PDA

View Full Version : anybody doing exotic boxes

chris229
10-13-2002, 04:04 PM
basshorns ------ tranny lines ------- multi chamber aperiodic designs

rco8786
10-13-2002, 07:58 PM
well i've never built any of these but i've heard a few tranny lines and i must say that whoever invented them is a genius

Corsica
10-13-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by chris229

Care to explain what those boxes are??

J

kicker
10-13-2002, 09:30 PM
got to go with corsica please explain little.

chris229
10-14-2002, 03:21 AM
http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/boxes.php3

http://melhuish.org/audio/horn.htm#disclaim

http://www.bd-design.nl/wwwpages/lowhorn.html

Corsica
10-14-2002, 11:17 PM
Horn drivers sound like something that would be rather interesting to construct. I would like to try it. What materials would u suggest fror them?

J

chris229
10-15-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Corsica
Horn drivers sound like something that would be rather interesting to construct. I would like to try it. What materials would u suggest fror them?

J braced MDF----- I have built a comprimised bass horn for my car. Though it was so comprised that it sounded like a 1 note box ---------------but F*cKing loud The horn mouth exited right into the cabin in my car from the trunk

ramos
10-15-2002, 06:45 AM
I'm helping a friend build a horn enclosure for his home theater. We are loading the enclosure in the floor of the room. Can't wait to hear it. It should be awesome. :)

chris229
10-16-2002, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by ramos
I'm helping a friend build a horn enclosure for his home theater. We are loading the enclosure in the floor of the room. Can't wait to hear it. It should be awesome. :) like this--------------
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

what are the specs to the horn system??
what flare or combo flare rates are you using?
what are the throat and mouth and length sizes?
what is it tuned to?
What is the radiation angle? finite, 1/2space, 1/4 space?
how many drivers?
what is the design goal? sensitivity--- efficiency
where did you get your horn formulas from ?

ramos
10-16-2002, 09:38 AM
It's quite large. We are still working out the math. We are using the W. Marshall Leach horn model for the basic formula's. We are using 1 Electro-voice EVM12L. ( I had an extra laying around :D ) The goal we are aiming for is efficiency. We intend on using a single channel 50w amp. According to the response plots we have done. It should be quite incredible for a single 12" and 50w :) right now we are working on a 30hz tuning. I know it's going to be huge. But we have a whole room. :D

Corsica
10-16-2002, 06:35 PM
**** chris!!! That's the only word to come to mind here. I would love to hear this ****!!~! Anybody have an enclosure like this in the Western NY area??

J

chris229
10-17-2002, 02:13 AM
**** chris!!! That's the only word to come to mind here. I would love to hear this ****!!~! Anybody have an enclosure like this in the Western NY area??

J ----basshorn???? go to your nearest concert though they aren't as big and powerful as what were talking about----- basshorns can make one 12" sub sound like------ a whole rack of 12"s sealed

thing is ---- they can be somewhat big

ramos
10-17-2002, 07:31 AM
That's our intent. To make one 12" with 50w, sound like several with 10 times the power. :)

Corsica
10-17-2002, 10:21 PM
How would I go about building one for a car?? And do these have really good SPL as opposed to a ported or vented box??

J

chris229
10-18-2002, 01:40 AM
How would I go about building one for a car?? And do these have really good SPL as opposed to a ported or vented box??

J well ------- that remains to be seen as you can see there are complications

1 ----------- tuning to bass freq requires huge boxes that are ------ at the smallest ------ as big as your whole car's cabin
2 ----------- the more you fold a horn the more noise and response problems you run into
3 ----------- It can be seen a wasting space when compared to normal systems with small sealed boxes

chris229
10-18-2002, 01:46 AM
basicly if I had a pick-up truck with a cap on the bed I would mess around with it
maybe 4-15" and about 4000W in a 16 foot folded horn-------- folded once------ and couple the mouth of the horn directly to the rear window of the cabin-----------glass removed of course BUT in a car------------ it just isn't going to happen-------- maybe you could get away with it in a SUV but the horn would take up the whole cabin

Corsica
10-23-2002, 03:00 PM
No pictures of this kind of install in a vehicle chris??
Also do u have ne pix of ur own installs?

J

chris229
10-23-2002, 03:50 PM
No pictures of this kind of install in a vehicle chris??
Also do u have ne pix of ur own installs?

J

go here---

www.geocities.com/benzo229

the horn pic there is just the box side of it

it was a multiple lens device--------- basicly it had to put in my car in parts THEN assembled -------which locked it into the car---------when I didn't like the narrow tuning [cause it was small] it had to be CUT out of my car----------- yea i'm one of those guys:crazy:

I just made a simple amp rack

power acoustic apc-2200W
legacy 1000W
2-30 band EQTs in each corner
2F cap
10 disk cd changer kenwood
2 behringer pro audio 110V processors in the lower part
------------vinyl wraped pods are 6 3/4 orion and 5 1/4 bostons-----------------------------------

these were taken for insurance -------------

sub are in a truck wedge box right now-------i'm done messing with this car--------hate it

i've had this car from high school-------------- tried of it

u can see in some some of the pic car is not all together--------------- still isn't either-------:banghead: