PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bike

Satan
02-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Im looking for a bike for this summer, figured they should be going a bit cheaper now since its winter, as apposed to buying one in the middle of summer.
Im looking for something fairly fast, around the 600-800 cc range, nothing like a track bike though
I was looking at the ninjas, something like that.. anyone have any suggestions for good solid built bikes?

KnOkIn It 420
02-24-2006, 12:30 AM
R6 Ftw

docutech
02-24-2006, 12:31 AM
How much do you weigh?

D-C
02-24-2006, 12:33 AM
And how much do you want to pay...

Satan
02-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Well i was probably going to get it on ebay, buying from places that specialize in selling that stuff, always make a very large profit, so i was going to go on ebay and search for something fairly local and go pick it up...
I weigh about 185
Looking to spend around 5k used...

spudracer326
02-24-2006, 12:41 AM
i assume you have experiance??? if you do id say r6, 600rr if not then id say like a ninja 500, ducati monster

docutech
02-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Personaly I would go with a 900. 600 is pushin it at your weight and 750 may be ok for ya for a little while, then you will wish you had something bigger. Have you ever ridden a sports bike? And I dont mean around the block either :)
You can pick up a used ZX9 for about that much. If you have an extra 2 g's it will put you on a nice used ZX9.
Did you think about insurance? They will RAPE you because of your age... at least 2500 or more per year.

spudracer326
02-24-2006, 12:47 AM
thing with goin with the 900 is that youll never use it on the street....trust me a r6 would be more then enough for a daily driver....but yeah insurance *****

Satan
02-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Thats the thing..
Ive never ridden a sports bike, ive had dirtbikes all my life, and also ridden a harley a few times, but im aware sport bikes are a bit different, more leaning then just turning, how difficult is it to learn and hows a good way to start learning, i dont want to get a nice bike and take it out and dump it the first time on the road...
Im just worried its gonna take awile getting used to, since harleys and dirtbikes you pretty much sit straight up on, and with sport bikes you need to kinda lay ontop of the tank, right?

docutech
02-24-2006, 12:53 AM
thing with goin with the 900 is that youll never use it on the street....trust me a r6 would be more then enough for a daily driver....but yeah insurance *****

Totaly agree with your point. However, the difference between a 6 and riding on a 9 is like night and day. Who says you have to use that on the street. Thats what highways are for ;) Also you dont get passed as much on a 9 :D

docutech
02-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Thats the thing..
Ive never ridden a sports bike, ive had dirtbikes all my life, and also ridden a harley a few times, but im aware sport bikes are a bit different, more leaning then just turning, how difficult is it to learn and hows a good way to start learning, i dont want to get a nice bike and take it out and dump it the first time on the road...
Im just worried its gonna take awile getting used to, since harleys and dirtbikes you pretty much sit straight up on, and with sport bikes you need to kinda lay ontop of the tank, right?

Well my fellow CA'er, I would go with a street bike then. Decisions, decisions...

RMKrider1
02-24-2006, 12:58 AM
If you've rode dirt bikes all your life you won't have any trouble. There are several good bikes for that price range. Just look around and maybe ride a few before you buy. I ride a zx-11 with a yosh. pipe and dynojet kit and I wouldn't trade it for anything! But they aren't for everybody.

My cousin rides a cbr 600 and a couple other buddies ride R1's and a couple R6s I would personally take the cbr 600 over the R6. Just try a few on for size and see what fit's you.

Satan
02-24-2006, 01:04 AM
what exactly makes a sport bike so hard to ride though, and when you hear somebody say they havent had any expearence yet, how are they supposted to get that expearence without buying one?
I just dont see whats so different from them and dirtbikes and such

PatFitz9
02-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Totaly agree with your point. However, the difference between a 6 and riding on a 9 is like night and day. Who says you have to use that on the street. Thats what highways are for ;) Also you dont get passed as much on a 9 :D

have you ever ridden a sport bike? come ride your 9 next to my R6 and see what happens :P

docutech
02-24-2006, 01:09 AM
I have been riding since I was 17.
Fortunately for you, my racing days are over with :)

PatFitz9
02-24-2006, 01:10 AM
what exactly makes a sport bike so hard to ride though, and when you hear somebody say they havent had any expearence yet, how are they supposted to get that expearence without buying one?
I just dont see whats so different from them and dirtbikes and such

you should get a ninja 500. a little more forgiving, thats the difference. take a dirtbike, give it a 1/4 throttle and count how long it takes to get to 60, or if you can get to 60. then take a modern sportbike, even a "slow" R6 and you probably won't be able to count fast enough. and turning is a little different, esp on the bigger bikes. more weight makes it harder to turn. if you get a 500, you can have the speed without as much balls out acceleration. dirtbikes are similar to sportbikes cuz they have 2 wheels, thats about it.

PatFitz9
02-24-2006, 01:11 AM
I have been riding since I was 17.
Fortunately for you, my racing days are over with :)

then you should know that 600s are pretty close to the 1k's. definately on a track. and even closer with some mods :)

bigbangtheory
02-24-2006, 01:14 AM
I had a Honda Hurricane 1100. Man that bish scarred the **** out of me, hence why I dont ride anymore. If you are used to riding dirt bikes, then you shouldnt have a problem.

*edit* I am with Pat, the turning is different. Street bikes do weigh more.

Just read up and go to classes. If you know someone, have them show you how to ride. That is how I learned.

D-C
02-24-2006, 01:15 AM
I think modern sportbikes are easy to ride, but also easy to get in trouble on. It's simple to twist the throttle, but a lot harder to stop it or turn it if you're inexperienced.

If I were new into riding right now, I'd look for something like an F4- plenty of performance and cheap. Figure out where you want to go from there. And you don't need any more power, really.

Edit- you prolly have a lot of skills coming from dirt, some of the techniques are a bit different though. The best $25 you could ever spend on learning how to ride is on a book by Nick Ienatch called Sport Riding Techniques. You should check it out.

KnOkIn It 420
02-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Personaly I would go with a 900. 600 is pushin it at your weight and 750 may be ok for ya for a little while, then you will wish you had something bigger. Have you ever ridden a sports bike? And I dont mean around the block either :)
You can pick up a used ZX9 for about that much. If you have an extra 2 g's it will put you on a nice used ZX9.
Did you think about insurance? They will RAPE you because of your age... at least 2500 or more per year.

Are u serious man,He ways 185 pounds and has never road,and the R6 sill work for ya now,and when u get a lil better skilled and comfortable u can trick out the R6 and u'll be set

Satan
02-24-2006, 01:46 AM
I think im gonna go with the yamaha r6, those things just look ******..
600 seems like a good beginer bike?
Anyone actally have one?
How do they sound, performe, etc

Lunchbocks
02-24-2006, 02:00 AM
I think im gonna go with the yamaha r6, those things just look ******..
600 seems like a good beginer bike?
Anyone actally have one?
How do they sound, performe, etc

i have 2 friends with r6's. one is an '03 injected model with a d&d pipe, the other is a 99 carbed model with a yoshimura pipe.

very comfortable bike, i personally like how 'flickable' they feel because its a lightweight bike and very easy to lean. my friends are both beginners, near 185lbs too and they've done just fine. i will say the d&d pipe is a little too obnoxiously loud for my taste, but the yoshimura sounds great.

i dont think its a bad first sport bike, being a 600 its power comes on very high in the revs and often as a beginner you're leary of pushing it into the double digits on the tach. much easier than my first bike, liter sized v-twin with power that came on just about anywhere in the revs and torque monster up the ***. just keep in mind that the power comes on late and somewhat quick so you're not in trouble over-throttling through low revs and then hit the powerband under a lot of throttle and get caught off guard.

another thing, get the most ****** helmet you find, custom paint it even so it makes you even more wanting to wear it. its important it really is, i'm lucky to be alive right now, you can see my thread in the lounge called 'bike crash' to see what i'm talking about.

good luck, its a great sport and great amounts of fun in the summer, i dont regret riding one bit.

PatFitz9
02-24-2006, 10:34 AM
you won't be disappointed. i have an akrapovic C/F can on mine, and it sounds awesome. i had the D&D and yeah it's loud, but it does get kind of annoying. it almost sounds like you don't have a muffler at all. but people knew i was coming from about 8-10 blocks away. seriously.

OldManTod
02-24-2006, 10:43 AM
600 is fine, when you get experienced and want more out of it, a 600 will give you all you want.

Plus, truly it will probably be like 598cc's so when you call your insurance agent, he can quote it for having less than 600 cc's...

As far as I wanna buy in the winter and get the cheap price, you missed it, right now I can assure you the going rate of a bike is higher than it would be in october, november, december or january....

Good luck and stick with the 600, nothing to it...

(God I miss my Gixxer)...

T