PDA

View Full Version : Mag 12

Showrides
02-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I am planning on hooking a mag 12 up to my laptop to play some music. Right now all I have is the sub and an enclosure for it. As far as plate amps go I am trying to find something that will give me around 1000 rms. The best plate amp I could find at partsexpress is rated at about 1024rms but I heard I would only be getting around 700 out of it. The mag 12 is dvc at 2 ohms. If you have any great ideas on how I can find a better plate amp for around $300-$400 let me know. Then I will just need a little help getting the right things to connect the sub to the plate amp, and the plate amp to my computer since I have never worked with anything but car audio before.

squeak9798
02-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Any particular reason that it has to be a plate amp?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-745

Behringer EP1500....1400w RMS @ 4ohms bridged for $75 less than the sale price on that 1000w plate amp ($150 less than regular price). Plus it's more powerful than that plate amp.

JimJ
02-20-2006, 01:22 PM
What are you running for 80Hz and up :)

squeak9798
02-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Then I will just need a little help getting the right things to connect the sub to the plate amp, and the plate amp to my computer since I have never worked with anything but car audio before.

Oh yeah...I'm not extremely computer savvy...but I believe most soundcard outputs are 1/8" mini jacks. So then you'd just need a mini-jack to RCA wire, and then connect that to the inputs of the amplifier.

Something like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-1-8-Y-adapter-stereo-mini-plug-to-female-RCA-jack_W0QQitemZ5868002741QQcategoryZ32833QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), then connect the inputs on the amplifier to these outputs via regular ole RCA.

Showrides
02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
What are you running for 80Hz and up :)

That is my next question hahaha..

What should i run for 80hz and up and what should i power it with?

Thanks for showing me that other option. It looks better than the plate amp i was looking at. I really appreciate it.

I know nothing about hooking it up to computers either. That is why I have so many noob questions.

That would be awesome if all i needed was the one cable and some speaker wire.

Showrides
02-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Any particular reason that it has to be a plate amp?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-745

Behringer EP1500....1400w RMS @ 4ohms bridged for $75 less than the sale price on that 1000w plate amp ($150 less than regular price). Plus it's more powerful than that plate amp.

Also, the mag 12 is dual 2 ohm vc's. So i think with that amp I would have to do a combination of series and parallel wiring. That is perfectly fine.

I just wanted to get that out there in case anyone finds any better amps and was wondering what the vc config was on the mags.

JimJ
02-20-2006, 07:48 PM
That is my next question hahaha..

What should i run for 80hz and up and what should i power it with?

Thanks for showing me that other option. It looks better than the plate amp i was looking at. I really appreciate it.

I know nothing about hooking it up to computers either. That is why I have so many noob questions.

That would be awesome if all i needed was the one cable and some speaker wire.

What kind of a budget are you dealing with here? That's basically going to determine the best route to go :)

skeptikal
02-20-2006, 07:50 PM
If you are only hooking up 1 mag then you wouldnt need to do a combination of series / parallel... it would just be series.

DVC 2 ohm = 4 ohms in series....

that amp does 1400 rms @ 4 ohms... which would be great for your mag...

Showrides
02-20-2006, 08:11 PM
If you are only hooking up 1 mag then you wouldnt need to do a combination of series / parallel... it would just be series.

DVC 2 ohm = 4 ohms in series....

that amp does 1400 rms @ 4 ohms... which would be great for your mag...

oops...I think i was looking at the wrong wiring diagram.

As for budget. I am looking to spend no more than a couple hundred on the amp and a couple hundred on the speakers.

joetama
02-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Sounds like we need a bit more info to help you make a choice on what else to get.... Btw what's your thoughts on those Mag 12's....

Showrides
02-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Sounds like we need a bit more info to help you make a choice on what else to get.... Btw what's your thoughts on those Mag 12's....

Well all I have now is my computer, a mag 12 (dvc 2 ohms), and I will most likely pick up that amp squeaky suggested above. I will then get that audio jack to rca outputs and that should hook up to the amp. Then I think I will just need to wire the amp to the sub like a normal car audio one.

What I need now are a couple of full range speakers possible and an amp to power them. Also, i will need to figure out how to hook the speaker amp up to my computer. Not sure how that will work. I don't know much at all about home audio speakers. So I am open to any suggestions. I am hoping to get 2 full range speakers for around 200 and an amp for 150-200 range. Just anywhere close to that price range would be nice.

As for enclosures I will either build them myself or get someone to build them for me. It all depends on if I have the time to do it myself or not. If anyone wants to build an enclosure for me in exchange for some type of deal let me know. I would be willing to work something out.

I hope that is all the info you need.

joetama
02-20-2006, 09:52 PM
The JBL Northridge E series has some decent speakers that are pretty inexpensive around the $200 buck mark other wise you could try to look on eBay for stuff, or build your own. But keeping the price around $200 can get hard especially if you build your own. Ascendant Audio has some good Home Audio stuff out now if you are interested in building your own and the R&D department for GG Audio (LOL inside joke) is currently designing and testing a Home Theater main that will be close to the $250 ish mark. Now this part is going to get complicated. If you run out of your computer directly you only have 2 channels Left and Right, so if you "Y" both channels together for a sub then you pollute the Left Right separation for the highs and now have a mono system. Or you could only Y one channel and run the risk of some low end being in stereo and only getting one channel. Plus using that amp you are going to need some sort of Active Crossover to reduce the high end. You are prolly going to need to get some type of pre-amp or active cross over system do to this up right before all is said and done. The best way to think of how to do a system is linearly from point A to point B. So, you are driving the system with your computer, which has 2 outputs L&R. They will run into your high amp for your left and right. Easy no problem there, but now you want to hook up the sub. You hook the left and right together since you only have one sub and one sub amp (which you would still do even if you had more than one sub) and now you have a problem. By simply Ying them together you now crossed the L&R together, so you can’t do that unless you are happy with mono-stereo (mono out of 2 speakers). So, you could use a splitter, an active cross-over, or a pre-amp to solve this problem. If you used the Splitter you would still need to get something to cross over the frequency for the sub, and the splitter would have to be 2 channels. With the active cross-over you would need a 2 channel unit, then y the 2 outputs together for the input of the sub amp. Or you could find a decent but cheap receiver with a pre-out for the sub use that to drive the sub amp and use the amp in the receiver to drive the main stereo channels. I don’t know if this helps but I think it makes it easier if you look at the whole system and try to figure out the best and cheapest way to make it work…

Showrides
02-20-2006, 10:28 PM
The JBL Northridge E series has some decent speakers that are pretty inexpensive around the $200 buck mark other wise you could try to look on eBay for stuff, or build your own. But keeping the price around $200 can get hard especially if you build your own. Ascendant Audio has some good Home Audio stuff out now if you are interested in building your own and the R&D department for GG Audio (LOL inside joke) is currently designing and testing a Home Theater main that will be close to the $250 ish mark. Now this part is going to get complicated. If you run out of your computer directly you only have 2 channels Left and Right, so if you "Y" both channels together for a sub then you pollute the Left Right separation for the highs and now have a mono system. Or you could only Y one channel and run the risk of some low end being in stereo and only getting one channel. Plus using that amp you are going to need some sort of Active Crossover to reduce the high end. You are prolly going to need to get some type of pre-amp or active cross over system do to this up right before all is said and done. The best way to think of how to do a system is linearly from point A to point B. So, you are driving the system with your computer, which has 2 outputs L&R. They will run into your high amp for your left and right. Easy no problem there, but now you want to hook up the sub. You hook the left and right together since you only have one sub and one sub amp (which you would still do even if you had more than one sub) and now you have a problem. By simply Ying them together you now crossed the L&R together, so you canít do that unless you are happy with mono-stereo (mono out of 2 speakers). So, you could use a splitter, an active cross-over, or a pre-amp to solve this problem. If you used the Splitter you would still need to get something to cross over the frequency for the sub, and the splitter would have to be 2 channels. With the active cross-over you would need a 2 channel unit, then y the 2 outputs together for the input of the sub amp. Or you could find a decent but cheap receiver with a pre-out for the sub use that to drive the sub amp and use the amp in the receiver to drive the main stereo channels. I donít know if this helps but I think it makes it easier if you look at the whole system and try to figure out the best and cheapest way to make it workÖ

Wow...I am pretty sure I followed all of that. So would you suggest getting a cheap reciever or doing all of the stuff you said? I have no idea how much all these xovers will be and splitters I may need. This home theater stuff is much more complicated than car audio.

joetama
02-20-2006, 10:30 PM
If it was me I would get the reciever just because it's easier and if you wanted to hook it to a tv or dvd player and expand the system it would be lots easier.

Showrides
02-20-2006, 10:33 PM
If it was me I would get the reciever just because it's easier and if you wanted to hook it to a tv or dvd player and expand the system it would be lots easier.

Ok I will do that. Know of any cheap recievers? Or where to get them? Also, the reciever will power the speakers right? Thanks for all your help.

joetama
02-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Yea they will power your Left and Right speakers... Let me do some looking for recievers here and i'll get back on that one lol (last time there was a hude war about recievers lol)...

Showrides
02-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Yea they will power your Left and Right speakers... Let me do some looking for recievers here and i'll get back on that one lol (last time there was a hude war about recievers lol)...

Thanks. If you give me brand names I can look too.

joetama
02-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Any of the Yamaha's from the RX-V series which you can find online sometimes very cheap. Marantz builds very good ones too, and some of the Denons are ok. The Yamaha's have a lot of nice settings plus they will decode anything you throw at them, and they sound good and clean.

squeak9798
02-20-2006, 11:03 PM
If you are looking for a cost effective, DIY speaker setup, I would consider these two;

http://speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm

http://www.wadsnet.com/~dtenney/dayton_8MTM.htm

Both are good performers, and pretty popular in the DIY realm. Neither are going to provide absolutely stellar, top tier performance, high end performance....but for a beginner project, they'll perform really wonderfully and really give you a chance to learn a bit in the process. Plus they are very easy on the wallet and they give you a full parts list of what you'll need.

Showrides
02-20-2006, 11:18 PM
If you are looking for a cost effective, DIY speaker setup, I would consider these two;

http://speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm

http://www.wadsnet.com/~dtenney/dayton_8MTM.htm

Both are good performers, and pretty popular in the DIY realm. Neither are going to provide absolutely stellar, top tier performance, high end performance....but for a beginner project, they'll perform really wonderfully and really give you a chance to learn a bit in the process. Plus they are very easy on the wallet and they give you a full parts list of what you'll need.

I would like to build something like that. I wouldn't mind doing it. But both of those have subs in those. I am just looking for speakers in the 80-20000 hz range. I already got the sub taken car of. Let me know if you know of any cheap diy projects that just have the highs and not bass too since I doubt I would be able to even hear it anyways.

Showrides
02-21-2006, 12:03 AM
I like these 3 models from Yamaha.

Yamaha RX-V457 6.1 Channels Receiver
Yamaha RX-V557 6.1 Channels Receiver
Yamaha RX-V550 6.1 Channels Receiver

Let me know what you think.

squeak9798
02-21-2006, 12:05 AM
I would like to build something like that. I wouldn't mind doing it. But both of those have subs in those. I am just looking for speakers in the 80-20000 hz range. I already got the sub taken car of. Let me know if you know of any cheap diy projects that just have the highs and not bass too since I doubt I would be able to even hear it anyways.

Neither of those have subs in them ;)

The towers are ported for the midbass...but no subs.

Showrides
02-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Neither of those have subs in them ;)

The towers are ported for the midbass...but no subs.

I just read and it said they have great bass or something ike that. I may try the first one if you thing it would be loud enough.

ngsm13
02-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Indeed. GG Audio FTW!!!

nG

ballstothewall
02-21-2006, 12:24 AM
I just read and it said they have great bass or something ike that. I may try the first one if you thing it would be loud enough.

If you want Loud enough, talk to thylantyr. If you want reasonably loud, those ought to do it.

My horns have great bass, but there is certainly room for the sub :up2somet: :up2somet:

Showrides
02-21-2006, 02:20 AM
If you want Loud enough, talk to thylantyr. If you want reasonably loud, those ought to do it.

My horns have great bass, but there is certainly room for the sub :up2somet: :up2somet:

I will send him a pm. I wish there was just a clear easy answer as to what to do. Right now the mag 12, the mag enclosure, and the mag amp is easy.

The speakers, reciever (if neccesary) and speaker enclosure are up in the air. So is the amp for the speakers in case i don't get a reciever. I think i want to go with a reciever though.

So lets say i get one of those yamaha recievers. Which speaker system here would work best with it?

joetama
02-21-2006, 02:28 AM
What type of music would you normally be playing through them?

Showrides
02-21-2006, 02:41 AM
What type of music would you normally be playing through them?

To be honest everything. I want to be able to show the sub off to people, and still play some good sounding music with it. I would like to be able to play everything from classical, to rap, to techno and have it all sound pretty good. I hope that is possible.

ngsm13
02-21-2006, 02:53 AM
I'd recommend getting:

-Yamaha RX-v1500
-Rotel RB-1080
-B&W 703's

oh and a Pure AV Power Conditioner...

nG

joetama
02-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Yea I do enjoy them lol....

ngsm13
02-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Oh, and I forgot... about $4k more...

nG

joetama
02-21-2006, 02:56 AM
LOL, something like that....

Showrides
02-21-2006, 02:57 AM
I'd recommend getting:

-Yamaha RX-v1500
-Rotel RB-1080
-B&W 703's

oh and a Pure AV Power Conditioner...

nG

I checked the msrp on the rotel rb-1080 and it was $1000. That is out of the question.

joetama
02-21-2006, 02:57 AM
Well I got mine for $929 lol...

Showrides
02-21-2006, 03:00 AM
Well I got mine for $929 lol...

That is way too much. Right now I just got this nice sub and nice amp and enlcosure.

I want to spend another $500 and have my sub hooked up to a decent reciever, and have some speakers hooked up to the reciever as well.

joetama
02-21-2006, 03:02 AM
Yea, I have an addiction and was raised on good gear so I can't go cheap. You should see the audio track lines I have on my arm where i shoot up....

ngsm13
02-21-2006, 03:03 AM
Good one n00bx.

nG

joetama
02-21-2006, 03:12 AM
Ok, so if you listen to a lot of stuff it makes picking out mains more complex than if you liked heavy metal or rap.... Building your own is a definate option, but it can be complicated because of picking speakers, deciding where to x-over at, designing a box etc etc.

Showrides
02-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Ok, so if you listen to a lot of stuff it makes picking out mains more complex than if you liked heavy metal or rap.... Building your own is a definate option, but it can be complicated because of picking speakers, deciding where to x-over at, designing a box etc etc.

I can build my own if I know what it is I have to build. I mean I have no idea where to xover at or how to make an enclosure for more than one speaker. I am asking around on hometheaterforum.com so hopefully I will get some help there.

squeak9798
02-21-2006, 10:19 AM
I can build my own if I know what it is I have to build. I mean I have no idea where to xover at or how to make an enclosure for more than one speaker.

That's why those two I linked to would be great for you :) A learning experience, cheap on the wallet, good sound and everything is already perfectly laid out for you.

Showrides
02-21-2006, 12:01 PM
That's why those two I linked to would be great for you :) A learning experience, cheap on the wallet, good sound and everything is already perfectly laid out for you.

Thanks. I am most likely going to go with the first one. Now all I need to do is get a reciever and I will be all set.

JimJ
02-21-2006, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't spend close to $1k on a receiver either :D

Seperates FTW...;)

Showrides
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks. I am most likely going to go with the first one. Now all I need to do is get a reciever and I will be all set.

I just read everything and am going to go for it. I have never done anything like this before and hopefully I won't mess it up. My only concern is that the midbass seems to be tuned to around 37 hz. My mag will be playing all the bass notes so I am not sure if the midbass woofers are neccesary. I think I do need them to play between 80-2000hz probably and I am guessing the sild dome tweeter will play 2000hz-20,000hz. Is it bad to have a overlap between my sub and my midbass woofers?

Also, building this xover is going to be an experiance:crazy:

I haven't read schematics in awhile.

JimJ
02-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Is it bad to have a overlap between my sub and my midbass woofers?

An overlap is far better than a hole - you can't attenuate what's not there to begin with :D

Bah, schematics for Xovers are easy ;)

Showrides
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
An overlap is far better than a hole - you can't attenuate what's not there to begin with :D

Bah, schematics for Xovers are easy ;)

Yeah, I think i can follow that. And yes a hole would be much worse..haha

Thanks for all the help. It will take me awhile to get all the parts and build this but it should sound nice. Also, will 1 be enough? Or should I build two of these towers? And if i build something like this do i still need the reciever? or can i just get an amp to power this and hook it up to my computer like i originally planned. I thought what someone was saying was that I needed to build xovers if i wasn't going to buy a reciever. Since i am building them now maybe i won't need the reciever.

JimJ
02-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Going with a receiver or integrated amp would be by far the easiest solution.

Showrides
02-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Going with a receiver or integrated amp would be by far the easiest solution.

I am thinking a reciever would be about the same price as an amp. I just hope i get the same amount of power from a reciever as i wil get from buying just an amp. I got to look up the specs on the speakers to see which reciever would be best. Any one of the yamaha's i listed would probably work fine. I am leaning towards the reciever as long as i don't have to sacrifice any power for other features such as reading cd's and such.

squeak9798
02-21-2006, 01:04 PM
You will want a total of 2 towers.....that is, if you enjoy stereo sound atleast.

Showrides
02-21-2006, 01:11 PM
You will want a total of 2 towers.....that is, if you enjoy stereo sound atleast.

That will be cool. I am looking forward to doing this. I just hope I can find a good reciever that will power both the towers.

ballstothewall
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Seperates FTW...;)

1k in seperates FTW

Showrides
02-21-2006, 03:43 PM
1k in seperates FTW

What does that mean?

joetama
02-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Is it bad to have a overlap between my sub and my midbass woofers?

The Yamaha Recievers have a adjustable cross over point for the sub output, which means you can play around with where it over laps and find the sweet spot. With my DM330i's I ran it at about 120Hz now with the 703's it's down to 110Hz, BTW I run an EQ in line with my sub to tune the lowend better...

Building your own speaker shouldn't be easy, because if it is you're not learning or figuring anything out...

joetama
02-21-2006, 05:05 PM

Seperates FTW...;)
Agreed, btw I could possibly maybe be looking to sell my Yamaha reciever. The reason being I want one of the new Rotel RSX-1067 which is over $1k lol....

Showrides
02-21-2006, 05:24 PM
The Yamaha Recievers have a adjustable cross over point for the sub output, which means you can play around with where it over laps and find the sweet spot. With my DM330i's I ran it at about 120Hz now with the 703's it's down to 110Hz, BTW I run an EQ in line with my sub to tune the lowend better...

Building your own speaker shouldn't be easy, because if it is you're not learning or figuring anything out...

Does it have an adjustable xover for the speakers or just the sub?

JimJ
02-21-2006, 06:34 PM
What does that mean?

FTW = for the win, slang for being really killer :)

When I mentioned seperates, I'm talking about a seperate preamplifier and power amp, as opposed to an integrated amp that has those in one box. And a receiver is nothing more than an integrated amp with an AM/FM tuner built inside as well.

Breaking them up into seperate pieces of equipment gives you tons more flexibility in system configurations, but the price skyrockets as well :)

JimJ
02-21-2006, 06:35 PM

Most likely not, fully active systems are relatively rare in two channel home audio. Except for someone like Thylantyr who likes to drain the Western Hemisphere of electrical power to run his line arrays :naughty: :p:

ballstothewall
02-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Come on Jim, you know everyone needs dedicated 100A 220v breakers for their audio setup....:D

joetama
02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
No just for the sub out, which is all you really need. And the amp inside of the Yamaha Recievers is a good amp so atleast for now you don't have to worry about an amp for the full range speakers....

Showrides
02-21-2006, 07:12 PM
FTW = for the win, slang for being really killer :)

When I mentioned seperates, I'm talking about a seperate preamplifier and power amp, as opposed to an integrated amp that has those in one box. And a receiver is nothing more than an integrated amp with an AM/FM tuner built inside as well.

Breaking them up into seperate pieces of equipment gives you tons more flexibility in system configurations, but the price skyrockets as well :)

HAHA FTW i knew. It was just the seperate part of it.

Draining the hemisphere with his line arrays.hahaha

Let me know if you are getting rid of that yamaha reciever you have. I can just pick up one of the other ones, but if you want to work something out we may be able to.

joetama
02-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Hmmm I should but I shouldn't but then again it would be sweet to have that Rotel.... Let me think about a price and how much I really want to get rid of it....

Showrides
02-23-2006, 08:05 PM
I just bought the amp for the mag 12. All I need now is a sealed enclosure. Should I make it myself, or buy it? I have minimal experiance with making enclosures. Not to mention, a cheap sealed box will cost less than if I buy all the tools and build it myself.

Here is the sub.

http://showrides.net/mag/mag-1.jpg

joetama
02-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Building it yourself is what I would say... If you need help I'm sure we can point you in the right direction....

joetama
02-23-2006, 08:14 PM
"
Recommended Enclosures:
0.7 - 1.5 cubes sealed
"

From SI's web page....

squeak12
02-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Yea, I can help you out on an enclosure whether you need it built or help building.

Showrides
02-23-2006, 08:55 PM
I know what size I have to make it. I just don't have the tools at hand. Squeak let me know how much you would charge for a sealed enclosure. Maybe we could even work something out if you were looking for a little extra bass in your life:crazy:

Also, just becasue I am wondering. What is the best way to put two pieces of wood together in an enclosure? Glue? Nails? Screws? combination of all or some of them?

Thanks

JimJ
02-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Use screws unless you have a good finish nailer or a set of corner clamps to hold everything together...

Showrides
02-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Use screws unless you have a good finish nailer or a set of corner clamps to hold everything together...

Thank you. I am glad I wouldn't have to get involved with glue. I have done that in the past and it was awful.

JimJ
02-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Thank you. I am glad I wouldn't have to get involved with glue. I have done that in the past and it was awful.

I didn't say that :)

The glue is what keeps the MDF together, those other things are simply to keep everything together while it cures...

Showrides
02-23-2006, 09:05 PM
I didn't say that :)

The glue is what keeps the MDF together, those other things are simply to keep everything together while it cures...

I am no longer glad:crying:

Thanks for the help.

PhatTonyDeMarco
02-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I am not longer glad:crying:

Thanks for the help.
:eyebrow: Whats so bad about spreading a little glue on the edges?...

Tirefryr
02-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I just bought the amp for the mag 12. All I need now is a sealed enclosure. Should I make it myself, or buy it? I have minimal experiance with making enclosures. Not to mention, a cheap sealed box will cost less than if I buy all the tools and build it myself.

Here is the sub.

http://showrides.net/mag/mag-1.jpg

Shoot me an email, [email protected] I'll hook you up, JUST PAY SHIPPING. Least I can do for SI's lone dealer and a fellow Stang enthusiast.

Showrides
02-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Shoot me an email, [email protected] I'll hook you up, JUST PAY SHIPPING. Least I can do for SI's lone dealer and a fellow Stang enthusiast.

You are the man:naughty:

And glue is just messy, that is all.

Tirefryr
02-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Glue mess is easily handled with a damp rag.

Showrides
02-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Email sent;)

Tirefryr
02-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Email sent;)

Got it. Pay no attention to the vehicle questions, I missed the HT duty part.;)

Showrides
02-24-2006, 06:56 PM
I just tested the sub out free air for a minute using an audiobahn amp that puts out 400watts at 4 ohms. All I can say is, I can't wait to get that 1400rms amp!!!

400 audiobahn is probably about 300 real world. It needs some real power.

InhumanAcura
02-24-2006, 09:34 PM
oh gee, look another si post by showrides...big shocker

your audiobahn sub put out 400 watts to your si sub huh?

you have a link for this subamplifier?

Showrides
02-24-2006, 10:10 PM
oh gee, look another si post by showrides...big shocker

your audiobahn sub put out 400 watts to your si sub huh?

you have a link for this subamplifier?

It's an a8000t. You can look it up.

InhumanAcura
02-24-2006, 10:16 PM
It's an a8000t. You can look it up.

ookay..nice edit

Showrides
02-24-2006, 10:22 PM
ookay..nice edit

Thanks for letting me know.;)

Showrides
02-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Oh yeah...I'm not extremely computer savvy...but I believe most soundcard outputs are 1/8" mini jacks. So then you'd just need a mini-jack to RCA wire, and then connect that to the inputs of the amplifier.

Something like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-1-8-Y-adapter-stereo-mini-plug-to-female-RCA-jack_W0QQitemZ5868002741QQcategoryZ32833QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), then connect the inputs on the amplifier to these outputs via regular ole RCA.

Will my amp work with that cable? I was looking at a picture of the inputs in the back and it didn't seem like it would work.

This is what the description said.

Balanced XLR and 1/4" TRS inputs

Let me know if that was the right converter to get or if I need something different.

Thanks once again.

Tirefryr
02-25-2006, 05:07 PM
YOu'll just need a 1/8 to 1/4 phono adapter in stereo.

Showrides
02-26-2006, 12:21 AM
"I'd be interested to see what the Behringer could do but it's definitely not made for HT. A few things to point out: 1. It has to be rack mounted for proper cooling. 2. these types of amps usually have pretty loud fans moving the air through them. 3. It doesn't have a low-level RCA input which is a huge downfall. Did you look at the connection types? It only takes XLR or quarter inch connections which no HT receiver or power amp comes with. It's meant to be connected via a sound board. I just don't think this will work. The BASH amps are excellent amps. You'll see them listed on some of the better powered subs out there (in the $400-$1000 range)."

That is what someone else told me on another forum who has had a lot of experiance with home theaters. Becasue of that I am probably going to buy two of these to power the mag.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-752

You think buying 2 of them and hooking them together to run 1 sub is ok for a HT?

JimJ
02-26-2006, 12:34 AM
That guy, frankly, has the complete wrong idea.

Yes, Behringer and other pro audio-derived rack amps need some special considerations in interfacing XLR to low level RCA found in most receiver outputs, but there are workarounds for it. And there are replacement fans that will solve the fan noise issues.

The fact is that Behringer and QSC amps are some of the most cost-effective solutions for powering relatively high power home sub setups :)

Showrides
02-26-2006, 02:13 AM
That guy, frankly, has the complete wrong idea.

Yes, Behringer and other pro audio-derived rack amps need some special considerations in interfacing XLR to low level RCA found in most receiver outputs, but there are workarounds for it. And there are replacement fans that will solve the fan noise issues.

The fact is that Behringer and QSC amps are some of the most cost-effective solutions for powering relatively high power home sub setups :)

Well tomorrow I want to make my choice. I will either go with the behringer or 2 of the other amps I showed. Does anyone else here have an opinion? JimJ you seem to know what you are talking about. It is only about $100 more for the bash amps, so price really doesn't matter that much. Just let me know which you think would better power my sub.

Showrides
02-26-2006, 02:16 AM
I think i am going with the behringer. After reading the stats on the bash amp, I found out I wouldn't be able to hook 2 of them up to my one sub.

ballstothewall
02-26-2006, 03:27 AM
Well, I am going with the behringer for home audio duty to power my e8a sub, infact I am looking at the amp right now.

Showrides
02-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, I am going with the behringer for home audio duty to power my e8a sub, infact I am looking at the amp right now.

Did you post in another forum about how much you spent on your system? I am pretty sure I asked you what you thought of the behringer amp.

ballstothewall
02-26-2006, 03:17 PM
I am on this forum, SSA, CarStereos.org and Automotiveforums.com

I might have, I don't remember, but I will have to hold off on that review till I get my crossover in and get the behringer hooked up permently.

My initial thoughts of the amp hooked up to my mains...

****, the fan is NOISY, but it moves alot of air.
Heavy as hell (40 pounds, but hey, if it pushes that much current, its got to be heavy)
Hella powerful, don't even have to take the gains off minimum basically for my mains if I have them hooked up to it.

*edit* The downside is I can't get full power out of it here in the dorm room cause I would blow the breaker... Sooo, its prob alot bigger than I need, but hey, you can never have enough power!! *Tim Allen Grunt*

thylantyr
02-26-2006, 05:25 PM
I'd be interested to see what the Behringer could do but it's definitely not made for HT.

To me, an audio amp is an audio amp.

It has to be rack mounted for proper cooling.

Not true. Here is my four proamp stack running without any rack. Amps sitting
on top of each other. No big deal.

http://home.pacbell.net/lordpk/qsc/PLX3402-100.JPG

these types of amps usually have pretty loud fans moving the air through them.

Some proamps have variable speed fans. At loud volumes usually you don't
hear the fans, at low level listening the fans are spinning slow, less fan noise.
The reason pro amps have fans is because they pack a butt-load of power into
a small footprint, RU chassis size. If the same pro amp were designed to be
fan-less, the amplifier would be 3x bigger in size.

It doesn't have a low-level RCA input which is a huge downfall.
Huge downfall ? You can get a cheap RCA to XLR adapter cable.

It's meant to be connected via a sound board.

no

I just don't think this will work.

Pro amps have gain controls so if your RCA signal is weak, turn up amp
gain.

The BASH amps are excellent amps.

yes

JimJ
02-26-2006, 05:26 PM
I love the beautiful, low-tech rack solution :D

JimJ
02-26-2006, 05:30 PM
http://www.van-weert.com/~jag/DIY_LFE_sub/Rack_voorkant.jpg

That's the baller equivalent, I guess :)

thylantyr
02-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Other amps ideas besides Behringer.

This is a nice snag;
RMX1850HD
http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-RMX-1850HD-C-stock-amp-amplifier-1850-HD_W0QQitemZ7392892119QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-RMX-1850HD-RMX1850HD-POWER-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ7392952307QQcategoryZ14983QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

RMX 2450;
http://cgi.ebay.com/FOUR-4-QSC-RMX-2450-Professional-Power-Amplifiers-Amp_W0QQitemZ7393049326QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-RMX2450-NEW-in-box-trade-show-DISPLAY-amp-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ7393434048QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Probably out of your price range, but look at QSC MX3000A.
http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-MX-3000a-better-than-Crown-Amp-Live-Sound-Sub_W0QQitemZ7392853604QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

$625. Notice how tore up the amp is, yet it has heathy bidding. These are
ballsy amps and nobody cares about cosmetics.

MX2000A;
http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-MX2000A-Great-Condition-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ7393852928QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

MX3000A;
http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-MX-3000a-POWER-AMPLIFIER-Used_W0QQitemZ7394007549QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Yorkville AP6020;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yorkville-AP-6020-AP6020-4000-watt-power-amp-Crown-QSC_W0QQitemZ7393023723QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Showrides
02-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Other amps ideas besides Behringer.

This is a nice snag;
RMX1850HD
http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-RMX-1850HD-C-stock-amp-amplifier-1850-HD_W0QQitemZ7392892119QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-RMX-1850HD-RMX1850HD-POWER-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ7392952307QQcategoryZ14983QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

RMX 2450;
http://cgi.ebay.com/FOUR-4-QSC-RMX-2450-Professional-Power-Amplifiers-Amp_W0QQitemZ7393049326QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-RMX2450-NEW-in-box-trade-show-DISPLAY-amp-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ7393434048QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Probably out of your price range, but look at QSC MX3000A.
http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-MX-3000a-better-than-Crown-Amp-Live-Sound-Sub_W0QQitemZ7392853604QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

$625. Notice how tore up the amp is, yet it has heathy bidding. These are
ballsy amps and nobody cares about cosmetics.

MX2000A;
http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-MX2000A-Great-Condition-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ7393852928QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

MX3000A;
http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-MX-3000a-POWER-AMPLIFIER-Used_W0QQitemZ7394007549QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Yorkville AP6020;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yorkville-AP-6020-AP6020-4000-watt-power-amp-Crown-QSC_W0QQitemZ7393023723QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Those are all nice amps. The first 2 I liked the best. I am probably just going to stuck with the behringer becasue it is about $150 cheaper than either of those and should still give me 1400rms at 4 ohms. I don't think i will need much more than that.

Ben

ballstothewall
02-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Is the Behringer built on the same chassis as the RMX1850HD? Just somewhat less material in it to make it cheaper? Just wondeirng cause the back panels look basically identical.

thylantyr
02-26-2006, 09:30 PM
EP2500 is a RMX2450 clone but it has a smaller VA rated transformer so it's
total output power will be less than a 2450. Nothing wrong with the
clone, but there is a reason why it's $300 cheaper {list price} vs. RMX, it less
power. Nothing wrong with less power, but it's nice to know what you have
vs. the marketing jive which may falsely mislead you into thinking you have more.

The 1850HD is the same as 2450 but with reduced rail voltage, a clever method
to call it 'HD' {heavy duty} without having to redesign a new amp - just use the
2450 design. QSC does this with the new PL and PLX amps too. PL236 is the flagship
design. Take that design and do small things to the PCB like remove some parts {etc}
and re-badge the amp as a lesser model. This reduces manufacturering costs
vs. redesigning a new amp every time.

There is alot of comedy is the audio world if you dig deep.

ballstothewall
02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Interesting, thanks for the info.

joetama
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Even though they are a clone I would almost count on QSC using a little higher quality parts than Behringer....

ballstothewall
02-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Even though they are a clone I would almost count on QSC using a little higher quality parts than Behringer....

I would be willing to bet money your correct. I don't know a whole lot about amps, but the Behringer is ALOT of power for not much money, and they can't do that without lowering the quality of parts in it.

joetama
02-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Don't get me wrong Behringer is very good stuff, but even in the Pro Audio world there is stuff that is better. dbx, KT, Drawmer all builds better gear, but Behringer's price just can't be beat...

ballstothewall
02-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Don't get me wrong Behringer is very good stuff, but even in the Pro Audio world there is stuff that is better. dbx, KT, Drawmer all builds better gear, but Behringer's price just can't be beat...

The reason 3 of my 4 components are Behringer :up2somet:

Showrides
02-28-2006, 10:12 PM
The reason 3 of my 4 components are Behringer :up2somet:

Just to let you know. I ordered the Behringer amp and it will be here the 2nd. I bought some cables which allowed me to hook my laptop up to my reciever. That was cool. For now I am going to have the sub in a 5.1 surround sound setup with a jvc 56 inch hdtv. It should sound pretty good. I will have everything I need, by the 2nd except the enclosure for the sub. As soon as I get that I will make sure to take some pictures to show you everything. Thanks for all the help and I am pretty excited to see how this will all sound in the end.

ballstothewall
02-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Just to let you know. I ordered the Behringer amp and it will be here the 2nd. I bought some cables which allowed me to hook my laptop up to my reciever. That was cool. For now I am going to have the sub in a 5.1 surround sound setup with a jvc 56 inch hdtv. It should sound pretty good. I will have everything I need, by the 2nd except the enclosure for the sub. As soon as I get that I will make sure to take some pictures to show you everything. Thanks for all the help and I am pretty excited to see how this will all sound in the end.

Sweet!!

You have to post pics.... You oughta like that amp, I'm liking mine so far.

Showrides
02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Sweet!!

You have to post pics.... You oughta like that amp, I'm liking mine so far.

I will atleast try to hook up all the surround sound stuff now. The TV should be in this week also. But I really can't wait to hear the sub. We decided to tune it to 25hz so it would still be able to hit the lows that you want to hit in a HT but will still sound great playing music. That was all Tirefyres idea and it seems like the right way to go. Also, the speaker wire for my surround sound I don't think is going to be long enough. Not to mention speaker wire in Home theaters seems to be a much higher gauge them car audio. I am going to have to pick up some serious amounts of speaker wire. Especially with a mag sub that I don't want anywhere near my new TV!! Does anyone know the correct gauge wire to wire everything with? If it is the same rules that apply to car audio then I can figure it all out. Which i bet it is. I have 5 100rms speakers, being powered by the reciever, and the 1400rms sub. I am guessing I will deff need to atleast get a smaller gauge wire for the sub wiring.

ballstothewall
02-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I should be getting my crossover by saturday. The place I ordered it from neglected to tell me it was backorderd for 3 fricking weeks!!! Soo, I canceled it and bought one off of ebay.

Showrides
02-28-2006, 10:40 PM
I should be getting my crossover by saturday. The place I ordered it from neglected to tell me it was backorderd for 3 fricking weeks!!! Soo, I canceled it and bought one off of ebay.

Way to be;)

You don't want to wait that long.

Showrides
03-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Way to be;)

You don't want to wait that long.

Everything is is!!!

Just waiting on the box and then I will be able to set it all up.

I will take pictures this weekend of everything.

ballstothewall
03-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Sweeeeet! Wanna send me a mag to "demo" out in the dorm room for a couple weeks?? hehe

Box still gonna be 25hz??

Showrides
03-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Sweeeeet! Wanna send me a mag to "demo" out in the dorm room for a couple weeks?? hehe

Box still gonna be 25hz??

Possibly....

Yes it is going to be 25 Hz.