PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup your next enclosure

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:11 AM
Ok ok... so not many or any of you know what the phukk I am talking about...but there is a wonderful little program that exists that easily allows ANYONE to do 3d graphics and rendering.

If we even get some talented folks here @ the program... I would be willing to host a site to hold components for the program. (Components are typically accurate reproductions of parts, accessories, etc... though can be designed to exact dimensions) Say you want a particular amp, subwoofer, lighting set-up... you can do it all with this program.

A lot of guys are utilizing it for various purposes. One of the most prominant I have seen lately is for case-modding over @ bit-tech.net. Seriously... check out this powerful tool that has been untouched for this market! The site (http://www.sketchup.com/) includes a free demo along with a video tutorial on how to use the program and all of its features. (thats right... ALL of the features)

**note... I am not spamming this here because I do not work for this company, but I feel this is a VERY good tool that could be utilized for just about anything involving car audio**

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 02:15 AM
BTW

<---- = SketchUp

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:17 AM
So...you're advocating pirating programs which is not allowed?
Nope... I not once said anything about pirating it... They have a free trial download that is fully functional directly on their site.

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:18 AM
BTW

<---- = SketchUp
Nice work... I should show off some of my stuff done w/ it... mostly pc Cases... but I have a few other things in the works like a new desk and some other furniture

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:22 AM
No, not at all. This site is really only around 30% of my audio stuff, I'm not particularly worried. It's just that advocating software pirating is not allowed.
Again... you phukking JACKASS I am in NO way condoning software piracy. There is a FREE trial that is fully functional ON THEIR VERY OWN SITE!

Rockguy475
02-18-2006, 02:26 AM
the site is legit i have been there b4... pretty good layouts

bimma85
02-18-2006, 02:28 AM
Where do the other 70% of your clueless suckers come from ?
miss one jntar :confused: ;) :crap:

Site looks interesting to say the least... dunno if I'll figure it out though :crap:. Is it very hard?

Edit: I'll give ya +1 for now, I may come back for it though :D

Johnny Drama
02-18-2006, 02:31 AM

Site looks interesting to say the least... dunno if I'll figure it out though :crap:. Is it very hard?

I dont edit other mods posts. It would be pointless. They can lock/unlock themselves.

PLEASE! Keep this on topic. This isnt the lounge.

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:31 AM

Actually.. if you go through the FREE video tutorials first, it is quite easy to learn it. If you have some experience in other imaging software it helps a bit, but trully.. they go above and beyond to show anyone how to use it fairly easily.

Not to mention the program itself is just amazing!

(btw... thnx jntar... can I start a thread in the lounge @ this as well, just to beat the **** out of Lemans?) :D lol

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Actually.. if you go through the FREE video tutorials first, it is quite easy to learn it. If you have some experience in other imaging software it helps a bit, but trully.. they go above and beyond to show anyone how to use it fairly easily.

(btw... thnx jntar... can I start a thread in the lounge @ this as well, just to beat the **** out of Lemans?) :D lol
....I misunderstood your intent, which I already apologized for, but Jntar deleted the post.

Johnny Drama
02-18-2006, 02:34 AM

Moe Lester let me play with a similar program last time I hung out with him. Very awesome stuff.

If anyone has an issue with the deletions PM me and we will talk. You will however keep this on topic or your post will be gone.

bimma85
02-18-2006, 02:34 AM

me=no experience w/ imaging software :crap:....guess I'll check it out anyway

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 02:36 AM
Nice work... I should show off some of my stuff done w/ it... mostly pc Cases... but I have a few other things in the works like a new desk and some other furniture
Picccccccccxxxxxxxxxxx...............

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:37 AM
Really, you do not need too much experience with it. Check it out, you can even check out the video tutorials beforehand and see what it is all about.

If anyone wants to see some samples of various work... pm me and I can sen dyou links to images, or I may be able to post them here... even though they are not enclosures

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 02:39 AM
Pfffft, just post them either way. It's your thread.

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:41 AM
meh.. what the hell.. will post up an image here

This is a case design I am working on for my gaming system @ the house.

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/StaticLullaby77-View2.jpg

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 02:43 AM
GOOD ****ING GOD!!

Jesus, that's incredible! :wow: :omg:

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:45 AM
This... gives a GOOD instance of how easy it is to use when you have a good component menu. While there is nothign pre-fab for car audio that I have found yet. Given specs, etc...I am certain some talented guys from here, or even myself could possibly do some serious component designs that make it easier for ALL to work better with this program.

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 02:47 AM
Oh, I thought you freehanded all of that. I was thinking..jesus this guy is good. Still, that is incredible work, nothing that I've ever seen from SketchUp.

mikey060
02-18-2006, 02:48 AM
awesome work:)

i may have to give that program a whirl someday

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Oh, I thought you freehanded all of that. I was thinking..jesus this guy is good. Still, that is incredible work, nothing that I've ever seen from SketchUp.
I did freehand a good bit of the component work along with seom friends from another forum. A guy has a small site up w/ nothing but pc components now for free download.

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 02:55 AM
Then I reinstate my previous thoughts of GODDAM!

Also..how do you know that I'm lemans already?

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Also..how do you know that I'm lemans already?
I am talented that way :D...

Ingleside
02-18-2006, 05:02 AM
holy crap.. i can barley manage to design my new tv stand that im making.

this program is truly awsome in the sense that its really easy to pick up and learn things on the way.

Pyro_By_Nature
02-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Wow..........

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 12:46 PM
holy crap.. i can barley manage to design my new tv stand that im making.

this program is truly awsome in the sense that its really easy to pick up and learn things on the way.
YW... :D I like how it also has the measuring tape tool so that you can mak ethings to an exact scale. Fabulous tool!

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 12:48 PM
WTF is follow me tool? I've never used it, and it always screws up stuff when I try it.

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 01:01 PM
WTF is follow me tool? I've never used it, and it always screws up stuff when I try it.
Go thru the tutorials and figure it out :D... I never really use it myself, so it is not easy for me to describe its usefulness.

HotCarl
02-18-2006, 01:02 PM
my free trial ran out.:crying:

i love that program.

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 01:07 PM
my free trial ran out.:crying:

i love that program.
Buy the program...lol ok so it is expensive as hell, but... if you know a thing or two about computers... you could always whipe the registry info on it and reinstall for another free trial period.

Rattlebrain
02-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Whats the limits on the free trial?

Rattlebrain
02-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Buy the program...lol ok so it is expensive as hell, but... if you know a thing or two about computers... you could always whipe the registry info on it and reinstall for another free trial period.
How do you "whipe the reg."?

HotCarl
02-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Whats the limits on the free trial?

500 minutes or something

i swear that i didnt use all those minutes.

i only designed like 10 boxes, max.

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 01:42 PM
8 hours is the time for the free trial.

To whipe the reg is a detailed process and really if you do not know how it is rather difficult to explain. If you contact me on a messenger program I could probably walk you throught it.

Rattlebrain
02-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I dont need to do it right now, but I may hit you up at a later date.

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 01:50 PM
I dont need to do it right now, but I may hit you up at a later date.
Not a problem @ all... hit me up anytime. Or you can send me a pm here, or an e-mail (I think my e-mail is listed here too lol)

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 02:30 PM
^^ I got mine for 20 bucks through my dad (runs a laboratory at IU) since he can get next to all software for free or close to it.

I'll send it to you if you'd like.

Chevyaudio
02-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Sketchup is a fun tool to use, but ive gotten so used to Rhino, that Sketchup feels "awkward"

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Rhino is pretty good too... but I put Sketchup here because it is a bit easier for most to learn.

I got my copy for free...Sketchup is one of the sponsors of a contest I am holding for case modding for my new computer company and they gave me an active license for it. :naughty:

Eldorado
02-18-2006, 06:47 PM
I doubt i can run it on my beast of a computer but i'll try anyways.

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 06:59 PM
I doubt i can run it on my beast of a computer but i'll try anyways.
It is a surprisingly light running program... give it a shot

Eldorado
02-18-2006, 07:21 PM
I tried it, i gave up because i dont know what to draw...lol

Ingleside
02-18-2006, 07:36 PM
not an enclosure.. just some tv stand im building today.

http://kickin-it.com/TV%20stand.jpg

PV Audio
02-18-2006, 07:45 PM
I like that, it's unique, but don't know about functional.

Ingleside
02-18-2006, 07:52 PM
thanks. im still tweaking it before i start cutting wood.

its a hell of alot better than what my TV is on right now.
latley alot of my furnurtiure has been scrapped sub boxes. im sitting on a 1.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure that i ended up not selling.

next is a table/desk to house my turntables and computer.

Alaxan
02-18-2006, 09:58 PM
I will post some more of mine up a bit later on... :D

BoomCrew
02-19-2006, 02:38 AM
Today was my first ever hearing about this program, ironicly enough i was looking for a program to do this type of function. I have designed two differnt boxes that are very basic, i was just trying to familiarize myself with this program

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/amd_2800/Practice_CRX_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/amd_2800/67892214.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/amd_2800/0e41e111.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/amd_2800/3c17c1c9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/amd_2800/4dc4073c.jpg

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 03:55 AM
Very nice work! Easy program to use aint it? :D... you can also... make diff panels and piece them together to give the shape of the enclosure, while keeping all of your dimensions correct AND...easily figuring out all of the cuts you need to make down to perfection.

I am going to do an enclosure and post it up just as an example of wht I mean....

Chevyaudio
02-19-2006, 03:57 AM
how do you convert the files to IMG format....all I can save them as is a dammn Sketch up document

Ingleside
02-19-2006, 04:00 AM
how do you convert the files to IMG format....all I can save them as is a dammn Sketch up document

File > Export > 2D

Chevyaudio
02-19-2006, 04:05 AM
This is actual a quick mach up of the box in my truck currently...the flat piece of wood comebetween my two seats (I have a single cab truck) and thats where the amp mounts....enjoy, I dont think its half bad for like 5 min. lol

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3079/box6rf.jpg

Pyro_By_Nature
02-19-2006, 04:08 AM
Here's one of my 1/4 wave t-line/horn hybrids (also called many other things) that I drew up in ohhh about 6min. (and before you say anything about the "port" not being the same width throughout, it's supposed to be like that.)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/449000-449999/449633_159_full.jpg

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 04:26 AM
I'm the best installer than all of you bastard's :D
Not only EXTREMELY rude and OFF topic, but ignorant as well...*sigh*... ****ing children

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 04:29 AM
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/StaticLullaby77-EnclosureExample.jpg
This is a quick draw of one I just now did. Took me all of 5 minutes. I have a full line of custom materials as well to fit just about any style material you could imagine putting on here.

The purpose though... was to show how you can have everything measured exact... with the measure tape tool you can simply run from one point to the next and have each and every panel laid out for you exact! I made this all to spec w/ a 3/4" MDF panel... if you need to, shrink the width of each panel down to 5/8" or even smaller. Sky is the limit...

Eldorado
02-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Im loving that port !
Is that a TCAB ?
Dont lie now....

BoomCrew
02-19-2006, 02:31 PM
i do love that program, the boxes are taking me like 20 min to make up, but they get quicker everytime i make one, and i really impressed with the ease of that program and the outcome of the boxes, i do have the full version of version 5. i love being a computer geek

bibby
02-19-2006, 02:36 PM
link to the program??? n/m in first post

Jester1318
02-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I played through the tutorials a while back with sketchup, and now have a full version of sketchup5. I have been using Rhino 3d for some box designs but have no experience with making boxes in sketchup. Is it alot like using other software (i.e. rhino and autocad)?

Anyone have any quick step by step tutorials for box building? As I do like the look and abilities of this program so far

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 03:43 PM
It is a LOT easier than Rhino, or anything else...

Tutorials are free on the site

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Im loving that port !
Is that a TCAB ?
Dont lie now....
Actually... I modeled that one..very roughly... off of a transitional wave design I had created oh...13yrs ago... the box was MASSIVE, but made any speaker put into it sound wikked

saywhat?
02-19-2006, 04:37 PM
noone uses sketchup, its obselete lmao.

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 04:39 PM
noone uses sketchup, its obselete lmao.
That why all of your "designs" are done up in sketchup? Bleh... move along little one... move along

saywhat?
02-19-2006, 04:42 PM
doubting my design ability i see? its all good, i mean you couldnt even account the sarcasm in my post.

id love to have a way to do a plexi window with certain logos and ****. anyone know how? omarvelous did it, but i couldnt figure how.

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 04:44 PM
doubting my design ability i see? its all good, i mean you couldnt even account the sarcasm in my post.

id love to have a way to do a plexi window with certain logos and ****. anyone know how? omarvelous did it, but i couldnt figure how.
Import the logo into the design on sketchup... or... use it as a custom material and keep it opaque enough to be transparent

saywhat?
02-19-2006, 04:56 PM
doesnt it have to be a vector? and how do u make it so the window is like the design, not a window with the design "sandblasted" into it

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 04:56 PM
VERY roughly done, but you get the idea...

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/StaticLullaby77-EnclosureExample1.jpg

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 04:58 PM
doesnt it have to be a vector? and how do u make it so the window is like the design, not a window with the design "sandblasted" into it
Do some work in photoshop and make a new material... or... are you talking @ something else?

saywhat?
02-19-2006, 05:03 PM
say i have a pic with the word "300ZX" in the style i want. but i want it as a plexi window on the box. like the most be wood, but just the words be plexi and see through.

Alaxan
02-19-2006, 05:06 PM
say i have a pic with the word "300ZX" in the style i want. but i want it as a plexi window on the box. like the most be wood, but just the words be plexi and see through.
Ahhhh ok I get what you mean... takes alil work on photoshop to do it, but you can make a material that is the size of the wood, and then from there make the logo transparent. Apply the material and you should be good.... Otherwise... you could make the logo ontop of the wood in sketchup then drop it down to cut it out.

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 03:05 AM
Im finding it really hard to get exact dimensions.
It doesnt like to do just 12" its gotta be 12" and 3/4" or 12" and 1/4" or dumb crap like that.

Alaxan
02-20-2006, 04:25 AM
Zoom in a little closer to the piece you are working on. You can do this (if you have a scroll mouse) using the scroll wheel, or use the zoom tool (can do this even while you are in the midst of making a particular panel). If you want to get exact dimensions... you can also type in the number directly for each side of the panel... 12" (or 1'), 16" (or 1' 4"). the panel will automatically go to the right size. Just click the mouse button and voila.

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 04:38 AM
I had it zoomed in pretty good.
I wasnt shure if i could just type in the dimension or not.

Alaxan
02-20-2006, 04:44 AM
I had it zoomed in pretty good.
I wasnt shure if i could just type in the dimension or not.
Yeah... it is really cool that way. You can zoom in a lil closer, type it in directly, hell you can even use the measure tape tool before you begin and have every dimension laid out in advance Along with the protractor tool. The sky is the limit.

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 04:48 AM
I made an enclosure but i screwed it up when i was all done and couldnt go back and fix it.
But it was good learnin.

Alaxan
02-20-2006, 04:56 AM
I made an enclosure but i screwed it up when i was all done and couldnt go back and fix it.
But it was good learnin.
meet my good friend... ctrl+z lol... undoes all the nasty **** that was not done properly

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 04:59 AM
I tried him, he didnt want to work.
I had it carpeted and everything too.
I think i hit radius and it just went all funkee
oh wells, it wasnt the right dimension either

Pyro_By_Nature
02-20-2006, 05:29 AM
If you're having a problem getting it to a proper dimension then get it as close as you can.Then, when you use the dimension tool just right click on it and click "edit text".Enter the measurement you actually want and viola!

Pyro_By_Nature
02-20-2006, 06:42 AM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8803/ssfinished6yi.jpg

dru
02-20-2006, 12:45 PM
ill stick to inventor :)

NhustlaR
02-20-2006, 10:03 PM
just used it for a couple min, and i came up with this.....haha 10 min of using this program and its soooo much easier than inventor/autocad IMO

a lil pic
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5050/wallplan7pn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

PV Audio
02-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Lol, wtf is that?

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Thats an enclosure lemons
Dont hate

PV Audio
02-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Window>model info>units>fractional

Makes everything oh so much easier.

PV Audio
02-20-2006, 10:18 PM
You should do the tutorials. It may seem simple and worthless, but you'll see how it helps you.

Chevyaudio
02-20-2006, 10:20 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/chevyaudio/PortedBox1.jpg

a little more...

oh yeah...thats suposed to be 1 inch MDF...thats why its so thick...Ill post up some more later

Chevyaudio
02-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Double 15 enclosure....tuned high.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/chevyaudio/box3.jpg

NhustlaR
haha sorry man, like I said I had just downloaded it and was playing around

PV Audio
You got prawned by the color sets.

Chevyaudio
02-20-2006, 10:25 PM
You got prawned by the color sets.

where?

saywhat?
02-20-2006, 10:55 PM
no0bs. lol

how were u making computer cases? explain vaguely so i can sorta play with that as well.

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 11:02 PM
While i was in the process of replying my computer froze.
either this program is the devil or i have a virus
Thank god for autosave though !
How do i post my results ?

saywhat?
02-20-2006, 11:02 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/sacreddispute03/123.jpg

saywhat?
02-20-2006, 11:04 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/sacreddispute03/chriscox.jpg

have a free plan, 2.5 at 35 i believe.

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 11:04 PM
I bet it would sound like pooh
looks cool though

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
since no one will tell me how i just did a print screen and cropped it
Here is my pimp enclosure:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6930/sdfgrewgh9hz.jpg (http://www.caraudio.com/vb/%5BURL=http://imageshack.us%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6930/sdfgrewgh9hz.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D)

saywhat?
02-20-2006, 11:14 PM
I bet it would sound like pooh
looks cool though

lmao how do u figure it would sound like poo? because th port is on a different axis than the sub? ever seen a CRX box? SUV box? hmmmmmmm speak when u know what ur speaking about. that is all.

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Probably the fact that the woofers are firing at each other...
I know what a CRX enclosure is and what you made is nothing like one.

Chevyaudio
02-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Cancelation FTW!!!!!!!!!

saywhat?
02-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Probably the fact that the woofers are firing at each other...
I know what a CRX enclosure is and what you made is nothing like one.

specify which enlcosure ur speaking of in an edit once u see i posted twice. the see thru enclosure is not final if you would of read my thread. the angles are not exact. as for cancelation with the ports how they are......nope.

Eldorado
02-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Its not worth my effort to argue....
Plus its off topic

saywhat?
02-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Its not worth my effort to argue....
Plus its off topic

no arguing lol. there was never an argument. u acted as if it was to final angles, and its not. and u are the one who took it off topic.

ballstothewall
02-20-2006, 11:58 PM
My futile efforts at modeling my back loaded horns

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/7837/blhwithoutside2ix.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1947/blhwithcolor4ec.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

saywhat?
02-21-2006, 12:00 AM
bad ***. if u draw lines from the corners of the steps to the edge it will close them seperately

ballstothewall
02-21-2006, 12:14 AM
You guys know if there is a way to draw to scale, and have a ruler on the axis or something and then have it label the dimensions automatically?

Johnny Drama
02-21-2006, 12:26 AM
My attempt to re-create what has commenced in my garage...

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4286/console10ub.jpg
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5534/console21nx.jpg

PV Audio
02-21-2006, 12:28 AM
I made a horn the other day :)

PV Audio
02-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Since poeple seem to have taken a liking to this program, here's the sealed 12RLP box i'm going to make (two of them, one for each RLP).

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6770/rlp0se.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BRACING FTW!!!!

ballstothewall
02-21-2006, 12:49 AM
If your so intent on bracing it, why don't you have anything on the back wall?

PV Audio
02-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Because it ain't finished foo.

:slap:

Chevyaudio
02-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Just messing around

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/chevyaudio/RearHorn.jpg

squeak12
02-21-2006, 02:13 AM
How do I get the image onto an uploadable format to post? I know how to use photobucket, but how do I get it to there?

Chevyaudio
02-21-2006, 02:15 AM
File>Export>2D Graphic

squeak12
02-21-2006, 02:17 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/squeak12/15Magangle.jpg

I just figured it out before you told me. Thanks though.

Eldorado
02-21-2006, 03:39 AM
Not shabby.
Its alots eaiser to draw it out on sketchup than to actually make the enclosure.

squeak12
02-21-2006, 03:41 AM
With all the 45* angles in that box, hell yeah its gonna be easier to draw than build...

james33440
02-21-2006, 04:47 AM
Oh, so this is the reason I was getting so many PM's about the program. ;) I didn't know there was a topic. :)

Like I already told everyone through PM's, all you have to do is search for the name with serial or activation in google and you will get the crack. :)

I like the program. It's really simple to use. If I have time though, I always use AutoCad. :)

Alaxan
02-21-2006, 04:54 AM
no0bs. lol

how were u making computer cases? explain vaguely so i can sorta play with that as well.
I start with a motherboard, add on a video card, and then begin building up the case around it. Whatever comes out of it... well comes out of it. I have a good few designed right now actually... and one I am working on currently that is pretty sweet.

Alaxan
02-21-2006, 04:56 AM
since no one will tell me how i just did a print screen and cropped it
File>export>2Dimage

Alaxan
02-21-2006, 05:02 AM
Lots of really cool designs! Told you gys.. this is an easy program and powerful tool for this stuff!

joetama
02-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Sneak peak at the GA Series 1, from GAE...
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8624/aaa3gu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5653/aaa25pq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Alaxan
02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Very nice... if we could get some more talented guys to start working on designing speakers etc... we could come up with a very nice collection of plug-in components to make life easier for all as they work on their builds in this program.

vladd
02-24-2006, 11:27 PM
much easier on the computer than solidworks, but i still prefer solidworks a bit if i have time, but sketchup is definately an easy program, can built a box 10x as fast as solidworks.

My only complaint is how can i get it to display the units as decimals without converting to feet? like 23.5in instead of 1' 11 1/2" ?

Alaxan
02-24-2006, 11:46 PM
much easier on the computer than solidworks, but i still prefer solidworks a bit if i have time, but sketchup is definately an easy program, can built a box 10x as fast as solidworks.

My only complaint is how can i get it to display the units as decimals without converting to feet? like 23.5in instead of 1' 11 1/2" ?
Not certain on how to change that, though... you may be able to find somethign on it if you check out the tutorials. The measurement is just about the only downfall to the program IMO, but it is simple enough for anyone to use and makes a really cool layout really simple

Eldorado
02-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Down with standard
Go metric !

86yota
02-24-2006, 11:59 PM
How do you do like 3/4 wood..

vladd
02-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Down with standard
Go metric !

i would if everything didn't use standard, i'm comfortable with metric, but since most things are listed in standard, i go with whats easy, no use converting the cutout diamter, port diameter, and board thickness when i could just use what they're already in

JimJ
02-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Fostex lists all of its plans in metric dimensions, because teh Japanese are silly :D

vladd
02-25-2006, 12:08 AM
the inventor of the metric system only did so that he wouldn't have to deal with fractions anymore, and i don't blame him.

86yota
02-25-2006, 01:04 AM
I dont get how to veiw it with the texture?

saywhat?
02-25-2006, 01:06 AM
u can change it, ask pv audio to tell u how. if anything double click it, and type it yourself.

saywhat?
02-25-2006, 01:10 AM
if i knew where to start on designing speakers, or atleast the front of them, id do it.

Another Device
02-25-2006, 02:58 AM
Here's a free plan for a 12" XXX. It was going into my Kia when I had it, but I made 2 mistakes: I didn't make sure that it would fit through the opening of my trunk, and I had Home Depot cut the pieces for me.
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8173/boxucular3wc.jpg

Eldorado
02-25-2006, 03:49 AM
How do you do like 3/4 wood..
It *****, i use .75" :crazy: