PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Supplies

kpozr2
02-27-2006, 08:40 PM
I've been searching the forum for a couple days, and i am hooked on fiberglass, so this weekend my friend's Oldsmobile Intrigue trunk will be my first attempt. yes i will post pics as we go, doing the sides of the trunk, one side holding 2 subs, just some cheap duals that he had, and the other side holding his amp, some cheap sony 1200.1 please dont knock the gear, he's Russian and we're gonna try this for the first time. But first i need a good list of things i need to totally do it. i have 2 respirators, tons of gloves, and goggles. but as far as all of the glass supplies, where do i go to get them? menards? i am getting some fleece sheets at walmart, and i have some 3/4" mdf layin around to make the rings. what else do i need??:crap:

NhustlaR
02-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Im sure ramos will respond with everything soon, but a short little list is here....

Resin-gal or so depending on size
matting-dont know what size or whatever, just get a bunch(ramos will let you know about this one)
disposable(sp?) 1" paintbrushes- get a buttload
bondo- gallon or whatever you think is best(wont need more than a gal most likely)
Tounge depressors to mix the resin and bondo together
Bondo spreading tool to get the bondo smooth(less sanding)
hot glue or staples to mount fleece
dowels/chopsticks/whatever to mount rings to.
umm some thick spray gun primer(if you decide to go the paint route)
paint
clear coat
sandpaper(anywhere from 80(or less depending on bondo job) to 1k grit for wet sanding)

all i can think of now.....

azbass
02-27-2006, 09:21 PM
he's Russian:

the only think i took notice on.

thats Ill.

good luck on the fiberglassin!

blue93corsica
02-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Im sure ramos will respond with everything soon, but a short little list is here....

Resin-gal or so depending on size
matting-dont know what size or whatever, just get a bunch(ramos will let you know about this one)
disposable(sp?) 1" paintbrushes- get a buttload
bondo- gallon or whatever you think is best(wont need more than a gal most likely)
Tounge depressors to mix the resin and bondo together
Bondo spreading tool to get the bondo smooth(less sanding)
hot glue or staples to mount fleece
dowels/chopsticks/whatever to mount rings to.
umm some thick spray gun primer(if you decide to go the paint route)
paint
clear coat
sandpaper(anywhere from 80(or less depending on bondo job) to 1k grit for wet sanding)

all i can think of now.....

-you'll need much more then a gallon for 2 enclosures, maybe 3 to be safe

-2-3oz chop mat

-2-3" brushes, 1" are way too small

and try this, you definately wont need al of this but it gives you a general idea of the tools and materials required

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=41