PDA

View Full Version : alpine 9855... kinda strange

thefunkybunch
02-06-2006, 09:26 PM
i noticed in my 9855 (and several others i installed) that the volume would rise consistantly to about a volume level of 25, and then would plateau. from 25-35 wouldn't do ANYTHING different. kinda strange. tried running power to battery, no difference at all. tried changing gain settings on the amp (lower and higher) and no change at all. i wonder if alpine did like a protection circuit (like GM radios) that once they reach a certain volume level, the volume won't increase. but with GM radios the bass is attenuated above that volume level to save the speakers. i called alpine, they were no help at all. anyone else have an issue with that or even notice it? i'm convinced that it's just the radio because i've noticed it in several different units (all running external amplifiers). or maybe we just got a bad batch of units or something... i'm stumped. if it weren't for that, i'd be perfectly content with the deck, but it's obnoxious. i know the speakers have MUCH more to offer than what they'll do currently, i definitely don't run crappy equipment. just that much incentive to switch to the 9255 i guess:eyebrow:

docutech
02-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I have noticed this too on my HU. It does however make a HUGE difference between 30 and 35 and especialy 34 to 35. Weird.

pellis
02-07-2006, 10:17 AM
i noticed the same thing around 2 wks ago.

spudracer326
02-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Ive noticed the same thing but for me it gets to loud at 25 to listen to it for extended periods.

dnosryd
02-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Same thing here on mine. Even more noticeable when I go into the custom settings or MX as it seems I need it to go louder I go past 25.

Chevyaudio
02-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Do all of yall have amps for your mids and tweeters???

docutech
02-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Do all of yall have amps for your mids and tweeters???

Oh yea. I gots amps:up2somet: Although increasing the volume past 25 on my HU becomes somewhat of a painfull experience, I did want to throw in my 2 cents regarding the volume change (or lack there of) from 25 to 30.
Mabe it is trying to tell me something :crazy:

Chevyaudio
02-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Pretty sure because once your HU reaches max preout voltage, The amplifier wont increase the power to the spekers, because it can't.

thefunkybunch
02-07-2006, 07:38 PM
but why would it max out the pre-out voltage at 70% volume? most decks will start clipping at about 90% volume, and the old alpines never had any issues like this. even last years alpines didn't have this issue. i am running external amplifiers (hence how i played with the gains to see if it changed anything) running 3way mode with 2 amps on the components, and one amp on the subs. i never use the MX because it's really just a distortion button. it sounds fantastic without it on, if it's turned on it sounds fine at low volumes, but over about 20 the highs lose all of their crispness and the subs get muddy as hell. with it off, it's fine. even at full volume, there is no noticeable distortion, but also no real noticeable volume gains between 25 and 35. i have also noticed that going from 34 to 35 does make a gain, however i never really turn it up that loud.

at least i'm not the only one, so i guess i'm not all that crazy :)

dimond
02-07-2006, 08:52 PM
for the volume problem...u would need to turn off the MX function...
without the MX the volume level will increase...tested with couple of speakers, amps, to see if it was the amp or speaker problem. Its the HU.

thefunkybunch
02-08-2006, 09:20 PM
i do leave MX off. as i said before, the only noticeable gains i can see is adding plenty of distortion.

OC33
02-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Found the same issue with mine so can I max out my gain cuz only getting 70% from my head unit or is that a bad idea.

helotaxi
02-13-2006, 01:53 AM
I remember hearing that someone tested the preouts on an Alpine unit a while back (about 2 years actually) and the preouts started to clip at 26. That would equate to no increase in volume, only in distortion past that point. I would suggest setting your gain based on that volume setting.

vladd
02-13-2006, 02:02 AM
I would love to see actual tests of that...interesting to say the least

coolman91985
02-14-2006, 12:43 AM
reading these posts might change my mind about buying a 9855...

Ctminime
02-14-2006, 01:01 AM
me and my buddy both have these decks me(9855) him(9853) and neither of this have this problem but we have both had ours less than 2 months or so.... so i donno.... he has amped speakers and im still stuck with stock but we dont have this issue.... maybe in some of those "sectret deck settengs" (source+next track) combinations that i have heard about (altho never trying myself) may bring an answer.... but reguardless no problems here

Xplod_ur_mind
02-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Had the same problem with this unit,runningon a full Alpine system,tried every trick no diff.Got rid off it to many disappointing factors on it!Maybe a serious factory booboo!!!

cyantist
02-18-2006, 05:12 PM
I don't have that problem with mine at all.. May be amp gain settings? Set your gains properly with a DMM and see if you still have this problem.. Def sounds strange to me.. So far I really like my 9855.. Had it installed for almost a week now and still getting used to it.. I saw this thread a while back and had to test it for this problem you describe.. All I can say is mine doesn't do this, so I would be inclined to look elsewhere for the source of the problem..

Now, what's this I hear about "secret deck settings"??

thefunkybunch
02-18-2006, 09:13 PM
believe me, i've done everything possible with the amp gains, as well as trying to set all the eq's and everything to flat... still same thing. they may have had a bad run of decks or something, i dunno. i'll have to call alpine again monday because the more i think about it, the more irritating it is

DiDan
02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
just try setting all levels in the crossover-section to -3.
i do not have an alpine but they are very popular in germany and many people have had issues with them.
setting all preout-levels to -3 in the crossover section seemed to help them out. something wrong in the software of the DSP.