PDA

View Full Version : Sealed > Vented........discuss

lebomb
02-15-2006, 06:52 PM
.........Ive gone back and forth. I started with sealed, loved it, tried vented, loved it.......and my ultimate opinion......sealed is just more accurate. Sealed is NOT as loud and powerful, but you hear much more bass riffs with the sealed application.

....................discuss?.....debate??? :eyebrow:

PatFitz9
02-15-2006, 06:53 PM
ummm this isn't a discussion, those are the facts. check the box building forum sticky.

JimJ
02-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Personal preference > you.

That's about the only valid comparison I see here...

M@nJo
02-15-2006, 06:56 PM
when i had my L7's in a sealed box, i loved it. but i tried out some prefab ported box off ebay and still loved it. it got much louder and hit harder in a big box than my small sealed box i originally had them in. i can only imagine how well a built ported box will sound like..

subwoofers like l5/l7 are meant to be ported imo ;)

khail19
02-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I think it really depends on the sub you're using. Most of the time sealed will sound better and more accurate. But a well built vented box for some subs can still sound great and be loud. I think your topic is way too general to get much of a discussion.

lebomb
02-15-2006, 07:11 PM
I think it really depends on the sub you're using. Most of the time sealed will sound better and more accurate. But a well built vented box for some subs can still sound great and be loud. I think your topic is way too general to get much of a discussion.

yeah, I understand......this is just for shiits and grins. :crap:

Chevyaudio
02-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Its a personal prefrence thing. I personally Like sealed better, Sounds more accurate, and gives me all the output I need.

docutech
02-15-2006, 07:13 PM
My L7 is sealed. Love it. It is LOUD. Bass is tight and very accurate. Shakes the hair, tickles the scalp and vibrates clothes when wangin'. For me it is plenty loud. Many here swear that ported is the way to go. I cant emagine actualy enjoying my music if it was any louder and moved more air. But what do I know.

helotaxi
02-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Sub, application and personal preference. Those are the variables you are dealing with. If you have the space to work with, a ported enclosure with the proper volume and tuning will sound very close to a sealed box but be about 3dB louder. The cost for the free output is space. The ported enclosure will probably end up more than twice as big as the sealed enclosure by the time you figure in port displacement.

Putting a sub in the wrong enclosure will sound bad period whether it's sealed or ported. Some subs sound terrible in one enclosure type but really shine in the other type. These are things that you have to know to get the most out of a sub system.

sleeper91
02-15-2006, 07:36 PM
what about internal cubes? i have a sub recomending a 1.5 cu ft but the only box ported i can find is 1.75 cu ft so is this going to affect the preformance at all if so what are the effects????

SAG3
02-15-2006, 09:25 PM
.........Ive gone back and forth. I started with sealed, loved it, tried vented, loved it.......and my ultimate opinion......sealed is just more accurate. Sealed is NOT as loud and powerful, but you hear much more bass riffs with the sealed application.
uh..............we already know that

joetama
02-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Volume = Ported
Quality = IB

But that's not always true, depends on the sub, wattage, freq responce curve, personal listening pref, etc etc etc etc. Really honestly too many varibles to make a perfect case.

christiankills
02-15-2006, 09:50 PM
I go for sealed. Only because I listen to hardcore.

rock has so many fast bass hits, a ported just wont cut it. you'd need that quick response.

Slammed
02-15-2006, 10:00 PM
I go for sealed. Only because I listen to hardcore.

rock has so many fast bass hits, a ported just wont cut it. you'd need that quick response.

a well designed, low tuned, vented enclosure can give you that ;)

joetama
02-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Agreed....

Lakota
02-15-2006, 10:05 PM
They each have their own purposes. My subs are sealed, and I'm not to sure how these oldschool Kickers will do ported. I'd like to see what they'd do.

Slammed
02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
some subs are designed for sealed enclosures

ex: round Kicker Solos...HSU Research subs

joetama
02-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Depends on the sub like i said lol.....

lebomb
02-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Im not knocking ported, because when I went from sealed to ported on my CompVR I was blown away by the SPL increase, but......going back to sealed, all my music sounds right again. I hear the kick drums more, and on other types of music other than bass heavy, it just sounds wonderful.

As yall have said, that is the difference between sealed and ported.

I guess Im just a sealed guy. :imdama:

VereChronicus
02-16-2006, 01:49 AM
That is what SOME have said. The way to really "try" to compare is to take a look at super high dollar home audio systems. The subwoofers come in both ported and sealed offerings. To move the piston as LITTLE as possible is the name of the game when it comes to distortion, so tons of surface area makes output possible with little excursion. Most larger subs have extreme mass to go along with them, so most companies stick with 15's 12's and 10's. Servo controlled systems do the job well also. Martin Logan broke out a big *** system that utilizes a bunch of 12" subwoofers in sealed enclosures. Tight impact and very good low frequency extension with tons of cone area making excursion very minimal to achieve high output. To think that "a ported enclosure" cannot track with heavy metal kick drums only comes from a particular A/B comparison that someone may have made. Not all sealed applications will fit into "A" nor all ported into "B". The guys that own Rainbow use a pair of DD 3512's in a ported enclosure in their SQ demo vehicle in Germany. There is truth to one being better than the other via personal preference, but it is only true to yourself. I've got a personal preference for multiple TL enclosures as well as ELF circuitry running multiple smaller drivers. My home system consists of two 4.5" wide x 8.5" long x 48" tall that each house (8) 6.5's. That is the cone area of (2) 18" subwoofers with the speed of 6.5's. Pure cone area along with the Bagend ELF circuit enables them to hit blue whale ejaculation frequencies. I'm all 'bout it-bout it' if it gets fairly low and loud and can track with Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy when they're pissed off.

lebomb
02-16-2006, 09:04 AM
That is what SOME have said. The way to really "try" to compare is to take a look at super high dollar home audio systems. The subwoofers come in both ported and sealed offerings. To move the piston as LITTLE as possible is the name of the game when it comes to distortion, so tons of surface area makes output possible with little excursion. Most larger subs have extreme mass to go along with them, so most companies stick with 15's 12's and 10's. Servo controlled systems do the job well also. Martin Logan broke out a big *** system that utilizes a bunch of 12" subwoofers in sealed enclosures. Tight impact and very good low frequency extension with tons of cone area making excursion very minimal to achieve high output. To think that "a ported enclosure" cannot track with heavy metal kick drums only comes from a particular A/B comparison that someone may have made. Not all sealed applications will fit into "A" nor all ported into "B". The guys that own Rainbow use a pair of DD 3512's in a ported enclosure in their SQ demo vehicle in Germany. There is truth to one being better than the other via personal preference, but it is only true to yourself. I've got a personal preference for multiple TL enclosures as well as ELF circuitry running multiple smaller drivers. My home system consists of two 4.5" wide x 8.5" long x 48" tall that each house (8) 6.5's. That is the cone area of (2) 18" subwoofers with the speed of 6.5's. Pure cone area along with the Bagend ELF circuit enables them to hit blue whale ejaculation frequencies. I'm all 'bout it-bout it' if it gets fairly low and loud and can track with Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy when they're pissed off.

Great comment..............thanks. :D

ighettoboyi
02-16-2006, 11:09 AM
sealed is great...but if you're lookin for boom (like jiggaboo tracks), ported is the only way to go :)

lebomb
02-16-2006, 11:17 AM
sealed is great...but if you're lookin for boom (like jiggaboo tracks), ported is the only way to go :)

What about Classical tracks??? :eyebrow:

jimmyjames1700
02-16-2006, 12:58 PM
a well designed, low tuned, vented enclosure can give you that ;)

I disagree. In the realm of vehicles you get such a huge LF gain from the vehicles natural transfer function that a low tuned enclosure (say around 30Hz and less) has a way over emphazised low end that it adversely affects transient response. Not to mention that generally the lower you tune a vented enclosure the more you will encounter group delay which also affects transients.

I think that if you crave some extra thump and must go ported but still want the good transients, you are best of tuning the enclosure around 35-40 Hz or even slightly higher. Just be sure to not over size the enclosure so you can control the ripple around the tuning frequency.

A sealed enclosure is the best suited for a vehicle because they hit thier -3dB pint higher and get a perfect compliment from your own car. Just the opposite for a house however where you desire the lower -3dB down point and lower excursion.

squeak9798
02-16-2006, 01:08 PM
That is the cone area of (2) 18" subwoofers with the speed of 6.5's.

:crazy: :waycrazy: :eyebrow:

jimmyjames1700
02-16-2006, 02:50 PM
tee...hee!!!!!!!!!:D

JimJ
02-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Speed of 6.5's?

JimJ
02-16-2006, 02:53 PM
I disagree. In the realm of vehicles you get such a huge LF gain from the vehicles natural transfer function that a low tuned enclosure (say around 30Hz and less) has a way over emphazised low end that it adversely affects transient response.

I have an enclosure tuned to 27Hz...transient response isn't affected adversely at all. The low end could get overpowering if I wanted it to, sure...but dialed back and blended with the soundstage, it's very accurate and musical.

Now tuning much below 25Hz truly is a waste of time in a vehicle...

squeak9798
02-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Speed of 6.5's?

Yeah dude...it's sort of like the tortoise and the hare......they are so fast that when they play a 50hz tone, they get their 50 cycles done in 3/4 of a second and take a quarter second break.

denim
02-16-2006, 03:22 PM
hey lebomb, I dont recognize you topics with out some booty shots in them,

but I prefer the response of sealed, but I would love to build a TL box next

lebomb
02-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Thread starter = retard

[/Thread]

above poster= ******* who could have avoided said thread

:eyebrow:

Ignatowski
02-16-2006, 08:31 PM
depends on sub,depends on enclosure.
Usually sealed is tighter,but ported can be alot of fun
I love my old M6 ported vs sealed
I hated my 8500 ported and liked it better sealed....

ngsm13
02-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Thread starter = retard

[/thread]

Indeed.

nG

Chevyaudio
02-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Jmac...FTW

ramos
02-17-2006, 08:21 AM
My subs are sealed, and I'm not to sure how these oldschool Kickers will do ported. I'd like to see what they'd do.

No you wouldn't. Keep the round ( original ) solo's in small sealed enclosures. They were designed from the ground up with that intention. When they first came out the only way to acheive a comparable size sealed box with other subs was to go isobaric. :)

lebomb
02-17-2006, 02:09 PM
:rolleyes: Maybe you should know what the **** you're talking about before you make a thread, n00b ... oh, and make it in the right section, but I don't think reading comprehension or logical thinking are your strong suits either ...

No comment.

Have a good day.