price ranges are only 2.5V preamp. I thought technology suppose to rise every year..meaning that Newer HUs should be better and more powerful the previous ones.

Prowler573
02-28-2006, 03:50 AM
If you're supplying a clean 2.5v signal to your amps then if that preout voltage were increased on the same source I would suggest you couldn't hear a discernable difference. It simply allows for a lower noise floor in the source signal and leaves more headroom in the amp.

With a few notable exceptions most decks don't gives full rated voltage at the preouts until the volume is cranked pretty high anyway. :)

squeak9798
03-02-2006, 11:41 AM
I haven't had a chance to test out any of the new Alpine models, but it's possible they moved to a Vrms rating instead of peak voltage ...

I was impressed with Pioneer a few years ago....they rated some of their decks with a RMS voltage and peak Voltage (I remember one was 4Vrms, 6.5V peak).

I don't think that lasted very long though.