PDA

View Full Version : Polyfill stuffing

bdavies11
02-21-2006, 12:13 AM
I have 2 12" pioneers in a sealed box thats slightly smaller than recommended. Ive been thinking of throwing some polyfill in there and have searched through the forums and have found that some people say its ok to just throw it in there loosely, while others say u should glue it to the walls.
My question is, why is it ok to throw it in their loosely? It sounds easy enough but wouldnt the polyfill be blowing around all over the place inside the box when the subs get pounding which could potentially get into the subs and damage them?

lubetek
02-21-2006, 12:23 AM
just toss it in there. It doesn't need to be glued in at all. it can "blow around" all it likes. It will not change a **** thing. The poly fill can touch the subs without causing any problems.

lebomb
02-21-2006, 08:59 AM
I put about 1/2 lb of polyfil in my single 12" sealed box. The box is approx. 1.25cu ft. I bought it at a fabric shop. The stuff is fire resistant and very soft. I just stuffed it in the box and installed my sub. It really smooths out the bass, you still get a good kick though, but the bass is very natural sounding.

bdavies11
02-21-2006, 03:22 PM
I put about 1/2 lb of polyfil in my single 12" sealed box. The box is approx. 1.25cu ft. I bought it at a fabric shop. The stuff is fire resistant and very soft. I just stuffed it in the box and installed my sub. It really smooths out the bass, you still get a good kick though, but the bass is very natural sounding.

Thanks for the reply. That natural bass is pretty much what i am looking for. My box is approximately .900 cu ft (per compartment) which is slightly smaller than recommended but i will be putting about 1 lb of polyill in there for each sub.

lebomb
02-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. That natural bass is pretty much what i am looking for. My box is approximately .900 cu ft (per compartment) which is slightly smaller than recommended but i will be putting about 1 lb of polyill in there for each sub.

Good call..........when I put mine in, to stuff a whole lb. seemed like alot.....the polyfill was really dense. I pulled about half outta the bag, placed it in the box and fluffed it up to fill the enclosure.

Let me know your results..........how it sounds and all.

[email protected]

iceteebone
02-21-2006, 03:43 PM
i hope this is a sealed enclosure or else you'll have polyfill all over your trunk :)

lebomb
02-21-2006, 03:44 PM
i hope this is a sealed enclosure or else you'll have polyfill all over your trunk :)

read his first sentence.............;)

iceteebone
02-21-2006, 04:06 PM
read his first sentence.............;)

i'm gonna cut your balls off for that

lebomb
02-21-2006, 04:16 PM
i'm gonna cut your balls off for that

:read: .................:hide:

iceteebone
02-21-2006, 04:20 PM
:read: .................:hide:

my machette is still sharp.....

M@nJo
02-23-2006, 05:17 AM
^lol

when i first saw that stuff, i thought it would eventually touch the sub coils and burn onto them leaving a mess...but what do i know. i thought it was cotton :crap:

speaking of polyfill, where can i get some for cheap?
does sounddomain sell it?

fosgate140
02-23-2006, 05:21 AM
you can get it at wal-mart just make sure it is flame retardant

lebomb
02-23-2006, 08:42 AM
you can get it at wal-mart just make sure it is flame retardant

I bought mine at a fabric store........$3.99 for a 1 LB. bag of fire resistant polyfil.