PDA

View Full Version : 18xxx bracing

PatFitz9
02-22-2006, 11:03 AM
okay, this is my first box. it's going to be a sealed box for an 18xxx. i was going to double up the MDF where i mount the sub. like a small square behind the trim ring. then i was thinking of putting 4 square rods behind that square for extra suppost. do you think that i need any more bracing in the box? it is going to be about 4.2 cubes without the bracing or driver displacement.

JimJ
02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Should be fine, just remember if you add bracing, make sure to do it to the middle of panels where they're most likely to resonate.

PatFitz9
02-22-2006, 11:34 AM
i was thinking of putting the 4 square rods around the panel behind the woofer. should i just run them all in the same line across the whole box? is that enough? this thing is heavy.

ramos
02-22-2006, 02:04 PM
How big of square " rods" are you talking ? 1 x 1 ? With out seeing your box it's difficult to say exactly how. But I would bet you could simply make two "+" shaped braces. One on each side of the sub. Then you would tie all panels together except the ends. Depending upon how big the ends are. They may or may not need bracing. :)

PatFitz9
02-22-2006, 07:48 PM
well i can't show you a drawing cuz i am still in the planning stage :) do you think that a big plus would be better? should they be 3/4" thick or should i double it up? should they run top to bottom and back to front?

ramos
02-23-2006, 09:10 AM
well i can't show you a drawing cuz i am still in the planning stage :) do you think that a big plus would be better? should they be 3/4" thick or should i double it up? should they run top to bottom and back to front?

well that depends 3/4" thick by how wide ? Considering this is gonna be a pretty large enclosure (probably roughly 4 cuft after bracing) your gonna need some surface area on the large panels. If you make them say 4"-5" wide by 3/4" thick. I think you would be safe. I'm just saying a big plus because, it's a good idea to tie the bracing together. It makes for a sturdier product in the end. The bracing should run top to bottom and front to back, connected together in the middle. :)

PatFitz9
02-23-2006, 10:48 AM
yeah, i think i am going to design the box today. that might give me a better idea on what to do. thanks.