PDA

View Full Version : Engineers *can be* dumb

thylantyr
02-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Nobody believes me when I tell them that I've seen so many dumb engineers
{in person} in my career.

Maybe this post sheds some light.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=641358

So, I am ready to set up my first A/V receiver tonight and I open up the manual to my Harman/Kardon AVR 235 and begin reading and get totally lost by the 16th page.. Please, tell me it is not this difficult. As an Engineer, I thought this would be a pieve of cake, but they start talking about all these dolby modes and delays and compression... Where is the idiots guide for this thing!!!

JimJ
02-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Can be?

Isn't the correct phrase, "engineers can be intelligent sometimes?" :D

ballstothewall
02-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey, I'M an engineering major (arch. eng.). If an engineer can't figure out a fricking receiver, he either hasen't graduated, or is just plain stupid.

thylantyr
02-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Imagine that guy on Apollo 13 ............ hehehe

ballstothewall
02-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Imagine that guy on Apollo 13 ............ hehehe

*radio crackle*Uhh, Houston, we have a problem...
*long pause* Reading you loud and clear Apollo 13, what is your status?
*crackle* Ummm.....Yea..... Our Oxygen gague is going down pretty fast. Now I don't remember, is that a bad thing?

Shugarra
02-06-2006, 07:09 PM
He doesn't say what kind of engineer he is, though. If he were electrical or computer I would be a little disturbed but if he is a civil or to a lesser extent mechanical there is no reason they should be expected to understand the intricacies of an electrical component (not that setting up a receiver is especially difficult, just saying). You don't expect a gynecologist to do brain surgery, even though he is a doctor, do you?

ballstothewall
02-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Even mechanicals have to take electronics classes.

My dad is a M.E. and he knows at TON of electrical/electronic stuff, along with being like reallllly fricking smart.

joetama
02-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, from my experience alot of the guys in my Electrical Engineering classes are just idiots. But, there are lots of engineers that are smart and savy with things and not total jerk offs...

GemaRastem
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
I am going to an all engineering school, lots of smart people here, but a lot more dumb asses. Luckily by senior year most of them have dropped out because this school is hardcore.

ndnbolla
02-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey, the more retarded electrical engineering students we have as classmates, the better chance we have at finding a job. :naughty:

But hey, atleast the dude is reading the manual.

mattmcss
02-06-2006, 07:57 PM
I am going to an all engineering school, lots of smart people here, but a lot more dumb asses. Luckily by senior year most of them have dropped out because this school is hardcore.

What school do ya go to ?

ballstothewall
02-06-2006, 08:08 PM
About any good engineering school is hardcore...

Kansas State University > *

jrz126
02-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I've seen my fair share of ******* engineering students (I'm going for electrical and computer).

He's probably a professor or going to be one.

JimJ
02-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Go Hokies...:D

I'm the peculiar oddity...a business major who can read a schematic and doesn't draw a deer-in-the-headlights look when "Kirchoff's Voltage Law" is brought up in conversation. Just can't hack the calculus, though :crap:

ballstothewall
02-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I've seen my fair share of ******* engineering students (I'm going for electrical and computer).

He's probably a professor or going to be one.

Just remember,

Those who can do.
Those who can't teach.
Those who can't do either, administrate.

Untouchable11
02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Just can't hack the calculus, though :crap:

I think that is what my shortfall is going to be... 2nd time taking it, and god, I hate it even more this time...

ballstothewall
02-06-2006, 09:21 PM
I've got to take calc 1, 2 and 3, plus Differiential Equations....

Oh and engineering physics I & II

Not cool

Untouchable11
02-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Yep, calc 1, 2, 3, Differential Equations :(

Engineering Physics I, II

Numerical Methods, Thermodynamics

Biomedical Engineering anyone?

ballstothewall
02-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Architectural Engineering

I am thinking about doing the minor for room acoustics, someone told me about that the other day and got me thinking.

swimfreak26
02-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Yep, calc 1, 2, 3, Differential Equations

Engineering Physics I, II

Numerical Methods, Thermodynamics

Biomedical Engineering anyone?

Took calc 1,2,3, still need diff eqns, but I don't think I'm going to take it seeing as I'm in the classes that it's a prerequisite for and I'm doing fine.

Engineering physics I and II, been there, done that :)

Thermodynamics...which one? We have a physics thermo class that deals with macroscopic things and heat transfer, and we have a physical chem course that deals with a molecular statistical approach to thermo. I took that one, a bit tricky, but not nearly as difficult as quantum chem.

Sounds like we've got a lot of engineers/science guys around here. My advice, learn the calc and learn it well. It makes chemistry and physics courses MUCH easier if you don't have to stumble through the math.

jrz126
02-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Sounds like we've got a lot of engineers/science guys around here. My advice, learn the calc and learn it well. It makes chemistry and physics courses MUCH easier if you don't have to stumble through the math.

Also, picking up one of these guys is very helpful
http://serverb.mywebstore1.com/calculators_/ProdImages/Voy200_l.jpg
I'm pretty much done with my EE degree (just need a few more gen eds). I couldnt use it for the pure math courses, but I could use it for just about every other class. I cant imagine going through most of them without it.

joetama
02-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Calc *****...

ballstothewall
02-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Well, off topic.

I just took a chem test, and failed it....

Well, thats all

RikuY
02-07-2006, 10:37 AM
A lot of engineers in this forum. I am an ME out of school for a couple too many years now. I know enough about this stuff to where I would install all of it and juice it up. Probably blow something up, but then I get to fix it.

(Not really, but since the engineering stereotypes are flying, I felt I should add this in here...)

Just to put teaching into perspective for all of you, two words... Job security. I am not a professor, but looking at it as the options for a private sector job are becoming more scarce. You all in school should be looking around as well.

thylantyr
02-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Engineer on drugs

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/11617/9947/?SQ=7be998173e578e43057b89b2d80a5e40

joetama
02-07-2006, 02:14 PM
A different type of engineer, but I would not let that guy near my console or anywhere near the PA. I would tell him just to leave and that they are going to need to find someone else to mix the show. If no one is around I would do it but they would have to pay me for mixing it. If they gave me static i would start to tear down the PA, it's my gear I can say who gets to run it and who doesnt. We actually have a line in our contract that gives us the power to do this.

GemaRastem
02-07-2006, 10:05 PM
What school do ya go to ?

Milwaukee School of Engineering in Wisconsin

We have calc 1, calc 2, calc 3, diff eq, calc 4, linear algebra, and statistics. and that's just the math

swimfreak26
02-08-2006, 12:23 PM
We have calc 1, calc 2, calc 3, diff eq, calc 4, linear algebra, and statistics. and that's just the math

That's fairly typical for an engineering degree, not above and beyond by any stretch of the imagination. I've had to go through diff eqns for chemistry, no engineering aspect involved. Hell, we have to go through that for ALL science majors (at least BS degrees).