PDA

View Full Version : is buying cam gears worth it???

Big-Cat
02-22-2006, 11:10 AM
i have only put a full catback exhaust system and shortram air intake. i am planning after awile to put a turbo kit with an intercooler and a blowoff valve. but will cam gears help me at all right now with my catback and intake??? thx everybody. oh by the way my engine is a d16y7 in the honda below

Eugenics
02-22-2006, 01:30 PM
honestly i'd swap it to a b18, you can do it cheaply and it'll be much easier to turbo and see good results. d16 is :uhoh:

as far as the cam gears dont expect to notice a whole lot, if anything

Big-Cat
02-22-2006, 03:29 PM
yeah i know ive looked up some stuff and everybody says that the d16's dont respond well to boltons. but my dad wont let me swap the engine. he already doesnt like me putting performance parts on my engine. in the future (when i turn 18) i will probably deff do like a b16 or b18 series, maybe even a k20 if there cheap enough by then. but ive heard the only real way u can get power out of my engine is a turbo. so thats what im shooting for, i can get one new on ebay for a good price. But for now do u think the cam gears are worth 100$ or no way?

Eugenics
02-22-2006, 04:17 PM
they do respond decently, and you can get around 300hp if you turbo them. but its a whole lot of work/money and more trouble than its worth if you ask me

anyway if i were you i'd start reading up at www.honda-tech.com, you'll know everything you wanted to know and more in no time

Lunchbocks
02-22-2006, 04:21 PM
cam gears Can be worth it but the main purpose is for ease of adjustability in mechanical timing

i really dont think you should mess with it yet, unless you wanna slap them on to look cool. unless you even know what cam degreeing is, better go a different route

marleyskater420
02-22-2006, 05:44 PM
cam gears Can be worth it but the main purpose is for ease of adjustability in mechanical timing

i really dont think you should mess with it yet, unless you wanna slap them on to look cool. unless you even know what cam degreeing is, better go a different route

Why not just advance/retard the cam as it sits instead of getting gears to do it...or is that engine not able to adjust the cam, which is why you need to buy gears?

DaveVT
02-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Lightweight flywheel will give ya better acceleration and faster revs.

spudracer326
02-22-2006, 06:40 PM
lightweigt flywheels on a stock car are pointless....lose to much tourqe and it just makes the car a crappy daily driver....I wouldent do the cam gears and just save for headers and test pipe....or just save for a swap or a faster car....it ***** im in the same boat with my vic....ive jsut come to terms itll always be slow

Big-Cat
02-22-2006, 07:23 PM
ok so its not worth it unless i really know what the *** im doing. yeah im starting to learn on that honda-tech place i have my own user name on there now. it will only let me do 5posts a day though, so thats why im still asking here.

Big-Cat
02-22-2006, 07:25 PM
by the way how much would a b16 motor cost say in good condition used with 100,000miles or less????

Eugenics
02-23-2006, 01:02 AM
by the way how much would a b16 motor cost say in good condition used with 100,000miles or less????

i wouldn't waste my money on a b16, get a b18... probably 800ish at a salvage yard

Big-Cat
02-23-2006, 09:10 AM
how much would it cost for a person to install it for me though???and a b18, how much power does that put out i forgot isnt it like the integra gsr motor?

Lunchbocks
02-23-2006, 11:59 AM
how much would it cost for a person to install it for me though???and a b18, how much power does that put out i forgot isnt it like the integra gsr motor?

theres a b18b, b18c1, b18c5 that i know of and i'm not really a honda guy, i really recommend keep on reading up on honda-tech, wont take long and you'll be surprised how many questions you can answer on your own

Blunt
02-23-2006, 12:04 PM
actually depending on application cam gears can add lot to even stock cams. but from the sounds of your knowledge i'd not do it. go b18 or nothing