PDA

View Full Version : Replace dash pad with fiberglass?

evan
02-22-2006, 11:12 PM
I was thinking it would be cool to replace the stock dash pad in my truck with a smooth fiberglass one painted to match the truck. I want to make one to replace the stock pad, not just fit overtop of it. With the little fiberglass experience I have (from reading threads on this board) I was thinking it could be done by first coating the stock dash to make a mold, then taping the inside of the mold, then filling that with fiberglass to make the new dash. It could then be sanded and bondo'd until smooth.

Does that sound reasonable to you? Would I need to make the mold in two pieces, or will it flex enough to be able to pull it off the stock dash in one piece?

Here is a picture of my dash
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2985/dashpaint1ql.jpg

and in case you aren't familiar with this style of truck, this is what the dash pad looks like
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/6571/dash9et.png

Chevyaudio
02-22-2006, 11:14 PM
That would be a challenging project, because doing the face of the dash, you would be fighting gravity, and the Resin would want to run.

NhustlaR
02-22-2006, 11:19 PM
what you would want to do is make your own. cut out the stock dash, leaving the mounting screws for you to use.

Then you would want to hook some bendable wire (that is very reinforced so it will not sway or move when you cover it with fleece) to the mounting screw template and make your own dash the way you would like it.

Then after the wire is stable, wrap it with fleece and glass it!

haha thought about that long and hard for a while, a friend wanted it done but I declined due to him wanting me to work for free......

best thing I can come up with :) good luck

blue93corsica
02-23-2006, 09:45 AM
if you want a smooth fiberglass look, why dont you just sand trhe dash down and prime and paint it?

evan
02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it is already cracked in a few places.

theCybe
02-23-2006, 12:14 PM
if you want a smooth fiberglass look, why dont you just sand trhe dash down and prime and paint it?

Is that how you worked the Corisca?

What paint did you use? I'm maybe 60% done with the Prelude, I used DupliColor Plastic/Vinyl coating. I didn't alter the texture, but I did sand it clean. Seems to be working well.

^ half jack, half contirbution.

I couldn't find any vinyl dye, but I'm told that's how it should be done.

Original poster, I've been re-wrapping door panels in new vinyl, and painting it; Maybe that'd be a way for you to retain the original dash structure.

Just peel off the bad, and 3m the new on.
I tried contact cement, but it didn't have enough hold for me to stretch the curves.

twistedtrik
02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
I have a Catalog at home where they sell the 'glass dashes. I can't remember the name of the place, but they have all kinds of crap for trucks. I will try to hunt it down when I get home.

theCybe
02-23-2006, 12:50 PM
I think JCWhitney sells some truck replacement stuff.

blue93corsica
02-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it is already cracked in a few places.

theres a specific material for that, you need a 2 part plastic bonding epoxy (one ex, duramix 40/40) that will bond any broken peices together then sand them down and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue93corsica

Is that how you worked the Corisca?

What paint did you use? I'm maybe 60% done with the Prelude, I used DupliColor Plastic/Vinyl coating. I didn't alter the texture, but I did sand it clean. Seems to be working well.

^ half jack, half contirbution.

I couldn't find any vinyl dye, but I'm told that's how it should be done.

Original poster, I've been re-wrapping door panels in new vinyl, and painting it; Maybe that'd be a way for you to retain the original dash structure.

Just peel off the bad, and 3m the new on.
I tried contact cement, but it didn't have enough hold for me to stretch the curves.

when i originally painted it i justsanded it down,primed and paint then clear, but i am going to re-do it with professional quality paint as right now its just a spray bomb job, i will be using a high build primer first which will build up and once i sand it down it will cover all the texture leaving a smooth 'glass-like' finish

i also re-wrapped my door panals in vynal and used 3m adhiesive but it is still crap, the glue breakes free within a week or two, i forget the name of it but there a proper adhiesive to use which oput performs 3m by far, its a sprayable glue through a gun

twistedtrik
02-23-2006, 01:04 PM
theres a specific material for that, you need a 2 part plastic bonding epoxy (one ex, duramix 40/40) that will bond any broken peices together then sand them down and paint.

when i originally painted it i justsanded it down,primed and paint then clear, but i am going to re-do it with professional quality paint as right now its just a spray bomb job, i will be using a high build primer first which will build up and once i sand it down it will cover all the texture leaving a smooth 'glass-like' finish

i also re-wrapped my door panals in vynal and used 3m adhiesive but it is still crap, the glue breakes free within a week or two, i forget the name of it but there a proper adhiesive to use which oput performs 3m by far, its a sprayable glue through a gun

You can also buy it in aerosol cans. I use it to carpet panels and stuff I did 4+ yrs. ago is still holding strong. I also used the "monkey snot" that you brush on. That is good stuff too just messy if you aren't careful.

theCybe
02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
I used a clear adhesive promoter before I sprayed the plastic/vinyl coat. The final product is more durable than I expected (you could scrape it off with some effort);

The vinyl soaked it up like stain, I scratched it hard with my fingernail, and left only a hairline; The line is from physically damaging the vinyl, though; The paint didn't budge.

Somebody told me to prep with sodium benzoate or something similar to 'devarnish' the factory vinyl, strip all the armorall, etc, and make it soak up the dye.

Corsica; I saw some droop on your vinyl, is that from the Spray 90 or 357?
I had an 88 Beretta, so I'm quite familiar with your car.

blue93corsica
02-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Corsica; I saw some droop on your vinyl, is that from the Spray 90 or 357?
I had an 88 Beretta, so I'm quite familiar with your car.

that is from 3m's super 77 spray, and i just left all that droop because i will be starting on my fiberglass door panels with a week or two so i never bothered to try and fix them

theCybe
02-23-2006, 02:33 PM
The Spray 90 is pretty tough *****.

twistedtrik
02-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I was thinking it would be cool to replace the stock dash pad in my truck with a smooth fiberglass one painted to match the truck. I want to make one to replace the stock pad, not just fit overtop of it. With the little fiberglass experience I have (from reading threads on this board) I was thinking it could be done by first coating the stock dash to make a mold, then taping the inside of the mold, then filling that with fiberglass to make the new dash. It could then be sanded and bondo'd until smooth.

Does that sound reasonable to you? Would I need to make the mold in two pieces, or will it flex enough to be able to pull it off the stock dash in one piece?

Here is a picture of my dash
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2985/dashpaint1ql.jpg

and in case you aren't familiar with this style of truck, this is what the dash pad looks like
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/6571/dash9et.png

Looking at your dash, I realized it is the same as the one in my PU. I carpeted the whole thing like 4 years ago and it still looks great, even after sitting in the Az. sun. Fix your cracks and smooth it out. Throw a little 'glass on it and you are good to go.

evan
02-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Looking at your dash, I realized it is the same as the one in my PU. I carpeted the whole thing like 4 years ago and it still looks great, even after sitting in the Az. sun. Fix your cracks and smooth it out. Throw a little 'glass on it and you are good to go.

So, you think I'd be better off to just put a layer of fiberglass over top of the existing dash and sand that down until it's smooth?

theCybe
02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I think it'll warp (ask my old rear deck) and chip, and not stick.

evan
02-23-2006, 05:00 PM
I think it'll warp (ask my old rear deck) and chip, and not stick.

Do you mean it will warp and chip if it is all made of fiberglass and attached to the dash like the stock dash pad, or do you mean it will warp and chip if I just put a layer of fiberglass on the stock dash pad?

blue93corsica
02-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Do you mean it will warp and chip if it is all made of fiberglass and attached to the dash like the stock dash pad, or do you mean it will warp and chip if I just put a layer of fiberglass on the stock dash pad?

it'll need more then one layer of glass or chipping and cracking is unevitable, there wont be nearly as much strength as need with only 1 layer

theCybe
02-23-2006, 05:11 PM
I took my rear deck out, glassed it all up, sanded it down, only to find out that while the fiberglass was curing, it bowed the deck to the point where it just wouldn't fit back in again;

It wasn't really noticable, but somehow the ****ed thing changed shape :)

So if you remove the dash and glass it, be sure that you have taken measures to help it retain it's shape.

If you glass it while it's still mounted (yikes) I guess it probably won't warp as badly. But good luck removing it after it's rock solid to sand it.

I think the mold-method is your best bet for a whole dash; if you're just talking about the trays, you may be able to remove > glass > sand > paint > replace without as much trouble.

Just giving you the heads up from my experience. :)

twistedtrik
02-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I think the place is called Styling Concepts or something of that nature.

theCybe
02-24-2006, 08:35 AM
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part_family.aspx/CategoryID/1/SubcategoryID/356

twistedtrik
02-24-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part_family.aspx/CategoryID/1/SubcategoryID/356

Thanks Cybe, that's the one I was looking for.:)

evan
02-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Once I pull the fiberlass mold off of the existing dash and clean it up, what should I do to prepare the inside of the mold to make it easier to seperate the final fiberglass dash from it?

blue93corsica
02-27-2006, 12:29 AM
wax or a fiberglass release agent