PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood XXV-01D vs Clarion DXZ865MP

Fate710
02-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Been looking over both of them and can't decide which one to get. By specs the kenwood looks like to be a little bit better but I like the touchscreen of the clarion alot. Let me know what your guys opinions of these HUs are

Loud3
02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
detest touchscreens. Useless to me.

Just one more thing to go wrong, and passengers LOVE to mess them up.

While I LOVE Clarion, I'm going to vote XXV on this one.

makdaddy
02-09-2006, 02:39 AM
The XXV-01D is top of the line quality.
I like mine very much, I have steering wheel controls so touch screen not an issue.

If you play a lot of CD,s the 24 bit DAC converter in the Kenwood is sweet, not sure how the Clarion specs out.
just my 2Cents

EvilSquid
02-09-2006, 10:50 AM
While Ive not used the Clarion model, I'm also not a big fan of touchscreen....

I have the XXV-01D and absolutely love it... it sounds great.. was easy to install.. and I personally like the menus (altho, ive read some people arent too fond of them)...

The one and only complaint I have is with my Sirius SIR-KEN1 Satellite Tuner... it tends sit there on "waiting" while trying to connect to the service when i turn the car back on... its easily fixed by cycling through all the sources.. but its quite annoying.. (the problem as Ive found is with the tuner, not the head unit)... if you plan on getting satellite with the XXV-01D, you might consider getting a Kenwood KTC-SR903 tuner from ebay..

BodegaBay
02-09-2006, 01:36 PM
If it helps any, I'm currently evaluating the (25th Anniv) eXcelon XXV-01D and previously had a ($1K) Clarion DRZ9255 (any many other brands as well) to compare. I'm highly impressed with the XXV, moreso than I would have ever thought of Kenwood.

The Burr-Brown DACs on this Kenwood is very good. I don't know what Kenwood did but it's implentation of the unit seems to be very musical and full bodied. To compare, Alpine seems thin, Eclipse analytical, and Clarion warm (at least with the DRZ, the DXZ might be different). The Kenwood's OEL screen is top notch and one of the best I've ever used.

Why don't you buy both through Crutchfield and return the unit you don't like? They have an excellent 30-day return policy.

BodegaBay
02-09-2006, 01:40 PM
...The one and only complaint I have is with my Sirius SIR-KEN1 Satellite Tuner... it tends sit there on "waiting" while trying to connect to the service when i turn the car back on... its easily fixed by cycling through all the sources.. but its quite annoying.. (the problem as Ive found is with the tuner, not the head unit)... if you plan on getting satellite with the XXV-01D, you might consider getting a Kenwood KTC-SR903 tuner from ebay..

Or if you prefer, go with XM satellite. Although Kenwood does not advertise it as XM ready (they have a licensing deal with Sirius), Directed and Terk make a tuner + smart adapter for Kenwood HU and is instantaneous in connection.

EvilSquid
02-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Or if you prefer, go with XM satellite. Although Kenwood does not advertise it as XM ready (they have a licensing deal with Sirius), Directed and Terk make a tuner + smart adapter for Kenwood HU and is instantaneous in connection.

I did not know this... thanks for the info... I might change over if XM ever starts carrying the NFL station... :cool:

Fate710
02-10-2006, 03:44 PM
well I think I'm going with the Kenwood. I'll also been getting Sirus so I'll be looking into the correct tuner.