PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ master cyclinders,brakes all that junk

Jordantyler
02-23-2006, 05:10 AM
Well my brakes went out in my jeep. The brake stick to the floor so i was told it was prolly the master cyclinder, so i was thinkin if i buy a master cyclinder and replace it and bleed the brakes ? cuz its gonna cost like 300 bucks to get it fixed :crying: Has anyone done this before if so is it very hard i know its sticky and messy but i rather spend time doing this then payin alot of cash when i know i can do it myself

Also when u buy a master cyclinder For ur car, when i look up it on ebay its like master cyclinder 93-01 for example does it not have to be the exact model of ur car

i have a jeep grand Cherokee 1994

any advice or suggestions would be great

Thanks
Jordan

Blados
02-23-2006, 05:15 AM
If you dont' know what you're doing, just pay someone else to do it. Brakes are not something to mess around with. That said, replacing the master cylinder seems pretty easy if you have any skills with cars.

Jordantyler
02-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the reply i know some things bout the cars i do know how to bleed the brakes i just dont wanna mess with the master cyclinder part but, i have a lot of people that do know alot bout brakes and such but wouldnt it be alot cheaper than payin like 300 bucks to get it fixed

Blados
02-23-2006, 05:20 AM
If you know somebody that's good with cars and you trust them, why not see if they can help you out? I had the master cylinder go bad on my car a couple weeks ago and I paid $260 just for the part. But brakes are not something to mess around with.

Jordantyler
02-23-2006, 05:21 AM
wow yah i understand, thanks for the replys i called autozone and they sell a master cyclinder for my car for 80 dollars

revrider1
02-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Sounds like it is the master cylinder.

Jordantyler
02-23-2006, 05:29 AM
see i think its that too cuz in the brake fluid thingys there both full so idk, any way i can check to make sure it is the master cyclindeR? cuz this jeep is not moving at all lol

fosgate140
02-23-2006, 05:34 AM
it could cost 300 dollars or your life for taking the easy way out.id choose the 300 dollars

Jordantyler
02-23-2006, 05:36 AM
yah thats what im thinkin i dont wanna die

fosgate140
02-23-2006, 06:06 AM
good choice i would take advantage if you have the money at the moment and have a mechanic replace your mastercylinder

Lunchbocks
02-23-2006, 01:01 PM
good choice i would take advantage if you have the money at the moment and have a mechanic replace your mastercylinder

thats probably the best bet, if you're a little unsure it sometimes pays to go with a mechanic, with something important like the brakes its probably better to be extra sure/safe.

twistedtrik
02-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Just spend the cash. When replacing the master cylinder, you have to bench bleed it, install it, bleed all 4 brakes and on some models you have to do a 4 way abs bleed that can only be done with a handheld. (OBD, OBD2 and so on). Don't skimp on the brakes.