PDA

View Full Version : Real noob at HT... Can i use 10w3v2? Amps?

SwaveY
02-25-2006, 03:19 PM
I noticed most sites have actual HT subs. Been looking around at these plate amps and such... no idea what im doing. I have 2 10w3v2's sitting in my room that i had used in my car and no longer need them in there (since i got my 18xxx :naughty: ) Anyways, i was looking at this amp:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-794

First off, the question is CAN i use my 10's for HT? I have no idea what im doing here and have been searching forums but every post seems to already know something that I dont about HT. So i will be blunt. I have a big Peavey guitar amp and a little Crate here... like i said i know nothing about HT amps so im wondering if its possible to use them even? I deff need some help on this stuff. Been into car audio for awhile and i took out my 15w0 and 10w3v2's. Dont want to sell the 10s really, i love them. But i have no use for them unless i can hook em up to my computer :) . I have an upgraded sound card and everything... i have a mono sub RCA out aswell. Really just a noob at this and would like to bump in the basement :up2somet:

PV Audio
02-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Both of those on that amp would be sick, even one would be.

SwaveY
02-25-2006, 05:12 PM
What about the whole guitar amp version? Would that work at all? Or would i have to buy a plate amp... i have a acoustin authority sub on my computer already. If i opened it up would the amp in there be able to push my 10's?

JimJ
02-25-2006, 05:35 PM
I would steer clear of guitar amps for home audio...

http://www.partsexpress.com has several choices in plate amps to use.

SwaveY
02-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Why? I thought it sounded like a good idea since it would be free...i dont use my guitar amp. But like i said, i know nothing about HT so... ill take your advice. Theres that amp i posted on the first post for $55 on ebay. Was thinking i should get it. I just run regular speaker wire that i have sealed into my box already to it and and rca to my computer? plug it in and its good? Sounds too easy

chefboyrlee
02-25-2006, 08:36 PM
what are the voice coils on the JL? make sure you can wire to 4 ohms.

SwaveY
02-25-2006, 08:51 PM
10w3v2-D6... 2 of em

SwaveY
02-25-2006, 11:02 PM
bump?

j3bus2k3
02-25-2006, 11:05 PM
2x D6 wires to 3 or 6, right? You might be ok with one of the plates off PE.

Where is this RCA out you mention, on a receiver or the sound card? I dont think I've seen a sound-card with an RCA unless you have one of those external beasts.

SwaveY
02-25-2006, 11:15 PM
I have an optical out and a coaxial out on my motherboard... my pc is a 3.4 ghz with hyperthreading so its pretty advanced

j3bus2k3
02-25-2006, 11:18 PM
<-3.2Ghz with Hyperthreading, but its from Dell so I got jipped on any kind of optical outs...

Run that out to a receiver, a budjet 5.1 off ebay will do fine for fairlyl cheap. Build an enclosure complete with plate amp and bump away...at least thats what I did.

SwaveY
02-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Well i built my computer... so i put the intel D915PBL motherboard in it... its onboard audio so... high definition 8-channel... it enables 7.1 surround :cool:

Receiver? And again im back to whats wrong with the big ****in *** peavey amp i have? Couldnt i just take the amp out of it basically? I have my 10's in 2 sealed enclosures all ready to be hooked up so...

qwerty778
02-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Home audio is vastly different from car audio. Unless you have prior experience, I would not recommend building your own sub enclosure. Acoustics in a room are very different from acoustics in an automobile. Speaker companies spend lots and lots of time on research of how to get a flat frequency response with their subwoofers while maintaining decent spl. If you just want loud, you can do it. But if you want a flat response and good SQ, it's not gonna happen w/o some research and a good design. Hope this helps.

j3bus2k3
02-26-2006, 01:00 AM
The onboard sound is only going to act like a headunit and feed the receiver. Your still going to need something to power the sub .If your peavy can do it at the right load, go for it. I just read another thread showing how a guy made a tig welder from an alternator...necessity is the mother of invention bro. But I dont know what you would do for your satellite speakers. Are you replacing a sub from a current computer speaker system or are you going DIY?

JimJ
02-26-2006, 01:01 AM
If you model it, achieving good SQ with DIY enclosures is extremely possible...absolutely nothing fundamentally more difficult with building a subwoofer enclosure for the home than a vehicle.

If anything, accurate modeling of the vehicle environment is far more difficult.

SwaveY
02-26-2006, 03:55 AM
Im just looking for some bass really. I just want some BOOM and dont really have the cash to throw out $160 on a plate amp. Was thinking since the peavey is just an amp that plugs into a wall outlet that i could run it to my subs instead of the sub in it already... then run a jack to input from my mono rca in my pc.... but i mean if it wont work it simply wont work. I trust you guys obviously you know your stuff. Im just looking for bass really...i have audio ports all over my pc and i got some acoustic authority speakers for highs.... you tell me what will work. Im hear to listen

JimJ
02-26-2006, 04:02 AM
Check Ebay for deals on plate amps...

I guess you *could* use a guitar amp, it would probably make sound...but it being something you'd be satisfied with for any length of time? That's up to you to decide.

SwaveY
02-26-2006, 04:21 AM
Okay well i dont use the guitar amp so i might as well try it and see before i spend any money right? If i dont like it ill use a plate amp. How would i go about doing this tho? like... would it work even? i dont think i could run an rca out of it by any means?

SwaveY
02-26-2006, 12:40 PM
eh?

SwaveY
02-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Okay... should i just let this thread die? I really dont want to try the guitar amp thing and just blow something up (dont care about it but who knows what could happen to my computer or subs) Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Aim: immasmokeu17
MSN: [email protected]
email: [email protected]

ballstothewall
02-26-2006, 11:12 PM
You might want to consider saving up till you get enough cash to buy a plate amp. You don't need something god awful powerful, hell when I hooked up my little 8" sub for a short test, the box started bouncing at around 200watts. You don't need anywhere close to the same amount of power as in a car to get loud.

SwaveY
02-27-2006, 12:02 AM
So what would you recommend for 2 10w3v2's? Im gonna go eBay on this one to get a deal.

ballstothewall
02-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Logic tells me one around 400watts oughta do pretty darn well, but my love of power says buy as big of one as you can afford. You might want to have someone more knowledgeble than me give you validation on this point though.

j3bus2k3
02-27-2006, 12:58 AM
I'd say just go with the 300W Bash Digital off PE. I have no idea if its quality but 150 to each in a nice ported enclosure would be simply awesome.

SwaveY
02-27-2006, 01:38 AM
i got em sealed...for sake of room. They slammed in my car for being 10's. I love em. So umm... 300w? Gonna have to check ebay i found a 250 i think for 55 bucks the other day.