PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Surround Sound

Savstyle
02-27-2006, 10:41 PM
well my bro has been shopping for a 5.1 system for his house. the best priced and most thruthful place he found was magnolia(i think). The stuff there trying to sell him on ive never heard of so im hopeing to get some advice.

Denon 2501 - $650

denon dvd player - $350( is it really worth while to get teh expensive one? do all the extra features help alot)

Nanosat 5.1 system - $800( ive never heard of nano sat speaker before and from the reviews ive read they didnt seem to impresssive. Also the sub the have for the system is a 12 gettting 75 rms, and is bad for music from the reviews. so im really jus trying to get some ideas of what to do or what would be better off doing. I dont think he wants to do much shopping on the net because they wont install what you didnt buy from them.)

so any ideas?

all advice appreciated

Savstyle
02-28-2006, 03:53 AM
First of all, never buy any speaker you haven't listened to first ...

What features does he want/need in a DVD player ?
What features does he want/need in a receiver ?
What TV does he have ?
im nto sure if hes listened to them or not, mainly just read reviews i belieave. DVDplayer i have no idea, there teling him he wont get everything out of his dvds if he doesnt go high end of dvd player, and reciever hes a simple guy but he wants his music and movies to sound good on it. he has a 58" samsung DLP i think its a 58"

Savstyle
02-28-2006, 04:09 AM
From that description, it sounds like they're trying to hustle him into something he may not necessarily need ...

I'd try to get the shop to do a comparison between the Denon and another cheaper brand with the features he needs. Make sure they use the same TV, same connections, etc. so you're only comparing the DVD players.
alllright ill let him know that tomorrow. do you know of any thing "specail" that the more expensive dvd players have that the lower end dont have? besides different connection.

Also what od you think about nanosat speakers? What about the Denon 2501? Ive never seen or read about a prob with denon but i donno anything about home audio

joetama
02-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Make sure that the features of the DVD and the receiver match up.... If you get a DVD player that has six channel out and your receiver doesn't have that it's a waist of money... Same thing with optical outputs and code formats like DD, DTS, DVD-Audio, or SACD...

Savstyle
03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
TTT i know more of you have an opinion let hear it

PV Audio
03-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Do not, and I repeat do NOT get a home theater system where all the speakers are identical. These are just the same thing for different locations which = poor sound. What I mean by this is the HT systems that you sometimes see have the mains and the rears be identical. While it doesn't matter for the rears, the mains need more. Your mains and center are doing a good 70% of the work of the entire HT (besides subwoofer of course) since you have the main action and the dialogue coming from the front. The mains need to be beefier than some simple cubes. HOWEVER, if all the speakers are in fact decent, the point is moot...but that usually doesn't happen. Look to put together a decent component system (towers, bookshelves, center, sub) for around the price of your budget and it will more often than not beat out any pre-made surround set with 5 simple speakers. Solo mi dos centavos.

Savstyle
03-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Do not, and I repeat do NOT get a home theater system where all the speakers are identical. These are just the same thing for different locations which = poor sound. What I mean by this is the HT systems that you sometimes see have the mains and the rears be identical. While it doesn't matter for the rears, the mains need more. Your mains and center are doing a good 70% of the work of the entire HT (besides subwoofer of course) since you have the main action and the dialogue coming from the front. The mains need to be beefier than some simple cubes. HOWEVER, if all the speakers are in fact decent, the point is moot...but that usually doesn't happen. Look to put together a decent component system (towers, bookshelves, center, sub) for around the price of your budget and it will more often than not beat out any pre-made surround set with 5 simple speakers. Solo mi dos centavos.
yeah but he wants it to be as discrete an install as possible, so tower are out of the qestion. I allways thought book shelves and and towers were the same?
If somone has AIM or MSN pm me your addy so we cna knock this out as quick as possible becaue i think he wants to buy this weekend.

PV Audio
03-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Bookshelves and towers are not the same. :)

A bookshelf speaker is just that, it is made to be able to fit into a bookshelf (aka around 12" tall MAX).

A tower speaker is also called a floor standing speaker and these usually start around 36".

joetama
03-04-2006, 04:02 PM
I always classified it as a tower could be a bookself speaker on a stand or some sort of box.... While a floorstander is just that it stands on the floor.....

PV Audio
03-04-2006, 05:24 PM
You Brits and your semantics. :)

Savstyle
03-04-2006, 05:36 PM
ahhhh ha thanks guys

Savstyle
03-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Denon avr 2805 sil
Denon avr 2106

which do u think is better?

and why

joetama
03-06-2006, 01:08 AM
You Brits and your semantics. :)

Yea, well it depends on what part of the world you are standing in as to how smart you are....

Those Denon's are about the same really.... I don't see much difference.

Megalomaniac
03-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Denon is a really good company, they to me better than Bose...my opinion...but i dont know if they are worth the money