PDA

View Full Version : How to connect a head-unit in a house?

rotciv005
02-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Hey guys, i need help i have a cd-player. Is it possible to connect it in my room?with AC? If yes, how? Thx for the info.:)

netherland24
02-18-2006, 12:20 AM
power inverter... hook up the constant and ignition together to postive and then black to negative ont he inverter and that is it

squeak9798
02-18-2006, 12:24 AM
Hey guy, i need help i have a cd-player. Is it possible to connect it in my room?with AC? If yes, how? Thx for the info.:)

DO NOT connect it directly to your house outlet.

Since it is just a small headunit, a smallish AC-DC convertor would do what you need. But even the "small" ones are decently expensive..... http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=53&ObjectGroup_ID=427

You could do the old car battery in your room + a charger nearby to recharge the battery when it depletes...but then you run into possible ventilation issues depending on the battery. And that's a very serious issue.

If you are good with electronics, you could pick up a computer power supply, and tap into the PS's internal 12VDC leads. A little more tricky, but may do what you need.

Are you going to be using the HU's internal amplifier? That'll partially determine how much current the HU is going to draw, and how big of a power supply you'll need to support it.

mikegett
02-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Most likely your HU will only pull one to two amps. Five at the most. Look and see if you have a small powersupply from old electronic equipment. That would be the black box that plugs into the wall. A common source would be cell phones. You will see a rating on the power supply. Input 100vac and output 12 vdc. The important rating will be the current or amps used. Devices like a cell phone may only be rated for 1-200milliamps. They will burn up very quickly. I believe the old nintendo units had a power supply. I have a universal powersupply rated for 3 amps bought from wal-mart for 15 dollars. Just cut off the minijack and wire it to the radio.

jer_stud56
02-18-2006, 05:27 PM
I took 2 6v batteries, ran them in parrellel, and hooked a charger up to em and used my amp to play with it a little bit. Should work the same for a cd player.

GO-N DEF
02-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Just park you car in your bedroom... :)