PDA

View Full Version : local audio shop box pricing

KngOfThePkngLot
02-21-2006, 12:37 AM
called on a custom ported fiberglass box for the 18" TC Sounds 4HP...will be fiberglassed into the wheel well of the trunk w/ an amp rack...i was quoted $400-$550 for complete installation and build...would be from a highly respected shop(Ultimate Edge) w/ highly experienced builders...does thats seem like a pretty decent price?

KngOfThePkngLot
02-21-2006, 12:50 AM
ttt

Vincent9515
02-21-2006, 12:52 AM
That's an awesome price if they truly do good work.

Eclipse5482
02-21-2006, 12:56 AM
i was suprised by how low it is

rocky 59
02-21-2006, 12:58 AM
i dunno its not hard for just a fiberglassed wheel well. and you could even build the rack off to the side with mdf. i dunno if your up to it do the research and diy

Chevyaudio
02-21-2006, 01:00 AM
agreed, for what you described, thats more than a fair price.

KngOfThePkngLot
02-21-2006, 01:01 AM
i dunno its not hard for just a fiberglassed wheel well. and you could even build the rack off to the side with mdf. i dunno if your up to it do the research and diy
no its not that hard for a simple fiberglass box...i need this one to be 5ft^3 with around 110^2 in. of port though..which is basically my whole trunk, and would need to be built inside, which my box building/fiberglassing skills wouldnt allow me to do....the only sh*tty part is that they would need to keep my car for almost a week.

rocky 59
02-21-2006, 01:03 AM
ya i geuss have them do it then.

KngOfThePkngLot
02-21-2006, 01:08 AM
ya i geuss have them do it then.
yeah but $550 for a box feels like a really hard kick in the balls

bimma85
02-21-2006, 01:16 AM
the shop places for top installers(according to you) they pay for the garage, they pay for insurance, they pay for tools, they pay for the materials, they pay for advertising and the list goes on and on and on and on.
You're getting a hell of a deal dude. Local shop here quote me like $60 an hour plus materials, and this is iowa....not new york ;).

For the time that the project will take, imo you're getting a good *** deal.
I assume the box will be painted or carpeted too?

bimma85
02-21-2006, 01:17 AM
non carpeted plywood tcab for your sub would prolly be that after shipping ;) :laugh: :crap:

rocky 59
02-21-2006, 01:18 AM
no doubt but since you cant do it your self, bend over and lube up cause this ones gonna hurt

bimma85
02-21-2006, 01:22 AM
no doubt but since you cant do it your self, bend over and lube up cause this ones gonna hurt
Where have you talked to about custom labor? Where are you getting your quotes from? $500 for what they're doing, is not foking him in the ***.

KngOfThePkngLot
02-21-2006, 01:23 AM
the shop places for top installers(according to you) they pay for the garage, they pay for insurance, they pay for tools, they pay for the materials, they pay for advertising and the list goes on and on and on and on.
You're getting a hell of a deal dude. Local shop here quote me like $60 an hour plus materials, and this is iowa....not new york ;).

For the time that the project will take, imo you're getting a good *** deal.
I assume the box will be painted or carpeted too?
and this is the other way im looking at it....iand yes it will be either painter or wrapped in red vinyl.

Ingleside
02-21-2006, 02:12 AM
around these parts you would be looking at way more than what you were quoted.
do it unless you plan on doing it yourself.

KngOfThePkngLot
02-21-2006, 02:14 AM
around these parts you would be looking at way more than what you were quoted.
do it unless you plan on doing it yourself.
im most likely going to do it unless i can find someone who wants to trade a set of L7's

dbornotdb
02-21-2006, 09:37 AM
That is a cheap quote.
If you do have them do it, make sure you get it in writing what it all will include.

squeak9798
02-21-2006, 09:42 AM

You are absolutely clueless, aren't you ?

That is a very good price for a custom fiberglass enclosure (read: very labor intensive, experience required, and fairly high material costs) from a reputable shop. More than a fair price.

Hell, most shops charge close to that for a regular square MDF enclosure for a pair of 12's.

IamDeMan
02-21-2006, 10:33 AM
called on a custom ported fiberglass box for the 18" TC Sounds 4HP...will be fiberglassed into the wheel well of the trunk w/ an amp rack...i was quoted $400-$550 for complete installation and build...would be from a highly respected shop(Ultimate Edge) w/ highly experienced builders...does thats seem like a pretty decent price?
That is a good price if you don't want to mess with the task yourlself. Supplies themself are expensive. I am nearly $300 into doing mine(which I will finish one of these months) in supplies. So you figure in labor on top of supply costs and you got a good deal. Before I decided to do it myself I got an estimate from A&B audio for $600+ so your quote is in the ballpark.

NhustlaR
02-21-2006, 10:56 AM
its a total steal.....

forgot you are el cheapo :laugh:

believe me, a 5 cubic foot FIBERGLASSED enclosure(ported no less) SHOULD be way more than that. If you don't think thats a steal, try doing it yourself and see how much time/money you put into it ;) it will be somewhat close to what they want, plus you'll have a major headache for the hmm...2 years it will take for you to make it look presentable

ramos
02-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Yep sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I 'm with dbornotdb make sure you get it in writing. :)

theCybe
02-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Why not give it a try, and if you don't like the result, then pay for the work?

squeak9798
02-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Why not give it a try, and if you don't like the result, then pay for the work?

Because that could end up costing a great amount more in terms of both money (figure atleast $250 for all of the materials) and time.........

If he's not sure or doesn't think he can do it, he's better off just paying them to get it down. At that price, it'd be a hard offer to turn down.

Loudrango112
02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
GREAT place... they know there ****. I would trust there stuff 100% so go with it man.

rocky 59
02-21-2006, 11:49 AM
You are absolutely clueless, aren't you ?

That is a very good price for a custom fiberglass enclosure (read: very labor intensive, experience required, and fairly high material costs) from a reputable shop. More than a fair price.

Hell, most shops charge close to that for a regular square MDF enclosure for a pair of 12's.
no im not clueless about the work. i didnt say anything about it not being hard or being expensive. i was just telling him no matter what you do 400-500 is alot of money. its not like anybody, but bill gates, has money liein around. and im sure king just doesnt have 400-500 bucks just to give away for a box. just proving a point that he gonna have to take this one were its hurts

Loudrango112
02-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Btw ive been to that shop prolly... 5-6 times. May not be the best looking place... but very respectful

theCybe
02-21-2006, 12:07 PM
For me, the time and money spent is worth the learning experience and satisfaction of a job well done; When somebody says, "hey - that's sweet!" It'll be satisfying to know I did the work myself.

Loudrango112
02-21-2006, 12:08 PM
For me, the time and money spent is worth the learning experience and satisfaction of a job well done; When somebody says, "hey - that's sweet!" It'll be satisfying to know I did the work myself.
I agree 100% with this.. but for that price when someone says "Hey - thats sweet!" I can think to my self "Ya for 400 bucks FCK ya its sweet"

NhustlaR
02-21-2006, 12:13 PM
no im not clueless about the work. i didnt say anything about it not being hard or being expensive. i was just telling him no matter what you do 400-500 is alot of money. its not like anybody, but bill gates, has money liein around. and im sure king just doesnt have 400-500 bucks just to give away for a box. just proving a point that he gonna have to take this one were its hurts

He doesnt HAVE to have a fiberglass box.....if he wants it that special way, hes gonna have to pay for it, and this price is **** cheap. Even though it may be a lot of money, to get a custom fiberglassed box for that price is robbery on parkinglot's part ...

squeak9798
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM

If this were a small set of kickpanels or something, I'd definitely agree with you.

But a project of this scale....a lot of money and a lot of time could potentially be wasted in the process. And consider even having the shop do it will cost ~$550 (that's a lot of change, even though it's a good price)....there is simply no sense in potentially wasting and throwing away another few hundred dollars and a couple weeks time "just to see" if he could do it.

Just take it to the shop, save your money, time and headaches, let them get it done in a week for one hell of a low price, take it home when their done and be happy.

This is not the type of project to attempt to begin practicing your 'glass skills. This is not a novice project. And the shop is giving him one heck of a good deal.

guy022077
02-21-2006, 12:56 PM
i think that price is great...consider this..the shops where use to live 550 got you a prefab dual 12 box and a cheesedog amp kit and installation of your own stuff. with 100 to spare. so 550 for fiberglass seems good to me......i myself would Do it myself because its fun but it may cost you 150 to mess it up then end up paying them anyway.. in my case i messed up 3 times for 125 bucks total and still had enough material to make 4 more single 12 boxes right, and have enough left over for my next project. quad 4 10's...its just a matter of is it worth the down time and work time to DIY? I have 2 cars so one being down is no big deal.

ramos
02-21-2006, 01:01 PM
If this were a small set of kickpanels or something, I'd definitely agree with you.

But a project of this scale....a lot of money and a lot of time could potentially be wasted in the process. And consider even having the shop do it will cost ~$550 (that's a lot of change, even though it's a good price)....there is simply no sense in potentially wasting and throwing away another few hundred dollars and a couple weeks time "just to see" if he could do it.

Just take it to the shop, save your money, time and headaches, let them get it done in a week for one hell of a low price, take it home when their done and be happy.

This is not the type of project to attempt to begin practicing your 'glass skills. This is not a novice project. And the shop is giving him one heck of a good deal.

To add to what squeak said. If this was a first project I wouldn't even think twice. I would have them put the quote in writing. And jump on it. This isn't a good ( cheap ) project to cut your teeth on. Besides that, weather is a major factor in most parts of the country this time of year. Don't want to be doing this large of a project outdoors this time of year where I live. IF you want to learn start small with some kicks or something. I would take the deal and run personally. :)

Ingleside
02-21-2006, 01:22 PM
yup, like everyone else said.. make sure to get a quote in writing.
its a steal. yes, its alot of money but look at what you are getting.

theCybe
02-21-2006, 04:41 PM
:needpics:

Get over there and get the work done :)

rukusix
03-14-2006, 05:05 PM
I would say its a "good" also considering I am paying my local shop like $400 for an MDF box with some plexi in it made for my impala and that just the beginning. As much as I would like to save the money and install it myself I am a working man now and have a a fiancee and two kids and play hockey 2 nights a week when I am not working overtime... So seeing as I can afford it I am paying a whole hell of a lot more than that for 2 amps, 2 12s, a HU, 4 speakers, and 100ft. of deadener to be put in my car. But like I said I work full time + ot so I can afford it. I would tell you guys how myuch its costing me but you would all tell me to go kill myself so I won't. I dropped it off last night should have it back by friday or saturday. And yes I will post pics when its done. :)

P.S.

Sorry to bump old post...

IonSQL
03-14-2006, 05:35 PM
I agree with the overall consensus here..... **** good price! Hell, I'd charge more than that myself for what they're doing :naughty:

bjfish11
03-14-2006, 06:28 PM
just get it done. Thats a very good price. Have you seen any of their work? If you have, and its as good as they say, just do it.