PDA

View Full Version : subs to house radio

pitbull12888
02-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I used to have a friend that had his subs and a amp hooked up to his house radio. Any ideas how to do this?
thanks
michael

joetama
02-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Oh yea? Check some of the posts on here and you might be able to figure it out...

joetama
02-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Alright, someone is being an *** and neged me. I'll explain this out so who ever thinks i'm not being fair or whatever can go **** a donkey ****. You may recall the saying you can give a man some fish and he can have a good meal or you can teach someone to fish and he can eat his entire life. The best way to learn something is figuring it out yourself.

Anyway, first off if it is car audio stuff that you want to hook up you need to get a power supply. A big power supply that will supply enough current to the amplifier. Some people have suggested that a moded computer supply will be enough, and should be. Then you need to figure out how to hook the amp up to the home audio stuff. If you're lucky it will have some type of pre-out, if not you're up the creek. So to give a visual.

Speaker <- Amp <- Source (Reciever/Head Unit)
"__________^- Power Supply <- 120 Volt Wall Plug

Note: If you need to be careful if your source isn't the right output gain structure you could blow stuff up.... Have fun experimenting.

IamDeMan
02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Alright, someone is being an *** and neged me. I'll explain this out so who ever thinks i'm not being fair or whatever can go **** a donkey ****. You may recall the saying you can give a man some fish and he can have a good meal or you can teach someone to fish and he can eat his entire life. The best way to learn something is figuring it out yourself.

Anyway, first off if it is car audio stuff that you want to hook up you need to get a power supply. A big power supply that will supply enough current to the amplifier. Some people have suggested that a moded computer supply will be enough, and should be. Then you need to figure out how to hook the amp up to the home audio stuff. If you're lucky it will have some type of pre-out, if not you're up the creek. So to give a visual.

Speaker <- Amp <- Source (Reciever/Head Unit)
"__________^- Power Supply <- 120 Volt Wall Plug

Note: If you need to be careful if your source isn't the right output gain structure you could blow stuff up.... Have fun experimenting.If he'd just use the search button, he'd figure out that in the end it isn't worth it anyway.

joetama
02-14-2006, 02:44 PM
LOL.... So true so true.....

ngsm13
02-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Indeed.

NG

Prowler573
02-14-2006, 02:51 PM
If he'd just use the search button, he'd figure out that in the end it isn't worth it anyway.
that's very dependent on why an individual would be wanting to move mobile audio gear indoors in the first place.

Say you've got a ride. You've setup a fairly nice stereo system in said ride. Through no fault of your own the ride gets totaled and isn't going to get replaced anytime soon, if ever. Okay - now you've got all this mobile audio gear but no ride to put it in. Additionally, since previously you rarely spent enough time indoors to even turn a radio on much less listen to it for any length of time you don't own any home audio equipment worth mentioning.

Well, now since you have no ride you'll be spending alot of time at home (if for no other reason than lack of options) and you'd like ot listen to some tunes. :idea: Hey! I've got a heap of audio gear but no way to hook it up inside! <---- This person may well find it a worthy investment to purchase a high output power supply to run their mobile gear indoors. :)

pitbull12888
02-14-2006, 04:31 PM
OK so what about this???
http://www.cascadeaudio.com/aps.html
Thanks

Prowler573
02-14-2006, 04:35 PM
OK so what about this???
Thanks

I have no experience with that particular brand.....I use Pyramid power supplies (strangely enough I wouldn't own any Pyramid car audio but I wouldn't own any other brand of power supply - never had on let me down yet)

Have a look here (http://www.baproducts.com/pyramid.htm)

joetama
02-14-2006, 05:30 PM
I would make sure that you have some type of source unit before shelling out any cash for a power supply.... But those are decent, and the pyramids are also decent enough to get the job done.

Prowler573
02-14-2006, 05:32 PM
I would make sure that you have some type of source unit before shelling out any cash for a power supply.... But those are decent, and the pyramids are also decent enough to get the job done.

A source being available would certainly be a good starting point...

Pyramid power supplies: For cheap + reliable they're tough to beat :)

joetama
02-14-2006, 05:35 PM
I didn't mean it like Pyramids aren't any good, they are good I put the "," in the wrong place man....

ngsm13
02-14-2006, 05:45 PM
OK so what about this???
Thanks

That one says it converts 220VAC to 12v DC ... not the standard 120VAC that we have here in the US. ;)

NG

joetama
02-14-2006, 05:48 PM
****, I missed that.... After rereading it I saw that.....

Prowler573
02-14-2006, 05:49 PM
That one says it converts 220VAC to 12v DC ... not the standard 120VAC that we have here in the US. ;)

NG
Only the APS-55 220V model, not all of them.

pitbull12888
02-14-2006, 06:57 PM
yea i missed the 220 part to.I think i read on here that you can just have a car battery with a charger hooked up to it.Ill proly just try this for right now.
Thanks

joetama
02-14-2006, 06:58 PM
That works, I know people who have done that.... It's prolly one of the cheapest and easiest ways of doing it....

JimJ
02-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Hooking up a subwoofer for a dedicated radio is almost a waste of time anyway...with the bandwidth used for FM transmission, most stations are going to heavily rolloff the subbass region.

joetama
02-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Radio *****, most stations compress the **** out of the sound anyway which ruins all the depth and quality....

ngsm13
02-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Make sure you used a sealed gel cell. I recommend a red top or yellow top with the car charger.

If you're interested, I have a red top I'd sell you cheap.

nG