PDA

View Full Version : CONFUSED! Receievers,speakers etc

86yota
02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
OK I know car audio, but want to do a HT setup in my room. I have a 12" DVC 4 OHM Massive sub in a box and stuff already I want to use. I have some speakers too. So what do I need to power all this? A receiever?? Anything else? What about plate amps and stuff..im lost! help a n00bx out

j3bus2k3
02-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Think of it this way....your receiver is like an amp you'd use to power components/coaxials and whatnot. It receives the signal from a tv, tuner, dvd player, etc. and distributes power to the speakers. A plate amp is like a monoblock for your sub, but the plate amp gets its signal directly from the receiver instead of the tv, tuner, dvd player. helping at all? The receiver is really the centerpoint of the HT, does all the processing, EQ's....hope that helps put it into terms.

86yota
02-13-2006, 03:13 PM
So I need to hook the receiever up to like a CD player or DVD or somethin to play music to. Then I would hook the plate amp up to the receiever. But can I just power the sub from the receiver? I dont need many watts.

j3bus2k3
02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
So I need to hook the receiever up to like a CD player or DVD or somethin to play music to. Then I would hook the plate amp up to the receiever. But can I just power the sub from the receiver? I dont need many watts.

You could power the subwoofer off the receiver but your going to find that higher end units use a RCA pre-out, if thats where your thinking about goin. If not, simply build a box for your sub with a terminal cup and wire to your receiver and you should be good to go.

86yota
02-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Someone is trading me a 5 Disc sony home theatre thing tomorrow. 4 channel...like 500 watts. Has 2 towers with 1 sub and 1 mid/high speaker in each. Also an EQ. Im trading an old amp I dont use anymore for it..Visonik 400 watt. good deal for some just bumpin in my room? Yeah I got a 12" massive in a box with terminals so Im just gonna hook it up to that.

j3bus2k3
02-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Yea you should be good to go. If You've got a TV, MP3 player, Xbox/ps2 you could plug them into it to and have a kick-*** little setup

joetama
02-14-2006, 12:06 AM
Yep