PDA

View Full Version : Carpeting before assemble? Using dovetail for MDF seams? Dean connectors?

JL12W7INAGS300
02-25-2006, 03:09 AM
I was just thinking.. once you have all of the individual parts of the MDF cut couldn't you carpet each individual peice.. then screw it all together? Countersink the hole before putting the carpteing and mark the spot? Just an idea, I personally have never built a box. I had another idea.... For an ultimate seal, couldn't you cut the peices of MDF (the ends) with a dovetail that way the wood interlocks? Just put some liquid nails over the seams and in theroy it should have no air leaks. Another thing... a terminal cup takes up a lot of space. I have seen boxes where there is just a hole drilled through and then wire and the hole is sealed really well. Back when I was in R/C cars we used these things called Dean connecters to connect the batteries to the ESC (electronic speed control). They connecters have the same (or lower) resistence than the wire. My point is, if you ever need more or less wire your kind of screwed. My idea is that you put this connecter on the end of the wire thats outside of the box and the other end coming from the amp. Here is the connector I am talking about http://www.srbatteries.com/images/prodlarg/dnsultal.jpg. Just some ideas... LMK what you experts think, once again I have never built a box and only got into car audio about a month ago :furious: :eyebrow:

Ingleside
02-25-2006, 03:25 AM
i think some prefab boxes like the ones JL makes are carpeted before they are put together.
most people on the other hand carpet the box after they are all done so hide things like extra glue (if you're too lazy to sand it) and screws.

JimJ
02-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Dovetailed joints would be **** with a hardwood, but for MDF it's really not needed.

SAG3
02-25-2006, 03:28 AM
so i take it that since you've been into car audio for only a month the first thing you did was go out and buy a W7?

JL12W7INAGS300
02-25-2006, 03:33 AM
Well i've had my equipment for a month but I have been doing research on it, how to install, everything the past three-four months (before I got my car and turned 16) But I can proudly say I have a JL12W7 in a ported box with a 500/1 all wired with JL 4 gauge wires, perihpeal line output convertor, monster RCA's all for under 800. Most of the equipment being brand new. The 12W7 was brand new, the 500 i got from a friend, the box was built for someone at a car audio store near me and they never picked it up so I got it for half price.. I installed everything myself.. good **** ay?

bimma85
02-25-2006, 03:40 AM
so i take it that since you've been into car audio for only a month the first thing you did was go out and buy a W7?
there a problem with that? he didnt come on here saying jl pwns all and talking ****.
I wouldnt do dovetailed joints when you're gonna cover em up. Also j/w do you have any sites(forums) about rc cars. I picked one up for cheap and need to find a few parts and see which ones are better.

JL12W7INAGS300
02-25-2006, 03:53 AM
What do you need to know? I used to be huge into RC Cars (two years ago) but everything is still basically the same. I have some random stuff laying around that I should probably sell. The only good forum I can think of is www.RC10.com .

JL12W7INAGS300
02-25-2006, 03:55 AM
Dovetail joints would make a much tighter seal than just a peice of wood screwed to another peice of wood. I believe that if you'r building a sealed box and you use dovetail joints it will be absolutely leakless with minimal sealent. This is just a theroy, someone put it into use. I have all the equipment to do it I just don't have enough time really.

bimma85
02-25-2006, 03:57 AM
cool thx man, I have an rc10 t3 :D. I need a couple new pieces. The guys at a local shop told me what they were but I forgot the name. also there prices are too high. :crap:. When ya use the remote, its the piece that moves back and forth to make the car move...if that makes sense at all :( :uhoh:

bimma85
02-25-2006, 03:58 AM
Dovetail joints would make a much tighter seal than just a peice of wood screwed to another peice of wood. I believe that if you'r building a sealed box and you use dovetail joints it will be absolutely leakless with minimal sealent. This is just a theroy, someone put it into use. I have all the equipment to do it I just don't have enough time really.
that is why you use wood glue and silicone. You can try it, but it'll just be a waste of time if you're not gonna show it off. At least imo. I've never tried it, but have made plenty of air tight boxes without doing it.

JL12W7INAGS300
02-25-2006, 04:18 AM
thast called the servo, ebay is the place for RC stuff

bimma85
02-25-2006, 04:23 AM
thast called the servo, ebay is the place for RC stuff
yea thats what they called it. Are they all the same size, will only certain ones work for me? any specs I should look for or brands?

JL12W7INAGS300
02-25-2006, 05:08 AM
rc10t3 electric or gas? PM me so this thread doesn't get jacked.

TypeRBass
02-25-2006, 11:42 AM
i'll post some pictures up later of a box im working on now..and how i'm carpeting it....