View Full Version : 1991 Toyota Celica Log (PIX!)

02-26-2006, 06:39 PM
My old car met it's demise when Bambi decided to jump out in front of me while I was on the highway... So, I bought myself this car. She is a 1991 Toyota Celica GT-S widebody.



When I bought it, it had 170k miles, but it was in amazing condition, less a few interior wear spots. It had a 10 year old JVC head unit installed (seriously).

So, I set to work. I had my Premier 770MP installed in my old car, and I switched it over to the Celica.




So I have a nice in-dash unit, now I need some bass, right? I already had an amp, a Directed 1100D.


Now I need a sub. I had sold my old sub (Xtant X series 12") to a buddy. So, I shopped around for a while for a new sub, and I was pretty much set on picking up a 15" RE SE from the group buy. But, then I stumbled across somebody selling a new Powerbass XS 12" sub for a price that I couldn't pass up. So, I bought the XS instead of the SE.

The sub came in about a week later.



02-26-2006, 06:39 PM
So I set to work building a box. The floor of my hatchback has a big lump in it, because of the full-size spare. This meant I had to break out the mat and resin. The box is a 1.8 net cubic feet sealed. I don't have any in-progress pictures, but here's the bottom of the box:


And here is a picture of the trunk, as it is now. I hope to add a 2-channel amp and install some comps in some fiberglass door pods. But that project is down the road a ways.


So the sub is up and running, and it sounds amazing, but I am getting some voltage spikes. I decided to do the big 3. I bought some more Welding Supply wire, which is what I used for everything else in the car.


Awesome, but one problem. While installing the big 3, I was tightening the nut on one of the stock battery terminals, because I noticed it was loose. The metal was so soft, that it bent, and cracked. :cwm17: Time for some new battery terminals.


Awesome. This brings us up to date on where I'm at currently. Now its time for a fun picture:


This sub gets some pretty good movement out of 800 watts. It sounds great doing it, too!

Now, for some future projects I will be doing. As soon as it warms up a little, I will be carpeting the box. I also plan on building a false floor to house the amp and distribution blocks. I may wait until I decide on another amp/comps before I do this. I have some leftover 3/4" MDF from the box that I will use on the false floor. I bought the carpet (WalMart :)) and 3M 90 spray glue.


Thanks to everybody for checking this thread out. I will be updating this thread as my install progresses, so please subscribe!

02-26-2006, 06:40 PM
I'd also like to keep a log, mainly for myself, on how much $$ I've spent on this project.

HU: $185
Amp: $175
Sub: $140
Box materials: $55
Wiring: $135 ish (ugh...)

Running total: $690

02-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Carpet time!

Finally got a nice day (weather-wise) to carpet my box.

Gettin' ready to trim around the gasket:




Top and back are glued, getting ready for the bottom:


Doin' the corners:




In the trunk:


I think it turned out quite nice, especially for my first box-carpeting job! :)

02-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Next up, I plan to do a false floor to house my amp. I'm not sure if I want to keep the distribution blocks, because I haven't decided if I want to spend the time on door pods for some comps... We'll see.

02-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Looks nice.

02-26-2006, 06:45 PM
nice job i like how the box turned out, is it sealed:D

02-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks, woody. Ricky, yes, it is 1.8 net cubes sealed. It sounds awesome, if you were wondering... :D