PDA

View Full Version : tools needed?

netherland24
02-21-2006, 08:01 PM
what are some tools need to build box's? recomendations on brands and item #'s i dont want anythin too fancy cause im poor. i have a nice drill, and circle saw. but i know i will need a router table saw. which ones and would a pawn shop have them for good deals?

THUNDERBIRD
02-21-2006, 08:14 PM
all u really need to get is a jig saw man and u would be good to go. but u can get a router at a pawn shop. as far as a table saw u can get that delta one for $100 at lowes. and and a tape measure is always a must. and a some pencils and i use a level

Chevillac
02-21-2006, 08:23 PM
protractor, corner clamps, bar clamps, titebond. I use jigsaw and circular saw (you already have). If you are steady youll be fine with the jigsaw.

sanding paper.

drill. (you already have)

netherland24
02-21-2006, 11:47 PM
is that it?

dbubble
02-22-2006, 01:37 AM
yeah thats pretty much it

Pyro_By_Nature
02-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Yes, those are the tools needed to build boxes.Not nesscessarily good boxes though.You'd go through a good amount of jigsaw blades if you did all your cuts with a jigsaw.

Chuck Norris
02-22-2006, 06:49 AM
I just take a pile of sheet lumber and stand it all up against a wall.

Then with a few well-placed roundhouses the wood gets so scared it simply falls apart into the shapes I need then they fall into place next to one another.

Good stuff.

Termlab
02-22-2006, 07:47 AM
all ya really need is a t-square, circular saw, rotary saw, drill and a pencil...

imaspaceguy90
02-22-2006, 07:52 AM
a rotor would be good, your gonna be sittin there forever if u use a jig saw, You will want some sand papaer, glue, screws, and thats about it. SOmetimes pawn shops have routers, i kno the one enear me ahs a bunch of electric tools, GL on the build.

-Imaspaceguy90

Termlab
02-22-2006, 07:58 AM
i just figured glue/screws or some sort of sealant were a given. sand paper isnt necessary.

ramos
02-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Depends if you plan on building alot of enclosures. If you have any intent of making and selling them

1. . Compass, protractor, angle finder if you can get one cheap, a calculator, pencil and paper.
2. Plunge Router, flush trim bit, asstd roundover bits, 1/4" & 12" straight cut bits, and a circle jig. Hands down the end all be all for cutting perfect holes.
3. Lots and lots of clamps in assorted lengths and function.
4. Table saw. For the time being a couple clamps, a straight edge, and your circular saw will work .
5. Decent drill, counter sink bits. Some use a brad nailer also.

For starters :)

Termlab
02-22-2006, 09:20 AM
you dont NEED all that to build a nice ported/sealed box. unless you are going into angle cuts, things of that nature. a simple rotary saw, drill, and circular saw. to actually cut and shape the wood. for a sealant and to hold it all together glue and screws. to keep everything alligned, a square of some sort, and a measure tape, and a pencil.

its really that simple...

ramos
02-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Depends if you plan on building alot of enclosures. If you have any intent of making and selling them

Re read what I posted. ;) :)

Termlab
02-22-2006, 10:05 AM
even still, if you are just going with standard, sealed/ported boxes, you only need basics. a way to cut panels (circular saw), a way to cut them straight (tape measure, square), a way to cut holes (rotarys saw and or jig saw), a way to keep it all together (screws, glue/sealant), and a way to draw lines (pencil).

there is no need to go into complexities. especially since these are guidlines that MOST people follow. it says "tools needed". these are the tools that are basically required to build a box, and the cheapest to acquire to do so.

ramos
02-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Complexities ?? Clamps are a necessity, you can build without them. But I won't be anytime soon. I suggested a table saw (and his current alternative), and a router because the original poster asked about them. He doesn't mention having a router, jig saw, or a rotoslip or something of the like. Router is just my choice for max value / versatility. If you use screws your gonna need to pre drill the holes. Might as well countersink while your at it. I haven't gone into complexities, just better tools to make it less complicated. :)