PDA

View Full Version : **** American Cars Im through with them

JoseMCeee
02-19-2006, 08:45 PM
What could this be? I was parking then it just turned off. Then this...

http://www.youtube.com/?v=w5NlIWa3-Yk

netherland24
02-19-2006, 08:49 PM
what car is htat? and it looked like u got a electrical problem... got a lemon?

JoseMCeee
02-19-2006, 08:56 PM
ive had the car for 33K miles and this is the first time this happens. I have no idea what it could be. I doubt its the battery because its a yellow top and its only a year old.

lilmaniac2
02-19-2006, 08:57 PM
looks like its in the swithces i could be rong tho

azbass
02-19-2006, 09:00 PM
id still check the batt. even thoes its a yellow top

91lacdeville
02-19-2006, 09:04 PM
American Cars kick ***

JoseMCeee
02-19-2006, 09:05 PM
looks like its in the swithces i could be rong tho

what switches? And how would I check the batt just unplug it?

netherland24
02-19-2006, 09:06 PM
still under warrrenty?

JoseMCeee
02-19-2006, 09:07 PM
nope. Warranty was done in September

Ricky616
02-19-2006, 09:10 PM
is that a cavy i got a 01 cavy coupe and nothin like that has happened it has 34k on it could it be the starter?,electrical problems what type of alt do u have do u have the stock one whats the amp rating on it

JoseMCeee
02-19-2006, 09:31 PM
03 Cav. Everything is stock except for the bigger wires from the big 3.

Ricky616
02-19-2006, 09:42 PM
oh nice car hmm wonder whats wrong why dont u take it back to the dealer do you still have warranty

azbass
02-19-2006, 09:43 PM
did you check the batt and electrical system?

JoseMCeee
02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Ok I jumpstarted it twice and drove down the freeway to get the battery charged up again but when I turned it off it did the same thing. When I try to turn on anything it will just dim really bad and click on and off. Like the emergency lights. So Im starting to think it is the battery. Or could it be anything else?

JoseMCeee
02-20-2006, 06:41 PM
bump. Anyone? Should I just go buy another battery?

iamamp3pimp
02-20-2006, 06:47 PM
You can go to most auto shops and they will test your battery for free...

vladd
02-20-2006, 07:28 PM
the hazard light thing makes me think there's some kind of short causing a ton of amperage to run through them, thats the only thingi could think of that would cause them to flicker so fast.

JoseMCeee
02-20-2006, 08:17 PM
the hazard light thing makes me think there's some kind of short causing a ton of amperage to run through them, thats the only thingi could think of that would cause them to flicker so fast.

well that happens with everything that needs current. Like the head lights also. They will turn on then voltage drops and flickers. The emergency lights takes just enough power so that they just flicker real fast like that.

Tirefryr
02-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Dead alt. Common problem on the CS130, 130Ds and AD230s. I'm guessing the regulator took a crap and then what goes next???? The battery.

And FYI, the foreign cars are more American than the American cars. The Japanese are bringing all their plants over here while the American companies are moving to Canada and Mexico. Make sense? Americans can't build cheap reliable vehicles in their own country, but foreigners can? . . .

JoseMCeee
02-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Dead alt. Common problem on the CS130, 130Ds and AD230s. I'm guessing the regulator took a crap and then what goes next???? The battery.

And FYI, the foreign cars are more American than the American cars. The Japanese are bringing all their plants over here while the American companies are moving to Canada and Mexico. Make sense? Americans can't build cheap reliable vehicles in their own country, but foreigners can? . . .

dam finally some one that knows what I know haha. Seriously Im never touching another american car again. This is gay.

But Im confused to what you are suggesting the problem is. Is it the Alt? Or Battery?

Blunt
02-20-2006, 08:37 PM
alt and if you are lucky the batt didn;'t get killed by the dying alt

Tirefryr
02-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Or a dying battery took out the alt.

Really though, like I said, common problem with the Delco and Delphi alts. We get them in alll the time and it's always a rectifier on the 130 and 130Ds, and the regulator on the AD230s. Get yourself a new battery or have yours tested, then take it to a shop and have the alt properly tested as well. The parts store may be convenient, but you can't always be guaranteed they know what they or doing or have the correct equipment.

Being as how you have an Optima, I'd try to find an Interstate dealer and consult with them. You may be able to get a new battery out of it no cost.

mikescanlon
02-20-2006, 10:01 PM
on the plus sid,e i found this while looking at your video

i have no idea what is wrong with your car, but if you might like this video, which me, even as a non-smoker, could enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e43mVOgsUTw&search=****ed

JoseMCeee
02-20-2006, 10:21 PM
on the plus sid,e i found this while looking at your video

i have no idea what is wrong with your car, but if you might like this video, which me, even as a non-smoker, could enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e43mVOgsUTw&search=****ed

ok thats really random...

Ok heres the update. I took the battery to AutoZone and they tested it out. They said it was completly dead because it was not giving any kind of voltage. Also one of the top posts was very loose from it being snapped some how. So I bought a new battery and every thing is back to normal. Im still unsure if I should check the alt though.

Tirefryr
02-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Always check the alt with any sort of charging system issue.

JoseMCeee
02-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Always check the alt with any sort of charging system issue.

so I should go check the alt also?

imaspaceguy90
02-20-2006, 11:02 PM
I think its the starter motor, and its shorten out, I love GM, and everymechanic loves em unles su work at a ford delaer.

JoseMCeee
02-20-2006, 11:06 PM
I think its the starter motor, and its shorten out, I love GM, and everymechanic loves em unles su work at a ford delaer.

how much would that cost? Also why do u say that? Because wouldnt it not start at all even with a new battery if it was the starter? Cuz for right now its working fine... I just want to make sure that it will stay like that

JoseMCeee
02-22-2006, 01:52 AM
Is there any way to test the alternator with out taking it out of the car? Or do u guys think it is fine?

dleccord
02-22-2006, 02:00 AM
did you call autozone or kragens? most stores usually have skilled technicians, might wanna ask over the phone

JoseMCeee
02-22-2006, 11:32 AM
yea auto zone said they cant test while its still in the car. And theres no way im taking it out because it is hella packed into the corner of the car under the engine.

southstylestang
02-22-2006, 11:44 AM
check your battery cables also. i had a problem like that with my mustang and i thought my car was fuked. but it turns out the cables were just coroded and wasnt gettin good connection. i replaced the cables and battery and it all worked perfect. but now i gotta do the big 3.

JoseMCeee
02-22-2006, 12:29 PM
check your battery cables also. i had a problem like that with my mustang and i thought my car was fuked. but it turns out the cables were just coroded and wasnt gettin good connection. i replaced the cables and battery and it all worked perfect. but now i gotta do the big 3.

but right now the car is working fine. Im just scared to drive it more because I think maybe the battery will die again. But every since the new battery has been in, it starts no problem.