PDA

View Full Version : Mod # 1: Security

negativezeroz
02-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Well you all might have seen my other thread about Cobalt SS vs Civic Si...well let's just say...I just got back from ordering the Si. :D :D It will be here in May so I have til then to buy things for it.

My first order of business will be security. Tint, siren(s), alarm, possibly killswitch.

Preferrably Clifford or Viper alarm. Siren, dunno help me there. I can deal with tint. Anyone have a killswitch, if so how does yours work?

All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

GCAdidas13
02-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Well you all might have seen my other thread about Cobalt SS vs Civic Si...well let's just say...I just got back from ordering the Si. :D :D It will be here in May so I have til then to buy things for it.

My first order of business will be security. Tint, siren(s), alarm, possibly killswitch.

Preferrably Clifford or Viper alarm. Siren, dunno help me there. I can deal with tint. Anyone have a killswitch, if so how does yours work?

All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
Viper 791xv (or something like that): Best alarm ever, just under $200

The siren that comes with it is fine (standard six tone) but if you want something else you should get a battery backup - meaning that if it is somehow disconnected from the battery (i.e. someone removes power to your car or security system) it will go off. Kind of annoying IMO.

Whats a killswitch for?

negativezeroz
02-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Viper 791xv (or something like that): Best alarm ever, just under $200

The siren that comes with it is fine (standard six tone) but if you want something else you should get a battery backup - meaning that if it is somehow disconnected from the battery (i.e. someone removes power to your car or security system) it will go off. Kind of annoying IMO.

Whats a killswitch for?

Well not sure if killswitch was right word...but device you have to push/hold/etc THEN you are able to start the ignition.

What about the Clifford G5 Intelliguard 750? How does it compare to the Viper. I know both are DEI but just wondering if there's a difference. I've always wanted the 791XV. :yumyum:

negativezeroz
02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
bump

project f-150
02-15-2006, 10:24 PM
The only time you would need a kill switch on this car is if you believe someone who would want to steal your car would have acess to your keys. Other than that your car would be very hard to get without use of a flatbed. And if your looking at the 791xv dont forget the immobilizer/transponder bypass dei part #556uw

negativezeroz
02-15-2006, 10:27 PM
thanks :) Hopefully gonna start piecing together things for my Si soon as possible. Waiting on my tax returns.

6spdcoupe
02-16-2006, 02:10 AM
. And if your looking at the 791xv dont forget the immobilizer/transponder bypass dei part #556uw

actually it would be 556H unless he Wants to sacrifice an expensive key.

6spdcoupe
02-16-2006, 02:11 AM
Do yourself a favor and have shop sell you/install the alarm. Your lifetime warranty will thank you later.

The G5 is the better choice, security wise, but you lose the 2-way. If you want to wait a bit longer and spend the extra coin hold out for the G5 5.5X.

GCAdidas13
02-16-2006, 02:17 AM
edit (i'm a noob)

Randy Savage
02-16-2006, 02:22 AM
Don't make his decisions for him.

Negative, if you have any previous experience of soldering and/or working with "find this wire and cut it, solder to it", its not really hard at all.

I'm a little mechanically oriented, don't get me wrong, but it really was easy for me. To learn how to solder and wrap with tape, I re-did my Head Unit harness.

With only that as practice, I put my car into the garage and tapped into all of the necessary wires, soldered, and taped, and it worked flawlessly.

Something about saving $300 and doing it myself appealed to me.

PM me if you intend on doing it yourself for some tips

Some cars are near impossible for someone to do on their first go around.

Especially new cars.

When he attempts to do it himself and runs into a problem because he needs a second starter, which happens to be negative trigger, and requires a resistor and a relay installed, you gonna tell him how to do it over the computer?

Or what happens if he has 4 wire reverse doorlocks?

Not gonna be fun.

GCAdidas13
02-16-2006, 02:40 AM

Especially new cars.

When he attempts to do it himself and runs into a problem because he needs a second starter, which happens to be negative trigger, and requires a resistor and a relay installed, you gonna tell him how to do it over the computer?

Not gonna be fun.
I retract my previous statment. Thanks

Randy Savage
02-16-2006, 02:48 AM
I retract my previous statment. Thanks

:p:

Some cars are cake...Honda's/Hyundai's/Toyota's/a lot of Fords are easy...

GCAdidas13
02-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Roger - My camry was simple.

6spdcoupe
02-16-2006, 03:16 AM
:p:

Some cars are cake...Honda's/Hyundai's/Toyota's/a lot of Fords are easy...

Lotsa Nissans too. ;)

Fords and their **** GEM modules...blah

negativezeroz
02-16-2006, 09:24 AM

What does the 556H/UW do exactly? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to alarms :blush: Does it just like prevent the car from being able to start w/o turning off the alarm ??

I want to buy all my security stuff soon like within next two weeks or so. I have a Viper 350HV BNIB I could sell for money to get the 791.

6spdcoupe
02-16-2006, 11:37 AM
556H is a learning bypass for the Honda/Acura immobilizor. Unlike the 556U, it doesnt require a key to be left inside of it.

Black_Jesus
02-16-2006, 12:38 PM
get the 791 u wont be sorry

i know i love mine...

and my 6 sirens :)

just the arm/disarm chirp is louder than most all other car alarms out here when they are going full blast ahahah

Randy Savage
02-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Lotsa Nissans too. ;)

Fords and their **** GEM modules...blah

Nissan's are easy...but for a newbie, it would be fun to see them try and get 2nd starter :)

I think Fords are cake...Explorer's/F series pickups are easy as hell :)

6spdcoupe
02-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Nissan's are easy...but for a newbie, it would be fun to see them try and get 2nd starter :)

I think Fords are cake...Explorer's/F series pickups are easy as hell :)

LoL I do so many Nissans/Infinitis I wasnt even thinking of the second starter. Also newer gen Maximas with the tach behind the cluster may not be for a newb to attempt either. Now if Maxima would go back to how they were for '00/'01 with the doorlock wires INside the car, I could get them done in under 45mins, unlike the others...

Fords are cake, just more time consuming on occasion. Especially older ones with 5 wire, although thats where the 451M comes in. :D

Randy Savage
02-16-2006, 03:20 PM
LoL I do so many Nissans/Infinitis I wasnt even thinking of the second starter. Also newer gen Maximas with the tach behind the cluster may not be for a newb to attempt either. Now if Maxima would go back to how they were for '00/'01 with the doorlock wires INside the car, I could get them done in under 45mins, unlike the others...

Fords are cake, just more time consuming on occasion. Especially older ones with 5 wire, although thats where the 451M comes in. :D

Dude...one of my installers did a 2000ish Infinity I30 I think it was (the Maxima clone) and he unplugged both harnesses at the brake...it took me a good hour to get those both plugged in...we had to drop the steering column and it was still nearly impossible...I cut the **** out of my whole forearm doing that :furious:

6spdcoupe
02-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Dude...one of my installers did a 2000ish Infinity I30 I think it was (the Maxima clone) and he unplugged both harnesses at the brake...it took me a good hour to get those both plugged in...we had to drop the steering column and it was still nearly impossible...I cut the **** out of my whole forearm doing that :furious:

Tehehehehe, next time, grab it in the driver kickpanel.Same color, just ALOT easier.

In the 4th gen Maximas you can grab lights,door trigger,trunk release,trunk trigger and brake there. ;)

jrouter76
02-16-2006, 05:45 PM

Especially new cars.

Not gonna be fun.
I sent you a pm concerning door locks 4-wire reverse doorlocks?

BodegaBay
02-25-2006, 02:35 PM
...If you want to wait a bit longer and spend the extra coin hold out for the G5 5.5X.

Don,

When is the Clifford AvantGuard 5.5X scheduled to be released? MSRP?

6spdcoupe
02-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Don,

When is the Clifford AvantGuard 5.5X scheduled to be released? MSRP?

LMAO who knows at this point. Last I heard was late first quarter. Although I heard the same thing last year. :rolleyes:

Ive had one backordered since. :crazy:

BodegaBay
02-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Still vaporware eh? It's not a good sign (product performance, reliability, etc) when a company falls 1 year behind on a released date. Too bad.

In the meantime, can you tell me why the G5 would be better than the Matrix series, security wise? I really like the utility of the 2-way system from all the Directed clones...

6spdcoupe
02-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Well I suppose its work in progress for perfection....

As far as the difference, its the same as all the other G4/G5s offering all the bells&whistles Blackjax,etc but now with two-way color scrolling LCD. So basically its a G5 unit cliffnet compatable of course, but only adding on two way functionality. So with that in mind, I believe it to be superior to the 3.5/791 hybrids. Although you can also add sensors and such onto those, making them somewhat comparible. Also supposedly it is going to have 1mile range to compete with some other brands I wont mention. :)

Ill be meeting with DEI next weekend, picking their brain a bit about releasing this and what can be expected.

On a side note, they did a great job on all the new '06 models offering a ton more goodies to enjoy.

95Eclipse
02-26-2006, 10:47 PM
556h doesn't work with the NEW Civic or Civic SI...
different coding... same looking key though...

THUNDERBIRD
02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
my ford was easy to install in. and i am gonna add remote start soon. but if u never done one before they are a lil overwhelming with all the wires, but if u arleady have the 350hv u can just get a 551t or 561t which is the remote start addon.

xterra02_pat
02-27-2006, 12:07 PM
I duno if your still thinkin about the killswitch, but hopefully not. I had one in my Xterra, it was the biggest pain you can ever imagine in your life. I had stick also so that just made it even worse with the killswitch, esecially if someone stalls and then you have to fumble around to find the killswitch then start your car. But beyond that having to tell anyshop u take your car to how to start your car and they forget and call you. It just ends up be such a hassle and IMO unless you live or work somewhere and you leave your keys out, its a waste of time and money. I ended up ripping mine out I was so fed up with it