PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket vs. Factory Alarm for Ford Escape?

BodegaBay
02-25-2006, 05:26 AM
I have a very good grasp of car audio including installations and wiring but am a total noob on security. 'Was wondering if you guys can help me with some questions in my nogging of late:

1. Security wise, what will I get by changing to an aftermarket alarm [Directed brands (Python/Viper/Clifford...ahem 6speedcoupe!) preferably]. I have a factory alarm on a 2003 Ford Escape V6 (Duratec engine) that seems to be doing fine. I know about extras features such as 2-way, remote start, etc. but I'm interested in security first.

2. If I decide to change, will it be easy to install say a topline Clifford 2-way remote start alarm on top of my Ford factory alarm? Again, I have wiring experiences such as installing a head unit, amps, fuses, etc. and think I'm competent enough but I don't want to over extend myself if I can find the power door lock or starter wires.
a. What would happen to my factory alarm (power door locks and all) if the aftermarket alarm is installed? Do I rip out the old one or will the new one just bypass the old one?

Thanks guys.

KaeZoo
02-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Your factory alarm system is effective but limited. It will honk the horn if someone opens the door but that's about it. It won't go off if someone smashes the window, for example, and it will be instantly disabled if the battery is disconnected. An aftermarket alarm can be installed with a shock sensor, battery backup and other features that make it much harder to defeat.

The presence of a factory alarm won't make the installation of an aftermarket system much harder; typically you just have to connect one extra wire so that the aftermarket remote disarms the factory system too. All the factory features will remain and work as they always have, with the aftermarket system added on. There's no need to rip out the factory alarm; and in fact it wouldn't be possible because it's built into the OEM electronics modules rather than being a separate system.

If you do decide to try installing it yourself, make sure you have lots and lots and lots of time. Don't try doing it in your driveway.

BodegaBay
02-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Good things to think about KZ. Thanks.

grtn316
02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
If you do decide to try installing it yourself, make sure you have lots and lots and lots of time. Don't try doing it in your driveway.

I agree. I began my first install friday night. I'm 3/4ths finished... Its a compustar 2wass. Lots of wires. My car is still sitting in my driveway. Good thing Its not blocking anything.